Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science Channel - Jack the Ripper: New Evidence

Greetings all,

I've been a reader of Casebook: Jack the Ripper for some time, but I've never posted before now.

Last night on the Science Channel I watched an hour long documentary on Jack. The guide listings showed the title as Jack The Ripper: New Evidence, but the show's title was Jack The Ripper: Killer Revealed. The guide listings dated the show as 2009.

In any event, the show centered on a historian named Mei Trow who put forth his theory that the mortuary attendant Robert Mann was Jack. I watched the whole show and it seemed that there was no evidence to support this. It seemed to me that the only reason that Trow fingered Mann as Jack was that he fit an FBI profile done regarding Jack. I thought this was pretty sketchy.

Aside from the sketchiness of naming someone without any evidence whatsoever, the documentary did do a nice job of showing what the sites look like in today's London.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this show and what they thought of it.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Bond. Greg Bond

Welcome to the forum 007. Yes, many have seen it and most, I would say, came to the same conclusion as you.
    Best Wishes,
    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

The book sucks, but I'd love to see this doc, only I don't have cable/sat. Is it available on dvd yet?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom,

There are parts of it on discovery.com I believe.
        Best Wishes,
        Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
          The book sucks, but I'd love to see this doc, only I don't have cable/sat. Is it available on dvd yet?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
          Hi Tom,

After reading Hunters note, I just looked on the Discovery.com website and here's the link to the page about the show. They do have some outtakes from the show. I didn't see anything about them selling it for personal use, though.

http://www.yourdiscovery.com/web/jack-the-ripper/

Thanks guys,
          ~Greg
          Bond. Greg Bond

Comment

Hi...I love collecting all the Ripper documentaries and have just about all....apart from this one!..I don't have 'sky' so have only seen the trailer on y'tube.I believe this one has been screened twice now as 'Killer Revealed'...(I think this is the one that 'Hutch' appeared in)....DOES ANYONE HAVE A COPY TO TRADE/SELL?...would be indebted!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X