Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE JACK THE RIPPER LOCATION PHOTOGRAPHS : Dutfield's Yard and the Whitby Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by retroGAMER View Post
    Hi Philip,

I received my copy today, and from what I've read so far you've done an excellent job. I'm just loving the colour photos.

Although there was probably no way round it, the Dutfield's Yard photo is spread over two pages so a slight part of it I can't see properly. Maybe I'll have to buy another copy to rip the pages out an stick 'em together.

Cheers,

Will
    Will, it was spread over two pages deliberately to make scanning of it difficult. There should be nothing missing from the picture - I told Amberley to ensure nothing got lost in the spine of the book (but that probably means they've done just that). Everything is visible in my copy.

Amberley, by the way, have still not answered me. Three e-mails, each to three people. It makes me feel literally sick every time I think of it. ANYONE could print in B&W and I would have self-published, as I intended to at the beginning, if I'd known what this company were going to do.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Oh, and Michael - 9' 2"!

PHILIP
      Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Philip. Makes sense to prevent scanning, at least they ensured the spine wasn't down the centre of the picture.

Anyway, it's a great book and good luck in getting the colour sorted.

Cheers,

Will
        Take the chance, while you've still got the choice.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
          Oh, and Michael - 9' 2"!

PHILIP
          Thanks for that Philip......so each gate could not have reasonably exceeded 4 or 4ft and change in width...allowing for the frame and hinges. The left gate as it appears from the street was the one with the "window" in it as I recall.

Interesting.

Thanks again mate.

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
            The left gate as it appears from the street was the one with the "window" in it as I recall.
            I don't know if anything hinges on it (har!) but Sugden (the only source I have access to at the moment) says, at p. 165: "The most northerly of the big yard gates had a wicket for use when the main gates were closed."

So that would be the gate on the right as it appears from the street.

Comment

Congrats, Philip. I just saw this thread and ordered my copy. Strange about the color thing, but I'm glad you're otherwise happy with the production. I can't wait to receive my copy.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I'm very sorry you're having such a hassle with the publisher, Philip. I confess I never realized it was so difficult for an author to get their book published in the way which they had intended, expected, and stipulated.

The lack of color in what could be termed a 'photographic history' book seems so egregious an error on Amberley's part that I hope they will correct it to your satisfaction, or at least compensate you so you can afford to take it elsewhere.

Maybe you should write a new book titled "The Pitfalls Of Publishing: A Guide To The 1,001 Ways In Which Publishers Can Screw Things Up."

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

Just ordered a copy. It will be a nice pictorial companion piece to 'The Man Who Hunted The Ripper' which I'm reading now.

Comment

Just finished it!!!! It's the Cat's Ass!!!- BEST compliment ever!!!! xx
                    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Scotland Yard,

I love the Edmund Reid book. Nick Connell and Stewart Evans did a great job on that. It's full of neat little nuggets about the Ripper case. Reid had the memory of a flea, but was certainly an interesting man. I think I should read that book again soon. I remember when that first came out. It's one of those rare occassions when a book is eagerly anticipated for a long time and doesn't disappoint when it comes out. If only Richard Whittington-Egan would finally put his book out.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. My copy of Philip's book is taking it's sweet time getting to me. Should be any day now.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                        Scotland Yard,

I love the Edmund Reid book. Nick Connell and Stewart Evans did a great job on that. It's full of neat little nuggets about the Ripper case. Reid had the memory of a flea, but was certainly an interesting man. I think I should read that book again soon. I remember when that first came out. It's one of those rare occassions when a book is eagerly anticipated for a long time and doesn't disappoint when it comes out. If only Richard Whittington-Egan would finally put his book out.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. My copy of Philip's book is taking it's sweet time getting to me. Should be any day now.
                        Hope it gets to you by Christmas Tom x
                        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Hi Philip

This is a super, very well written book that I enjoyed reading even though I already knew practically the entire contents from your illustrated talks at the Conference and WS Meeting. Well done.

Stephen
                          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                            Scotland Yard,

Reid had the memory of a flea, but was certainly an interesting man. I think I should read that book again soon.
                            Yes, I like the fact that he wasn't beyond embellishing some of the
                            facts when he came to recalling his career. The tussle he describes whilst arresting the would-be wife-poisoner sounds very dramatic!

Comment

Just finished Philip's book and I thought it was absolutely fascinating.

The Duttfield's yard photograph is a magnificent contribution to the current info available on the case as well as being a little gem of a time capsule in its own right. Well researched and well written.

Recommended.

Comment

This might have been mentioned somewhere in the past, but...

For a little feel of what a Thomas Cook tour was like (and it appears that you could join in, then go off on your own, then rejoin later) is Margaret Addison's Diary of a European Tour, 1900. Pieces of it are in Google books, including her trip to London where she visits the East End and the People's Palace. She also brings her camera.

Tiny, custom domain, branded, url shortener, edit URL redirect, tinylink

Not that Margaret Addison is Philip's photographer, but I imagine it being someone very much like her. These trips were very popular for women in the temperance movement. One such prominent temperance leader from Buffalo NY was journalist, playwright and patron of the arts named Marion De Forest, by the way, who has a curiously upturned nose.

Maybe a thread should be set up to discuss the mysterious photographer. I find it a very interesting puzzle.

Great job, Phil!

JM

Comment

Working...
                                X