Room 13 Miller's Court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not So Unlikely

What Gareth has said may not be so unlikely as some may think.

Any requests for further close-ups?
    SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

There is definately a darker shadow on the lower pane which would obviously signify that is the window that was reached through to open the door.

The shock upon opening that door must have been unbelievable - poor bugger.

Comment

Both Windows

A shot showing both windows and the door -

Click image for larger version

Name:	13millersctbothwindows.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	653527
        SPE

Comment

Doubts

Surely there must be doubts as to whether this was taken in 1888 or not?
          SPE

Comment

It does seem coincidental that the photo captures the windows (both with broken panes) and the door etc.

It looks like a professional photo for the time so i cant see any real reason why they would take a photo of 13 Millers Court for anything but by the police.

The broken window panes just nearly convince me - but who knows ??

Comment

Thanks for these, Stewart

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
              Here's a close-up of the second window -

[ATTACH]1450[/ATTACH]
              ...I'd never noticed that curtain, seemingly made of a thick, whitish material, behind the glass on the left-hand side, before. Compare and contrast the window nearest the door, which (as we might expect from the story) seems to have no such curtain.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Question

Reasons to at least question the accepted wisdom on this photograph include the the fact that it was located in the possession of the City Police and not the Metropolitan Police (where it should have been) and there were later serious crimes at the same location.
                SPE

Comment

Stewart,

I think I follow what you are saying, however, what i think i would like to know is exactly where the photgraph was in fact found.

Would the City Police have needed a picture of it if (as you seem to suggest) it was taken at the time of one of the later murders

or am i just not following.
                  “be just and fear not”

Comment

Hi Stewart,

An excellent point and one well worth considering. Mea culpa.

One other observation about the photo. Judging from the deformation of the brick corner pillar [it's not camera distortion] I'll bet the door to Room 13 didn't close too snugly.

Regards,

Simon
                    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Confusing

Originally posted by jdpegg View Post
                      Stewart,
                      I think I follow what you are saying, however, what i think i would like to know is exactly where the photgraph was in fact found.
                      Would the City Police have needed a picture of it if (as you seem to suggest) it was taken at the time of one of the later murders
                      or am i just not following.
                      Jenni, no, the City Police, theoretically, would have no need to possess such a photograph at all, although we must bear in mind that they did have the photograph of Kelly's body on the bed which is obviously what made Don believe that they are connected and that the City may have provided the photographer. This makes Don's argument valid and reasonable but the outside view of the room was a glass plate negative and not a photograph. That said, a glass plate negative he found with the Room 13 shot was of Metropolitan policemen of about 1870. Confusing, isn't it? Personally I tend to the belief that it does show Room 13 Miller's Court at about the time of the murder.
                      SPE

Comment

It looks as if the bottom window pushes up from the inside. If the panes are broken, why would there be a need to latch the window. Perhaps the killer simply lifted it up and came out, pulling it closed behind him. He could have entered the same way. Perhaps I am looking at an optical illusion, however, and there is no such division into upper and lower windows.

Unfortunately, I have no Ripper books with me in ROK and must go on memory and what I find on Casebook, but I don't recall anything about a latched window. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that (I'm sure you will).

Mike
                        huh?

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                          It looks as if the bottom window pushes up from the inside.
                          Perhaps it had long-since seized up, or was nailed/screwed down, Mike.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hey Stewart,

no it's not confusing as you summed it up quite adequately there, and indeed were getting at what i thought you were getting at!

Jenni
                            “be just and fear not”

Comment

Wasn't one of the photos taken through a window? If that's right do we know which one by the angle of the bed etc.?
                              Roll up the lino, Mother. We're raising Behemoth tonight!

Comment

What I dont see is any broken glass beneath the window. If indeed the photo was taken shorltly after MJKs death. And if indeed the window was broken a few weeks before that. And if indeed there is no broken glass outside the window. Then either the broken glass was cleaned meticulously or the window was broken from the outside in.
                                I have a sneaking suspicion that the night of the fight something happened to the key. Mary may have gotten p*ssed and threw the key at Barnett as she walked away. Barnett after not finding the key probably punched the window in to open the door.

Comment

Working...
                                X