X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ep. #28- Kosminski Was The Suspect

Thread for discussion of Rippercast Episode #28- Kosminski Was The Suspect

with special guest Rob House.

Featuring Paul Begg, Chris Scott, Ally Ryder, Robert McLaughlin and Jonathan Menges.

iTMS kw: Jack the Ripper

Hi Jonathon

I ‘d just like to thank you and your team for putting together another excellent show, indeed I was left wanting more, more questions, but always leave them wanting more. Brilliant.

Having met with Paul and Rob for lunch a few months ago, I have fore some time been aware of many of the ideas Rob House proposes in this show. It was however excellent to here Rob House going through them again in detail. I am very much looking forward to his proposed book.

May I be the first to congratulate him on his work. Hopefully this pod cast will give many people something to think about and hopefully Rob will start to receive some of the credit and accolade he, and of course Chris Philips, deserve for their research.

It was excellent to here Paul Begg putting together his arguments for the Swanson Marginalia being genuine and hopefully this can now be put to bed, with relation to any further Kosminski discussion…. (I dont think it needs to be said Paul how much I admire all that you do.)

Hats off also to Chris Scott, it would be useful if he could share the information here on the Canadian article he mentions. Also credit where due to Ally Ryder.

If anyone was interested in putting together a Chat room discussion dedicated to this show I would be extremely interested in taking part…

Finally a big thanks to Jonathon who keeps these shows running so masterfully and always seems to come in with the right question at the right time.

I think this show has bought together the latest and most interesting developments on Aaron Kosminski as a Ripper suspect and helped to dispel some of the myths.

Fantastic stuff. Deepest thanks to you all

Pirate

Comment

Hi Pirate
      Glad you enjoyed the podcast - and it was fun to do!
      Regarding the letter I mentioned, I make no great claims (and I hope this was clear) in tying this either to the Crawford letter or to any named suspect. It arose in the context of discussing the Crawford letter in that it is the only account I remember seeing where an alleged suspect was supposedly taken into custody on the evidence of his sister.
      The text is below.
      regards
      Chris

Galveston Daily News
      29 July 1890

JACK THE RIPPER'S VACATION
      A Possible Explanation of the Suspension of Whitechapel Horrors

Halifax, N.S. July 28.
      A curious story has got out here that if true explains the long rest which Jack the Ripper has been taking from his diabolical work in the Whitechapel district, London. A lady from this city visiting a distinguished official in London, states in a letter written to friends here that the Ripper has been under arrest in the London metropolis for some time. He is a medical student and was arrested on the strength of information given by his own sister.
      The authorities, the letter states, have kept the matter a strict secret in order to work up the case against the prisoner, and they are said to have a very complete chain of evidence.
      These statements are vouched for by the writer of the letter who came into possession of the facts accidentally. The person who makes the story public, however, refuses to divulge her name.

Comment

Hi Chris

yes a curious find. The medical student doesn't seem to fit but the sister is of interest. As Rob says its like a jig saw puzzle where you need to work out which bits fit to which jig saw. Thank you for posting this. it is much appreciated.

Hopefully e might meet soon as I have a new job as Paul's driver

Pirate

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
          Hopefully we might meet soon as I have a new job as Paul's driver
          ...I didn't know Paul played golf
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            ...I didn't know Paul played golf
            I cant spell chaufer,,chouffor...bugger it..you know what I meant Mr Flynn.

Comment

Thanks to Chris for posting this report.

Jigsaw puzzle fans will note that it is dated a fortnight after Aaron's first stay in the workhouse.

Comment

A most strong complaint.

