X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cardiff Job

City centre location, TBC

PROVISIONAL ITINERARY – TO BE UPDATED

Meet at 10am for breakfast (not included), or alternatively at 11am (locations TBC) for...

WALK AROUND CARDIFF

guided by Trevor Bond and Jon Rees, looking at the Victorian city and the links with events in the 1888 ‘East End’.

Lunch available at venue if required (not included)

Informal Afternoon Presentations – MORE TO BE CONFIRMED - to include:

BOB HINTON(author of South Wales Murders)

on the curious 1919 disappearance of Mamie Stuart, in Swansea, and the new twist he himself has uncovered.

DAVE JAMES

on Albert Cadosche and the various ‘Vigilance Committees’ which attempted to protect the streets of London during the ‘Autumn of Terror’.

To Be Confirmed– THE FRANCES COLES MEMORIAL LECTURE

courtesy of Cardiff University

Evening Buffet (INCLUDED)

A special video presentation by ANDREW FIRTH (author of Past Traces)

Evening entertainment:

LIVE DEBATE

on various issues surrounding the 123 year-old hunt for ‘Jack the Ripper’; to be recorded for the inaugural allthatyouvedone podcast.

EXTRA SPECIAL TOP SECRET EVENING EVENT!!!

KARAOKE!

Breakfast meet Sunday morning (location TBC, not included) for those staying the night.

PLEASE EMAIL tara1@london.com (Trevor Bond/ Ali Bevan) to be added to the ‘mailing list’ for all future announcements; also with ANY questions, requests etc. – or if you have something you would like to present – the more the merrier!

COST (to cover venue hire and evening catering) will be kept to a minimum – details TBC once venue is confirmed, but we are aiming for £10 or less.

WE LOOK FORWARD to seeing you there – Trevor Bond, Ali Bevan & Jon Rees.

Comment

Well top marks for perfect composition Dark Ali!

Comment

It was nothing Bob! (No, actually, really nothing........ Trevor's work!)
        Hopefully the venue will be confirmed this week, so then we can work out the nearest hotels. I do know that the two venues that have been approached are really central, it that helps
        http://www.taraforum.com/

Comment

If I can get a cheap bed - I'll be there!
          I'll have to come on the Friday as if I leave Banbury on Saturday morning I'll probably not get there till Sunday (out trains are c**p)
          Will there be someone around on the Friday night?
          Can I have any 'bedding' details
          Love ya all
          Liza

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Ali View Post
            Andrew Firth did a sterling job didn't he Bob? I can take at least a minute part of the credit though as I took the picture of the bridge through our car windscreen
            *tries not to mention that she works for the DVLA*

Seriously it's an excellent graphic. Well done Andrew and Ali.

Still hoping to come so if someone can put me on the list to receive the details of hotels etc.

Jen x
            babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

I was the passenger
              Jen, if you email tara1@london.com we can add you to the mailing list
              Ali

Comment

Hey, Big John
                Have you got a spare room/bit of floor?
                X

Comment

thanks Ali

will do

Jen x
                  babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

I am pleased to announce the venue for The Cardiff Job is.......... (drum roll)
                    33 Windsor Place
                    Cardiff, CF10 3BZ

Comment

Well Big Jon doen't seem to want me! So Mr. Hinton???? or Trevor? or any decendant of MJK still living in the Cardiff area?
                      I've just checked the price of my train ticket so I seriously need a CHEAP bed - but I'd love to be there!
                      P.S. I don't snore!

Comment

My dear Liza,

It is not the snoring we are worried about!

Comment

The Cardiff Job

VENUE:
                          The Windsor Room, 33 Windsor Place, Windsor Place, Cardiff, CF10 3BZ
                          www.33windsorplace.com/

‘A unique city centre bar, offering a wide range of food, premium drinks and coffees. This premium bar attracts a wide range of clientele and is ideal for quick lunches, relaxing after work and private functions’

PRICE:
                          £10 a head, to include evening meal (details to follow)

