Jack the Ripper documentary with T. Wescott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack the Ripper documentary with T. Wescott

Watched this on Reelz, a cable channel on U.S. television. Title is "Jack the Ripper: What" according to our on-screen directory... I'm unsure of the rest of the subtitle, as it was missing. (Maybe "What we know"?)

Very interesting summary of the C5 crimes with dramatic recreations and comments by Wescott and other experts. The prostitutes still seemed too good looking and nicely dressed, for the most part. Included Hutchison as a witness, but not his description of the man with the gold chain and fancy coat. Eddowes's murder conducted under a lamppost.
    The notion that violence was for a purpose of shocking the viewer of the bodies was interesting.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

It's an episode of the true crime series 'Murder Made Me Famous'.

JM

Comment

Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just saw this special for the first time last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it did a good job of establishing the accepted facts that we all know so well, but also throwing in a few new wrinkles (Wescott's theory that Chapman's rings were missing because the Ripper staged the attack at first to look like a mugging, for example).

Nits aside (Eddowes being murdered in a well-lit area, and once again getting the layout of Mary's room all wrong), I thought this was a pretty excellent "Ripper 101" kind of primer. Maybe I've just seen too many terribly-done Ripper specials, but if I were going to point a Ripper neophyte to something to get their feet wet, I'd probably start with this one.

At least through my cable carrier, the program was called "Jack the Ripper: What Happened?" But then when you start watching the program, it identifies itself as "Jack the Ripper: Murder Made Me Famous," so it may take some digging around to actually find this program with your specific carrier.

Comment

Working...
        X