Diemschutz and Westow Hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diemschutz and Westow Hill

Below is a pic of Westow Hill where Diemschutz had been prior to his return to Berner Street
    I have no idea what the large tower in the distance is
    This pic was taken about 1898
    Chris
    Attached Files

Hi Chris,

It's a water tower used to supply water pressure to the fountains in Crystal Palace Park. There were two situated in the park and the one in the photo would be the South one. They were designed by Brunel.

Rob

Comment

Hi Rob
      Many thanks for that
      Judging from the size of the houses next to it it was one hell of a size!
      Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
        Judging from the size of the houses next to it it was one hell of a size!
        ...are we sure it's not the anarchist, and sometime frequenter of the Berner Street club, Rudolf Rocket?
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi Chris,

Yes it was huge. This is a photo of the other tower. The Crystal Palace was between the two.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Water tower.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	653859

Rob

Comment

Rob

Great pic of the Crystal Palace - haven't seen that one before
            Any idea of the distance from Westow Hill to Berner Street that Diemschutz would have travelled that night?
            many thanks
            Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

It's about 9 miles from Westow Hill to Berner Street.

Rob

Comment

Blimey!!! Amazing pics!!!......these were some serious towers....How did they work????!!!!

As to Diemschutz I reckon he was selling little pieces of cheap but probably fun geegaws of jewellery (difficult to say that!) ....easily bought by a girl, or a boy who wanted to impress, for a few pennies, or at the most a shilling.

Mr D had probably had a good day until he turned off and the pony thought....'Uh Oh!'.....
                Last edited by Suzi; 05-26-2008, 09:17 PM.
                'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

I'd no idea until now that the Crystal Palace was so huge! And far more of a success in its day that the Millenium Dome ever was or ever will be...

Is anything left of it after it burned down in the 1930's?

Off-thread I know, but I'm interested!

Westow Hill seems to be rather up-market - not knowing London too well is it a street-name or a district?

Cheers,

Graham
                  We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                    Westow Hill seems to be rather up-market - not knowing London too well is it a street-name or a district?
                    It's a street name, Graham, located - so Google Maps tells me - in the district of Upper Norwood.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                      Is anything left of it after it burned down in the 1930's?

Off-thread I know, but I'm interested!

Hi Graham

The grounds of Crystal Palace are now a park and you can stand on the foundations of the building. There are still the original concrete steps that would have led up to the ground floor. Westow Hill is just a street name not a London district and the area is OK but not up-market for London.
                      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                        It's a street name, Graham, located - so Google Maps tells me - in the district of Upper Norwood.
                        Thanks for this, Sam.

Upper Norwood - where Pondicherry Lodge was situated in 'The Sign Of Four'...and the scene of 'The Adventure of the Norwood Builder'.

Elementary.

Cheers,

Graham
                        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

In fact here's a map of the park showing the outline of the Crystal Palace and Westow Hill. The white area behind the Palace is the famous Crystal Palace athletics stadium, which for 30 odd years has been the grottiest major stadium in Western Europe.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	crystal palace.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	653872
                          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Penge down there in the lower right corner would be the site of the famous (fictional) "Penge Bungalow Murders.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine View Post
                              Penge down there in the lower right corner would be the site of the famous (fictional) "Penge Bungalow Murders.
                              Bloodnok: Now you go ahead, Neddie, while I turn a deaf ear.

Seagoon: I didn't know you had a deaf ear.

Bloodnok: Yes, yes! I found it on the floor of a barber-shop in Penge.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Working...
                              X