Hi all,
                Hope I never catch up with this PAUL BEGG...I shall be sorely tempted to
                tred on his toe.....AND twist my foot!!!!!!!
                Before I got onto these boards,I invested in quite a few books his included,all fact related dictionaries of sorts.....they cost me a pretty penny....some were gifts,but mostly I bought them.I was a single mum,and had to save.A lot of the information because it was mixed with fact,I believed...thinking that if these people studied the subject they must be very well informed,and I should take it all in,as there word was important to know.
                When I get here,and quote on occasion what I have read,I find a lot of it is pure unadulterated crap...to put it mildly.
                Perhaps in future,incase there are others who invest as I did,these authors should have the words, "FACT BASED FICTION" on the cover of their
                books. PC would have to shift up a bit,as there's at least half a dozen other authors in my collection of "Jack crap".
                ANNA.
                **By the way,this list of authors doesn't include our own Stewart....who I think is a really cool guy.

Comment

Thanks Jeff for the compliments, it's our pleasure. This episode was particularly tech problem free and error free.

I want to also thank Rob House and everyone else who participated in the show on Sunday.

Look, I got it under 2 hours!

JM

Comment

Originally posted by anna View Post
                    Hi all,
                    Hope I never catch up with this PAUL BEGG...I shall be sorely tempted to
                    tred on his toe.....AND twist my foot!!!!!!!
                    Before I got onto these boards,I invested in quite a few books his included,all fact related dictionaries of sorts.....they cost me a pretty penny....some were gifts,but mostly I bought them.I was a single mum,and had to save.A lot of the information because it was mixed with fact,I believed...thinking that if these people studied the subject they must be very well informed,and I should take it all in,as there word was important to know.
                    When I get here,and quote on occasion what I have read,I find a lot of it is pure unadulterated crap...to put it mildly.
                    Perhaps in future,incase there are others who invest as I did,these authors should have the words, "FACT BASED FICTION" on the cover of their
                    books. PC would have to shift up a bit,as there's at least half a dozen other authors in my collection of "Jack crap".
                    ANNA.
                    **By the way,this list of authors doesn't include our own Stewart....who I think is a really cool guy.
                    Anna, your practically neighbours, why dont you take it up with him personally?

As far as I'm aware the Facts, Diffinative History and A to Z, are amoungst some of the best books writen on the subject..I'm happy to meet and go through any complaints or questions.

Pirate

Comment

Anna,

Do you have a specific complaint about something Paul Begg said on the show?

If not, then maybe you should find a thread (I'm sure one already exists) that complains generally about the published writings of Begg, as this is not the proper place.

JM

Comment

Hi Mike,

I don't think Macnaghten would lie either but it is still possible that he could be mistaken. I have to wonder if Kosminski as a suspect was simply the result of the process of elimination. Simply take all the names of people committed to an asylum in a given period who had some history of violence (however mild) and who had some association with a knife (didn't he attempt to stab his sister). The same could be said for Druitt if you go on the theory that the Ripper was a doctor and/or he committed suicide. Again, a process of elimination.

c.d.

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Honestly,I must have spent over £60.00 at least,on all these books...
                          which was a lot in those days...
                          If I'd have been in different circumstances,and invested in books on a regular basis..it would be different.
                          It's not so much what's contained in them...it's that you feel a right wally when you get here,thinking you are equal to those at a lower level of knowledge on the subject and feel able to bravely post a few things...only to find others who ask you where you got it from...
                          Luckily for me,the brilliant Sam helped me along,which I shall always thank him for.
                          I just think it is irresponsible to put out books without pointing out quite clearly, that it is not to be taken too seriously.

ANNA.

Comment

Jonathon I’m not certain if this is the time or place but while ‘Chris’ I’m assuming Chris Philips is about…

Rob hinted at a Private Asylum during the show and this is something he has speculated before to explain the period between March 1889 and the Kosminski’s dog event.

I was wondering if Chris and Rob had any further thoughts or joys with searching for a private asylum? Is it possible he went inside and was released?

I.e. Is it possible that Aaron was placed into a private Asylum. Possibly under the name Abraham, which might explain Swanson’s belief that he entered an asylum at an earlier time and died?

Pirate

Comment

Hi JM,

No.....it was a general complaint....nothing personal against this author.He is one of a whole gang of 'em.

I only ever complain once.

Best Regards,
                              ANNA.

Comment

Working...
                              X