Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Sam Flynn 4 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Trevor Marriott 10 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 25 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Trevor Marriott 33 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 45 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 49 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (26 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (23 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (22 posts)
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (13 posts)
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - (3 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Scene of the Crimes

Old 09-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Chief Inspector

Question McCarthy Family Rising Socially In 1901 vs. Status In 1880's?

Heinrich, Claire and Ruby, thanks for your comments.

Ruby, I enjoyed your very thoughtful and well-reasoned post. Lots of food for thought there!

McCarthy reminds me of a politician playing to his constituents- and very astutely too. The phrase "rabble-rouser" comes to mind.

I too was struck by his attack on certain "clergymen". Canon Samuel Barnett- who founded Toynbee Hall and encouraged many people to work for better conditions for the poor of Whitechapel- seems to have been one of McCarthy's targets, though unnamed. Barnett did write numerous impassioned articles in his attempt to draw attention to the dreadful living conditions in the East End and effect real change for the inhabitants.

It was a bit surprising to me that McCarthy responded so vigorously to the criticisms of Dorset Street and went to the trouble of printing a pamphlet.

I wonder if part of McCarthy's motivation was that by 1901 his family was rising both economically and socially, so being branded the equivalent of a "slum landlord" stung him more in 1901 than it would have done back in the 1880's?

I also wonder if McCarthy attempted to get the Daily Mail or the Toynbee Record to print his lengthy reply, but they refused, so he printed it himself?

Best regards,
Archaic
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
It was a bit surprising to me that McCarthy responded so vigorously to the criticisms of Dorset Street and went to the trouble of printing a pamphlet.
[b]

Maybe, McCarthy gives you the answer himself !

"I may say that A LYING ARTICLE like this does not increase the value of property anywhere around Dorset Street or the neighbourhood".
Old 09-07-2011, 01:53 AM
Chief Inspector

Default Re: Dorset Street Property Values

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubyretro View Post
[b]Maybe, McCarthy gives you the answer himself !
"I may say that A LYING ARTICLE like this does not increase the value of property anywhere around Dorset Street or the neighbourhood".
Hi Ruby. Yes, and the fact that McCarthy was so conscious of property values in 1901 seems to be another indication of his family's "upward mobility".

For decades property owners and landlords like McCarthy and Crossingham made a significant profit from their rental properties in the area of Dorset Street. Buildings were rented very cheaply then divided up into as many units as possible and rented by the night or by the week for cash. Their renters were a bit of a captive audience in that those who lacked the funds necessary to rent higher-qualities lodgings or to relocate to a different area had little choice but to pay whatever price was asked or live on the streets. We know that there were always more prospective lodgers and renters waiting to replace them if they couldn't pay and were evicted.

We've all read stories of the dreadful conditions of the rooms in the vicinity of Dorset Street. One way for a landlord to raise property values would of course be to make practical improvements which would help relieve some of those dreadful conditions, but that would involve a monetary expenditure; an investment in fact. I suspect that the landlords justified their lack of improvements with the convenient argument that the improved lodgings would soon be trashed by their renters anyway, so why bother?

- Which attitude, if true, would only go to reinforce McKenzie's criticisms regarding the nature of Dorset Street and its inhabitants!

Maybe in 1901 the local property owners were already thinking ahead to a time when the area around Dorset Street would be razed and redeveloped? Miller's Court and other nearby properties were sold off and demolished the 1920's. It would be interesting to know what kind of profits the local property owners made at that time.

- And what in the world happened to the poor people who had lived in the demolished lodgings?

Best regards,
Archaic
Old 09-08-2011, 01:12 AM
Chief Inspector

Default Rippercast: 'The Worst Street In London'

Here's the Rippercast on the history of Dorset Street. Most of you will have already listened to this episode more than once, but I thought I'd post it for the sake of those who haven't.

It's a really interesting podcast featuring Fiona Rule, author of the book 'The Worst Street In London', Coral Kelly, Robert McLaughlin, and Jonathan Menges.

I've listened to it several times and enjoyed it very much.

RIPPERCAST- 'The Worst Street In London':http://www.casebook.org/podcast/listen.html?id=72

Best regards,
Archaic
Old 09-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Chief Inspector

Default Dorset street etc

Very interesting Archaic. Thank you!

C4