Can we profile the Ripper from the GSG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DJA View Post
    Like your posts on this thread,very little.
    Enough of the ad hominem, please.
    The question is "Can we profile the Ripper from the GSG?"
    If the Ripper didn't write the GSG, then we clearly can't profile him based upon it. I'm trying to put the case that he may not have written the graffito, ergo it's useless for profiling purposes.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hello Herlock,

Here is the problem - did Diemschutz drive his cart in some Jewish way? The same goes for Schwartz and Lawende. How did their being Jewish factor in to what they did? If they were all known vegetarians would that be reflected in the GSG? It is possible that the killer was a raging anti-Semite and these actions only added to it. I could see it if a bunch of men ran out of a synagogue and yelled "hey, it's the Ripper" and started chasing him but trying to put a Jewish spin on the events of that evening seem like a stretch to me. And finally there is the message itself. Even if we can be certain that it is anti-Jewish, it seems to reflect somebody who is a bit put off by the Jews not somebody with intense rage against them.

c.d.

Comment

Hello Sam,

Even if we could be certain that the Ripper wrote the GSG we still couldn't profile him from it. What could be ascertained?

c.d.

Comment

If GSG was used as a red herring to divert police in the wrong direction,it certainly did the job.
          Why risk it again?
          Reckon he left a definite message at Millers Court.
          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            The fact that he didn't follow it up at the next crime scene, as you point out, nor that he foreshadowed it at Hanbury Street for that matter, is another reason to doubt that he was the author of the GSG.
            Do you think the previous (unfounded) reports of graffito - such as the "x more and I give myself up" at Hanbury St - influenced PC Long's linking of the GSG with the apron piece?
            Last edited by Joshua Rogan; 08-12-2017, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
              Here is the problem - did Diemschutz drive his cart in some Jewish way? The same goes for Schwartz and Lawende. How did their being Jewish factor in to what they did?
              Regarding Lawende and company, they were small businessmen returning from their club, and probably weren't of a conspicuously "Jewish" appearance anyway.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

If GSG was used as a red herring to divert police in the wrong direction,it certainly did the job.
                The bloody apron alone would have sufficed as a (geographical) decoy. If he meant to divert police attention to the Jews, then why write an ostensibly anti-semitic graffito?
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Enough of the ad hominem, please.If the Ripper didn't write the GSG, then we clearly can't profile him based upon it. I'm trying to put the case that he may not have written the graffito, ergo it's useless for profiling purposes.
                  Why do you not simply state your case?

Comment

The bloody apron alone would have sufficed as a (geographical) decoy. If he meant to divert police attention to the Jews, then why write an ostensibly anti-semitic graffito?
                    GSG links to the Stride murder.
                    Nothing anti-semetic to it,for mine.
                    Also links to "nothing"..... Eddowes.

Pretty much saying "Come and get me".
                    Well,ostensibly.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                      Do you think the previous (unfounded) reports of graffito - such as the "x more and I give myself up" at Hanbury St - influenced PC Long's linking of the GSG with the apron piece?
                      Possibly, although the mere fact that both items were found in the same doorway within an hour or so after a murder would have been enough to suggest an association, whether they were genuinely linked or not.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Why do you not simply state your case?
                        Because simply stating a case is not good enough. It needs backing up with rationale and, where it exists, any relevant evidence.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

GSG links to the Stride murder.
                          Nothing anti-semetic to it,for mine.
                          Also links to "nothing"..... Eddowes.

Pretty much saying "Come and get me".
                          Well,ostensibly.
                          are you saying he meant to write: the juwes are not the men to blame for kate?
                          there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                            Even if we could be certain that the Ripper wrote the GSG we still couldn't profile him from it. What could be ascertained?
                            That he was anti-semitic? That's about as much as the message conveys, and wouldn't get us very far in profiling terms, especially given the prevalence of anti-Jewish/anti-immigrant feelings at the time.

I think it speaks volumes that the only other explanation that gained any traction was the bogus Masonic interpretation offered by Knight's JTR: The Final Solution. Just goes to show how much convoluted reasoning is required to make the GSG into anything other than anti-semitic.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

GSG links ... to "nothing"..... Eddowes.
                              For the killer to have known that Eddowes had given her name as "Nothing" when locked up for drunkenness, he'd have had to have known about what passed between her and Sgt Byfield at Bishopsgate police station earlier that night. How could he have found this out?
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Hello Sam.

We can't conclude that he was anti-semetic because the GSG could be interpreted as being pro-Jewish. Even if we knew with absolute certainty that it is anti-semetic it does not automatically follow that the author was a Gentile. It could be a red herring.

c.d.

Comment

Working...
                                X