Abb's 1920 memoirs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abb's 1920 memoirs.

I have seen mention of Abb's 1920 memoirs, yet as far as I can discover, they are not mentioned anywhere on this forum and not available anywhere on the net. Can anyone tell me if they are in fact, real, and accessible?

Cheers

Helena
    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Hi Helena,

If you're referencing Abberline's Monte Carlo reminiscences, yes they are real. I saw them about twenty years ago. I regret that I didn't have the wit at the time to make a copy.

They appeared in an early edition of Ripperologist [30-something], but back-numbers are no longer available.

I believe that Paul Begg may have a copy. Drop him a line. He's an amenable sort of chap.

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

These were among handwritten documents by Abberline auctioned in 2008
      The lot is described as follows:-
      "Description: Police memoirs - Frederick George Abberline (1843-1929) Chief Inspector at Scotland Yard, prominent police figure in the investigations into the Jack the Ripper murders. Two handwritten and signed documents. Both headed Reminiscences of ex Detective Chief Inspector F G Abberline CID Scotland Yard, first document of twenty-eight pages recalls an investigation he conducted. Abberline describes this as The Mysteries Disappearance of a Lady. The other document of twelve pages relates to three successive seasons or twelve months behind the scenes at Monte Carlo. Also 1975 newspaper cutting."

You can see a pic of the lot at

Comment

Hi Chris,

Thank you.

Do you know the going price, or if Abberline's notes have already been bought?

The auction website wanted me to commit to an annual fee.

Some hope.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
          Hi Chris,

Thank you.

Do you know the going price, or if Abberline's notes have already been bought?

The auction website wanted me to commit to an annual fee.

Some hope.

Regards,

Simon
          Hi Simon
          I'm afraid I don't know the selling price... they were sold back in 2008 - the entry is headed "2008 - United Kingdom"
          I'd be interested to know the selling price and the buyer!
          Regards
          Chris

Comment

Thanks very much to both of you.

This is just a small throwaway line for my book and not of enormous importance. I merely want to say in my book (as I believe is probably the case) that Abberline never said anything more (publicly) about Chapman being the Ripper, and I thought perhaps I could say that he did not even mention it in his memoirs, so wanted sight of them in order to make 100% certain that what I am writing is correct.

However, if it's going to get very complicated and difficult, it's probably not worth my pursuing it, beyond asking someone who has read them and can confirm that he didn't mention Chapman.

Cheers

Helena
            Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the information.

Never mind the buyer. Having a long time ago seen the documents, I'd like to know the seller.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Working...
              X