Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wont kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 11 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wont kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 18 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wont kill in Whitechapel? - by Darryl Kenyon 36 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wont kill in Whitechapel? - by Darryl Kenyon 46 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - by Varqm 3 hours ago.
General Discussion: Eddowes' Shawl - by Paddy 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wont kill in Whitechapel? - (43 posts)
General Discussion: Ripper was several people... - (12 posts)
General Discussion: Eddowes' Shawl - (7 posts)
General Discussion: Jack The Ripper and Venus - (7 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: So what happened to that femur...? - (5 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Scene of the Crimes

Old 10-04-2011, 12:39 AM
Cadet

Default New member connection to Berner Street

Hi everyone, my name is Kevin and I've just discovered your site and forum. Recently I've been doing some family tree research and found in the 1881 British census that my great great grandparents lived at 33 Berner Street. This address meant nothing to me but I thought I may be able to find the "old family home" on Google maps. Needless to say , I couldn't find the address in current day London. I decided to search Google for "1881 London street map, Berner Street". This search led me to your site. I was shocked to find my ancestors lived on this street around the time of the unsolved murders. I continued to search the 1891 and 1901 census and found that the family had moved to 33 and 35 Batty Street. So the family certainly lived in the area during 1888, possibly lived on the very street, just a few doors down from the scene of the crime. I am happy to have found the photographs of the houses on Berner Street. The family house may be in the photo, if not ,it certainly gives me a very good idea what the houses were like. I am looking forward to learning about the case and what you all think about the victims,suspects and conditions of the time.

Kevin
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:01 AM
Commisioner

Welcome Kevin,

What an extraordinary family link.

Its amazing to think your family were actually in Berner Street at the time of the murders. I assume you have asked other family members if they are aware of the connection?

Monty

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622
Old 10-04-2011, 01:27 AM
Cadet

Actually I haven't. I literally discovered this days ago. One of my great great grandparents sons emigrated to Canada and I am a descendant of him. No one here has any knowledge of any family in London. It took me along time to find these people in Whitechapel because everyone here kept saying our family emigrated from Ireland. Only one aunt mentioned that my great grandfather went to London before coming to Canada. This led me to searching the British census and finding my Irish great great grandfather and English great great grandmother living in Whitechapel.They had 4 sons and 3 daughters. I am going to try and search for any "cousins" and see if they would like to share with me any stories or maybe photos of the area at the time. If I ever find them and they share anything I will keep everyone informed.

Kevin
Old 10-04-2011, 01:41 AM
Superintendent

Welcome to casebook, Kevin.
Please don't feel compelled to answer, but your family name isn't by any chance Mortimer? It might have been that your ancestors were questioned by the police as witnesses in the Stride murder.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:41 AM
Commisioner

Fascinating Kevin,

There will be a fair few people to help you here, and I shall see if I have anything of relevance.

In the meantime, here's a photo archive link of the street.

http://photos.casebook.org/thumbnails.php?album=4

Monty

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622
Old 10-04-2011, 02:02 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariab View Post
Welcome to casebook, Kevin.
Please don't feel compelled to answer, but your family name isn't by any chance Mortimer? It might have been that your ancestors were questioned by the police as witnesses in the Stride murder.
I'm guessing the surname begins Cla..?
Welcome, Kevin.

I am not DJA. He's called Dave.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:10 AM
Cadet

Debra , you're correct. Isn't it a strange coincidence that his name is John. His son John is known to my family as "Jack"!

Kevin
Old 10-04-2011, 04:15 AM
Commisioner

Hi Kevin, that's great. And I believe 33 would be in the 1909 Berner Street photo. At 36 lived witness Fanny Mortimer, and the murder occurred in the passageway between 40 and 42. If you were to step out your front door and just walk across the street, that's about the distance from your ancestor's house to the murder site. Do you know what years your family lived in that neighborhood? Much history outside of the Ripper murders occurred on Berner Street as well, namely at 40 Berner Street, England's 'cradle of liberty'.

You might be aware that another celebrated murder, in which Israel Lipski murdered a girl, occurred at 22 Batty Street.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old 10-04-2011, 04:27 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Welcome indeed, Kevin. I'm assuming that the TO in your name refers to my hometown, the capital of Ontario. I don't have a clue who lived at number 33, but I knew that people like Debra would. It would be nice if someone could post one of those street directory lists.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:38 AM
Cadet

I found another map of Berner Street that shows some of the house numbers on it and using that as an aid I counted out the houses on the map available in this forum and have calculated that #33 is almost directly across from Dutfield's Yard.
Hi Tom, I only know from the 1881 census they were at #33 then in 1891 they were at #33 Batty Street. I am am unaware as to what year they moved.

Kevin

I've been searching for a London phone directory to look up the family surname so I can write as many letters as possible. I haven't been able to find any free directories online.
Attached Images

Last edited by kevinTO : 10-04-2011 at 04:43 AM.