Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Torso Killings: torso maps - by RockySullivan 15 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by harry 19 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 39 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Sam Flynn 4 hours ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by jerryd 5 hours ago.
Witnesses: The mysterious Mrs Kennedy... - by rjpalmer 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (30 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (13 posts)
Witnesses: The mysterious Mrs Kennedy... - (3 posts)
Visual Media: A new BBC One documentary about one of the most infamous serial killers of all time. - (2 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > General Letters or Communications

Old 02-16-2011, 05:59 AM
Commisioner

Hello JTRS,

I noticed the observation you gave about the chances of etc etc.
It has to be said here that if the September 24th letter is a hoax, the most obvious pointer to me would be that the hoaxer would indeed use the name "Ripper".

A.N.Other writing a single letter to the police, in a totally disimilar style to the Dear Boss letter, just pre-dating the aforementioned one, sounds far more convincing as a one off letter being a genuine article than one that also has the name "Ripper" in it. Usage of the name "Ripper" but in a disimilar handwriting style counters its own potential authenticity, I surmise.

Therefore it is unlikely to have come from the writer of the Dear Boss letter, and the chances of two people using the same signature (Ripper) are small, when the name itself is previously unheard of, imho.

The signature itself, "ha" indicates a joke being played, i.e.someone is having a laugh (hopefully at everyone else's expense) or poking fun at the authorities and or Ripperology.

There have been quite a few little jokes played in this genre. Even "whopping fibs" and outright invention. These days, people are not so easily fooled, and it would take something of substance to be totally brilliant to get through the eye of the inspection needle without being stopped in its tracks.

Then again, some are more "Gullible" than others. "Princely" little ideas are now (hopefully) a thing of the past, but I wouldn't mind betting that in the next ten years or so, more attemps to pull wool over people's eyes will occur. Some people think its a great way to get their 15 minutes of fame. There are jokers around in this field, with a misguided sense of the mischevious. Others, with more sinister motives, are no doubt already planning and scheming. It happened around the 100th anniversary and shortly afterwards. There is no doubt in this man's mind that history will repeat itself within the next few years.

best wishes

Phil

Justice for the 96 = achieved
Accountability? ....

Last edited by Phil Carter : 02-16-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:18 AM
Cadet

No offense to anyone intended, BUT, is there a visible copy of the letter in the writers hand? The words themselves do nothing to prove or disprove if it was written by the hand of someone who also penned one of the other letters, that did make notoriety. If anyone has a link to this letter for me to see it with my own two eyes, and in the comfort of dissecting equipment it would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Sergeant

Hello all ,

Wasn't the High Rip gang accused of murdering Polly by the newspapers a few days after her killing , they also referred to her as being Ripped open ..
So if anything i think the author's the DBL and sep24th letter both drew their water from the same well ..

cheers

moonbegger .
Old 11-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Hi all,

There really isnt any mystery as to how someone came up with a name like Jack the Ripper for these cases, and why we would see that or variants of it on some of the thousands of letters sent to the press and the police during that period.

Many fictional characters, some created by the mythologies surrounding horrific crimes, or in nursery rhymes, or urban legends, were named "Jack", and the Ripper adjective is self explanatory when assessing the murders that occurred before the arrival of the 1st letter with either Ripper or Jack on them.

The fact that more than one letter has either Ripper, or Saucy Jack or Jack the Ripper on it is really to be expected when one considers the usage of the given name Jack in historical application, and the common knowledge of nursery rhymes.

Anyone seeking to categorize the acts committed on Polly and Annie could easily come up with the adjective "ripped".

An unsigned letter.....one with specific unpublished information...now thats a different tale. But these Ripper letters are just noise from an angry and volatile public.

Cheers
Old 02-14-2015, 02:51 PM
Cadet

Found the letter. Page 19.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...ktheripper.pdf

Looking at the name of his workplace, there appears to be a sort of ^ at the top of the first letter where it has not been fully marked out, indicating that the first letter of workplace is a 'tall' letter, possibly an A, L, or lowercase t perhaps?

Last edited by TizerisT : 02-14-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:03 PM
Chief Inspector

I don't believe for a minute any of these letters are from Jack but the blacked out name of the slaughterer's workplace is very short and could be Barbers (in Bucks Row.)

Sixteen String Jack (a highwayman) was a favourite character in the Penny Dreadful magazines of the mid 19th century read by young boys. So was Spring heel Jack, who went around terrifying people.

Little Jack Shepherd was a popular musical at the Gaiety theatre in the 1880's, taken from the name of a famous 18th century highwayman, so Jack would be a name that would readily come to the mind of a letter writer.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:07 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TizerisT View Post

Looking at the name of his workplace, there appears to be a sort of ^ at the top of the first letter where it has not been fully marked out, indicating that the first letter of workplace is a 'tall' letter, possibly an A, L, or lowercase t perhaps?
Or nothing was written there at all, or it was just gibberish.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:17 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TizerisT View Post

I noticed that there is a liitle^ at the beginning of the first blacked-out word, as you said. I also noticed at the beginning of the second blacked out area, it is possible to see a bit of a slanted line going up into the blackened area-- maybe the beginning of an "A"?

The content of the letter is strange enough, complete with little scary drawings, but the handwriting seems to alter a bit from the beginning to the end. Two writers, taking turns? Or the same writer getting into a "state" of emotion while doing the letter?
---------------
Old 02-14-2015, 06:25 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
I noticed that there is a liitle^ at the beginning of the first blacked-out word, as you said. I also noticed at the beginning of the second blacked out area, it is possible to see a bit of a slanted line going up into the blackened area-- maybe the beginning of an "A"?

The content of the letter is strange enough, complete with little scary drawings, but the handwriting seems to alter a bit from the beginning to the end. Two writers, taking turns? Or the same writer getting into a "state" of emotion while doing the letter?

Or forgetting to disguise their handwriting from time to time.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:14 AM
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosella View Post
the blacked out name of the slaughterer's workplace is very short and could be Barbers (in Bucks Row.)
Urgh. I didn't realise barbers were also killing horses back then. Were barbers still doing dental work at this time? The thought of someone slaughtering a horse and then working on a persons teeth is almost as frightening as walking past JtR himself in a dark alley.

According to the book A Dictionary of Victorian London: An A-Z of the Great Metropolis By Lee Jackson (page 43) there were 'almost 20' of these in London. 3 or 4 were in Whitechapel, with 2 in or close to Bermondsey, SW London. The letter was sent from SE london.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...london&f=false

I found a Horse slaughterers in Bermondsey existing in 1866/67 here:
http://www.lostindustry.org.uk/EdPac...eybusiness.htm

In terms of the horse slaughterer trade, little known suspect James Hardiman has supposed links outlined here:
http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media...morley/79.html

Last edited by TizerisT : 02-15-2015 at 06:18 AM.