Pompadour Cosmetics, 17 Upper Baker Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Savage View Post
    I beleive that trade directories would be complied in the later part of any year in order that they could be printed and published early in the year following.

Rgds
    John
    I agree with John on this matter, Robert D'Onston Stephenson appeared in the trade directories in Hull a year after he was fired from the Hull Customs, and his father, Richard Stephenson Snr, was listed as residing on Arlington-street, Hull, a year after his death!
    Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
      Hi Debs, How

The directories as far as I know were published at the beginning of the year (Druitt is listed in the 1889 to give you some idea). I checked the directories at the LMA from 89 to 94 and there was no 'Popmadour Cosmetiques Company' listed, but we know it was there at some point because of the advert Debs found. My impression from what was written in the O'Donnell manuscript is that the company didn't occupy a shop but offices above the shop. I don't think it was compulsory to appear in a trade directory but we do know the Pompadour Company was there between August 1890 and September 1891 so maybe not.

Rob
      Thanks Rob, yeah that's how I sort of imagined the set up to be; send payment to the address on the advert or ring the upstairs doorbell for supplies of your favourite 'Pompadour stain' and not a shop front as such. They only seemed to have three products for sale after all, and one of those was dropped from the adverts later in 1891.

Comment

Searching for "17 Upper Baker Street" in the online directories (a hit and miss affair) threw up another name : Arthur Bluck, tailor (1891).

Comment

Bluck seems to have ceased trading and was going through bankruptcy procedures.

Comment

Lets not forget it was common practice for more than one business to operate from 1 location, and we don't know how big the property was.

I did some research on the buildings of the Hull News, the same company that recieved the Hull Ripper letter, and discovered that although the company owned the building, they only used the ground floor.

Seven other companies were crammed into the three floored building!

Another building, Orial Chambers, had different companies in every room of the building, and a young family were registered as residing in the loft space!
            Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
              Thanks Rob, yeah that's how I sort of imagined the set up to be; send payment to the address on the advert or ring the upstairs doorbell for supplies of your favourite 'Pompadour stain' and not a shop front as such. They only seemed to have three products for sale after all, and one of those was dropped from the adverts later in 1891.
              Hi Debs,

Yeah all they would have needed was a single room, I think Donston was alleged to have had a backroom there as well if I remember correctly.

Rob

Comment

Yes he did Rob.

Cremers lived on the third floor.

Luca lived on the 2nd floor above Suzanne Vega.

Comment

Thanks Howard, I was going by memory there.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                    An acquaintance perhaps, Tom. I can't recall or find his name at the moment though. It definitely wasn't Stephenson himself, his whereabouts in the 1891 census has been well documented by various researchers.
                    Hi. As I have difficulties to trace D'Onston in the 1891 and 1901 census I would appreciate more infos. Thanks by advance

Comment

Working...
                    X