Haunting Rippercast Theme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
    While there might be sum truth in this, he is also the greatest song writer since Wolfgang Amedeus Motzart....
    ... you missed out Schubert, Schumann and Mahler. Also Cole Porter, Sondheim, Paul Simon, Bob Dylan and Viv Stanshall (in their different ways). Morrissey is a fine musician, though - I've no doubt about that.

However, all these pale into insignificance before the majesty that is...

my name is gerry (jerry) phillips and i have been playing songs on my hands for 38 years! you asked for it! you got it. i never thought i could pull this son...

... the "Flight of the Bumblebee", played on farting hands.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Sam, it's Smokin'

Caught that interlude of the 007 Theme

Roy
      Sink the Bismark

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
        ... you missed out Schubert, Schumann and Mahler. Also Cole Porter, Sondheim, Paul Simon, Bob Dylan and Viv Stanshall (in their different ways). Morrissey is a fine musician, though - I've no doubt about that.

However, all these pale into insignificance before the majesty that is...

my name is gerry (jerry) phillips and i have been playing songs on my hands for 38 years! you asked for it! you got it. i never thought i could pull this son...

... the "Flight of the Bumblebee", played on farting hands.
        What a wonderful moment, My list would be different (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0h6H_vcSKc, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXXHY...eature=related, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhcR1ZS2hVo,) but I agree (apart from the sex pistols) with the sentiment

Pirate

Missed one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI9ak...eature=related https://,http://www.youtube.com/watc...eature=related , this is a better mix of Bald mountain
        Last edited by Jeff Leahy; 03-04-2009, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Hi Sam and Pirate,

Hand farts?

I'm now seriously considering Frank Chacksfield for JM's theme.

This tune used to scare the sh*t out of me when I was around seven or eight years old.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Regards,

Simon
          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Comment

Here's my favorite Jack The Ripper song...really not about Jack, but I love Nick Cave...

but Morrissey is pretty good too...
              Last edited by redelevator; 05-09-2009, 07:01 PM.

Comment

The Smiths "Suffer Little Children" is amazing...

a song about the Moors Murders that was even approved of by the victims' parents (who were rightfully suspicious at first I believe)...one of the most haunting songs you will ever hear

Comment

The song is 'Suffer The Children', B-side to 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now' and last track on the eponymous debut album from 1984.

I remember hearing a news item on the radio about this at the time. I can't recall which parents are concerned, but the song polarised opinion. One parent was saying it was sick, and another that they thought it a tribute. There's no doubt it's the latter and clearly anti Brady/Hindley, but because it's subtle and poetic, some might mis-interpret the intentions.

Unlike 'Very Friendly' by Throbbing Gristle which certainly does earn disapproval.

PHILIP
                  Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Surely Philip meant to say that indeed the song is 'Suffer Little Children' (and it is thought, but never confirmed by Morrissey, that the band's name The Smiths comes from Hindley's sister Maureen Smith and her husband David, whose testimony led to the capture of the Moors Murderers).

The grandfather of victim John Kilbride began a protest in the Manchester press after hearing the song, but the controversy was settled when Morrissey met with the mother of Lesley Ann Downey, explained to her the songs intent, and she came out in support of it.

JM

Comment

Thanks for the bit about the band's name

I never knew that!

Comment

Hey, I know this is an old forum, but I just wanted to say one thing.

Whiel I do enjoy Morrissey's JTR song and do think it fits the Podcast, if there was one other song to substitute for that one for the opening introduction, only 1 other song comes to mind:

"The Ripper"-Judas Priest.

That's all.
                        I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

the final word...

One of the surest tests [of the superiority or inferiority of a poet] is the way in which a poet borrows. Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different. The good poet welds his theft into a whole of feeling which is unique, utterly different than that from which it is torn; the bad poet throws it into something which has no cohesion. A good poet will usually borrow from authors remote in time, or alien in language, or diverse in interest.
                          T.S. Eliot, The Sacred Wood

Comment

Sparks' promo video for 'Lighten Up Morrissey', an ode to Morrissey from their album 'Exotic Creatures Of The Deep'.Directed By Shaw Petronio & Anders Weberg.

Comment

Working...
                            X