Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Move to Murder: Who Killed Julia Wallace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abby, in how many unsolved "intruder" murders, are there witnesses who actually saw the intruder?

Comment

• How many sneak-thieves have worn mittens?
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
        I’ve made this before before Moste and I think that it’s a fair one. It’s not conclusive of course but it does show another piece of good fortune for our ‘master planner.’ And of course, according to Rod’s ‘theory,’ our mysterious Qualtrough would have had to have stood on the doorstep explaining the ‘mistake’ to a woman who was reluctant to admit a stranger to the house whilst she was alone. How long would this have taken? 30 seconds...a minute? The Wallace’s had neighbours either side who had previously heard the Wallace’s door. Also there were neighbours across a narrow street, anyone of whom might have looked out of the window or stood on the doorstep. It was early evening - women talking, kids in the street, men going to the pub.

Our conspirators were lucky boys.
        Totally. The only way in my opinion that a caller would go to that front door ,would be a person with no intention of foul play. Too risky.
        When I was growing up we had short front gardens , but the lady opposite was known locally as ‘the news of the world’ she had a large mirror facing the street over her fireplace ,so that she could observe any and all goings on up and down the street.LoL.

Comment

• Originally posted by moste View Post
          Totally. The only way in my opinion that a caller would go to that front door ,would be a person with no intention of foul play. Too risky.
          When I was growing up we had short front gardens , but the lady opposite was known locally as ‘the news of the world’ she had a large mirror facing the street over her fireplace ,so that she could observe any and all goings on up and down the street.LoL.
          Why is any of this relevant to Wolverton Street in 1931?

Totally different set-up, as I have shown...

Even if you visit Wolverton Street today - as I have done - you are unlikely to encounter anyone after dark.
          Last edited by RodCrosby; 12-10-2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

As I’ve said to Graham, poisoning would have been a giveaway for a man with a chemistry laboratory in his back bedroom.

Calm planning is one thing Eten but consider what pent up anger and resentment might have been unleashed after the first blow or two which might have been all Wallace initially intended.
            If Wallace had a decent chemistry background, he could have chosen a poison that leaves no trace and triggers death through something like a heart attack, so murder wouldn't even be suspected. Of course, he may not have been a particularly good chemist.

The letting out of years of frustration might lead someone to lash out once they started bashing - but we currently have no evidence they were anything other than a happily married couple. Of course, it may have been different behind closed doors, we just don't know.

Comment

I’ve made this before before Moste and I think that it’s a fair one. It’s not conclusive of course but it does show another piece of good fortune for our ‘master planner.’ And of course, according to Rod’s ‘theory,’ our mysterious Qualtrough would have had to have stood on the doorstep explaining the ‘mistake’ to a woman who was reluctant to admit a stranger to the house whilst she was alone. How long would this have taken? 30 seconds...a minute? The Wallace’s had neighbours either side who had previously heard the Wallace’s door. Also there were neighbours across a narrow street, anyone of whom might have looked out of the window or stood on the doorstep. It was early evening - women talking, kids in the street, men going to the pub.

Our conspirators were lucky boys.
              I may be mistaken, but didn't the Johnstons, or Mrs Johnston at least, say they heard someone knock at the Wallace's door earlier that evening - after the milk had been delivered?

Comment

• Originally posted by etenguy View Post
                I may be mistaken, but didn't the Johnstons, or Mrs Johnston at least, say they heard someone knock at the Wallace's door earlier that evening - after the milk had been delivered?
                That would be the Holmes at Number 27. They thought they heard a noise at Number 29 at about 6.35pm, and then the front door closing. [Wilkes, 1985 p.38]

Mrs Johnston, at Number 31, heard no noise until about 8.25pm, when she heard two thumps, which she assumed was her father, who lived in their front parlour, taking off his boots. [Gannon, 2012 p.184]

Comment

• Originally posted by RodCrosby View Post
                  That would be the Holmes at Number 27. They thought they heard a noise at Number 29 at about 6.35pm, and then the front door closing. [Wilkes, 1985 p.38]

Mrs Johnston, at Number 31, heard no noise until about 8.25pm, when she heard two thumps, which she assumed was her father, who lived in their front parlour, taking off his boots. [Gannon, 2012 p.184]
                  Thank you, Rod. I thought I had read something along those lines but misremembered it as Mrs Johnston.

Comment

• So you’d class someone robbing a filling station as a sneak-thief?

Ok...
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

If Wallace had a decent chemistry background, he could have chosen a poison that leaves no trace and triggers death through something like a heart attack, so murder wouldn't even be suspected. Of course, he may not have been a particularly good chemist.

The letting out of years of frustration might lead someone to lash out once they started bashing - but we currently have no evidence they were anything other than a happily married couple. Of course, it may have been different behind closed doors, we just don't know.
                      Mrs Wilson, Dr Curwen, Alfred Mather, Amy Wallace. We have no reason to dismis the opinions of these people in favour of people like the Johnston’s who were little more that nodding acquaintances. And as you’ve said Eten motives often aren’t apparent. People tend to put on a front for the sake of appearances
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

As Rod has said, the Holme’s at 6.35 which ties in with Close leaving after having delivered the milk. This would give Wallace up to 15 minutes to do what he had to.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• None of the negative comments exist outside of a Liverpool policeman's notebook. Even the Prosecution took no notice of them... They never made it into Court.

HEMMERDE KC: In fact, so far as the happiness of this household is concerned, the Crown knows nothing to the contrary of the view that these two people were very happy together.
                          Opening speech for the Crown

'All the evidence is that the prisoner and his wife, to all appearances, were living together in happiness and in amity.'
                          Mr. Justice Wright, summing-up in Rex v Wallace

Wilson was matron of a police remand home, who had only seen the Wallaces very briefly, 8 years previously.
                          Curwen's comments were pretty obscure.
                          No-one who reads Mather can have any doubt that he was motivated by malice, for some private reason.
                          I can find no citation for Amy Wallace, the woman who welcomed WHW into her home the night of the murder, and then suffered malicious gossip herself as a result...

The fact that anyone would cling grimly to this tittle-tattle merely reveals the pitiful paucity of their case...
                          Last edited by RodCrosby; 12-10-2018, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• Wilson had stayed at their home for three weeks. Name anyone else that had spent such a prolonged period of time with the Wallace’s? You dismis her comments purely because of bias. Likewise Curwen.

And your comments about Mather are utterly baseless. You have zero evidence of any kind of grudge. Just because someone makes less than flattering comments you cannot assume that they are being dishonest just because it doesn’t fit in with your viewpoint.

The lack of motive argument is a non-starter and a sign of utter desperation and hopelessly ingrained bias.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

So you’d class someone robbing a filling station as a sneak-thief?

Ok...
                              Take a tip out of the Lawyers' handbook.

Never ask a question you don't know the answer to.

I've demonstrated that criminals/robbers sometime wear mittens.

Therefore the Wallace sneak-thief could have...

Comment

Working...
                              X