LOCATION AND TRAVEL DETAILS:
                          Windsor Place is located approximately 0.7 miles North-East of Cardiff City Centre, close to the National Museum of Wales, Cardiff University and the Capitol and St. David’s shopping centres. The nearest rail station is Cardiff Queen Street Station; Cathays Station and Cardiff’s major terminus, Cardiff Central Station, are both a similarly short distance (approx 0.8 miles) from Windsor Place. Cathays and Queen Street offer trains travelling elsewhere in South Wales, Cardiff Central serves a wide variety of destinations including Cheltenham Spa, Manchester Piccadilly, Holyhead, Nottingham, Taunton and Portsmouth Harbour. Cardiff Bus Station is also located adjacent to Cardiff Central Station. Cardiff Bus Station offers connections with almost all bus routes within Wales, as well as National Express services to and from destinations such as Hereford, Bradford, Scarborough, Gatwick, Heathrow and London Victoria. The ‘Megabus’ services to London and Swansea do NOT stop at Cardiff Central Bus Station, but do stop close to Cathays Station, on the University campus.

For drivers, the best way to approach Cardiff from almost any direction is via the M4 motorway, and the closest exit is Junction 32 (Coryton); from there head south (towards Cardiff) on the A470 and then finally onto the A4161. Nearby council operated car parks are located in Castle Mews and North Road. There are also ‘NCP’ car parks nearby in Greyfriars Road and Dumfries Place.

Cardiff City Centre offers a number of attractions including Cardiff Castle, an eleventh century Grade I listed castle renovate in 1868 in full Victorian Gothic revival style, for military historians the Museum of the Welsh Soldier (located within the castle itself), the Millenium Stadium and Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff International Arena, and an excellent variety of shopping. The recently regenerated Victorian docks of Cardiff Bay are located just over a mile and a half to the south of Windsor Place. This really is a fantastic location, and we are extremely pleased to have secured it.

SUGGESTED HOTELS (approx. distance from venue):

Thistle Parc Hotel Cardiff, Lon y Parc (0.2 miles)

Ibis Cardiff Centre, Churchill Way (0.2 miles)
                          Book a hotel online with ibis. Find out about our promotions and book online at more than 2000 ibis Styles or ibis budget hotels.

Park Plaza Cardiff, Greyfriars Road (0.3 miles)
                          The award winning four star deluxe Park Plaza Hotel in Cardiff is located in the heart of Cardiff city centre, within easy walking distance of Cardiff Castle, the Millennium Stadium, Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama and Cardiff City Hall.

Hilton Cardiff, Kingsway (0.4 miles)

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, Castle Street (0.5 miles)

The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff, Bute Terrace (0.5 miles)

Barcelo Cardiff Angel Hotel, Castle Street (0.5 miles)

Travelodge Cardiff Central, St Mary Street (0.6 miles)

The Sandringham Hotel, St Mary Street (0.6 miles)
                          Hotels in Cardiff, The Sandringham Hotel is situated in Cardiff City Centre near the Millennium Stadium and the Motorpoint Arena.

The Royal Hotel Cardiff, St Mary Street (0.6 miles)

Sleeperz Hotel Cardiff, Saunders Road (0.7 miles)
                          Welcome to Sleeperz Hotels Cardiff, Newcastle, and Dundee, enjoy a blend of warm hospitality and excellent value. Book with us online for the best rates guaranteed.

Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, Newport Road (0.8 miles)
                          Discover our 3 and 4-star Mercure hotels and get the best hotel rate for your trips, weekend breaks or events.

USEFUL LINKS:

megabus offers safe, convenient, affordable bus service. Online bus ticket booking available.

Trainline, your quick & easy way to book train tickets across Europe. ✓ Save 61% on UK Rail ✓ Live Train Times ✓ Save with a Railcard ✓ Get the app

Book coach travel to 100's of UK towns, cities and airports with National Express coaches.

http://www.cardiff.gov.uk/content.as...%2C4194%2C4255 (List of Cardiff Council operated car parks)
                          http://www.ncp.co.uk/cardiff.html?city=Cardiff (List of NCP operated car parks)

any queries, etc: tara1@london.com
                          coming soon: http://the-cardiff-job.webs.com/

Comment

I've just booked into the Ibis, so I'm afraid I can't help you Liza.

Comment

Urgent Update

Sorry guys, the mail.com email address has crashed and neither Trevor or myself can get in to it to sort out the mailing list. We are now contactable on thecardiffjob@aol.co.uk could you please re-register there for the mailing list, I am so sorry that this has happened and that it has made extra work for those interested

Comment

Also, all information so far published is starting to appear on our website http://the-cardiff-job.webs.com

Comment

Working...
                                X