The Curious Case of History vs. James Maybrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by andy1867 View Post
    Sure folk will want to sell books and make money Mike, I have no problem with that...I look for the reviews on here before I buy 'em now....didn't use to..
    but some of the "No suspect" ones are great...they give you the facts laid out and don't shoot off into the realms of "What if"
    I bought some of the more ridiculous ones to start with...but you honestly find most of the stuff you need on here.
    As you slowly glean the facts, and make the odd post, some will ridicule you, some can be very supportive (As long as you agree with their particular "Suspect")
    others will say "Find out for yourself"..Off you trot...
    It leaves no bruises, its the internet, you accept it like that and it hardly matters whether you live 10 yds from Battlecrease...or you are tappin' out yer tat from the 10 Bells or Timbuctoo
    I've got no issues with people wanting to author books on any subject, but the issue arises when those people have a preferred route for their subject to take, as they then become obsessed with making those pieces fit despite having square pegs and round holes.

Nothing against Ripper authors, but I can't really put much stock into those with preferred suspect unless they're willing to change their mind on certain things and accept facts, as opposed to ignoring logic in favour of sticking with their favourite suspects simply because they've spent time and money writing about them. It's insincere and fraudulent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike J. G. View Post
      Could you please point me towards the post in question which discusses the fact that all of the details for James and Florence's argument, plus the National winners and fastest times, is found within a book published in 1969 by noted Ripper researcher, Richard Whittington-Egan?

Cheers.
      No.

Not because I couldn't but rather because I don't have many years left to me and it would take a few of them to trawl through the volumes on this Casebook to answer a question you have posed, not I.

And also because none of it is in any debate - which is what I meant: By pointing us to a book that had some of the details of the case, we would just point you to all the others that have some or all of the points.

You haven't uncovered some great mystery by finding a book which we've all heard of because your gold was mined by others many times over so it ain't that special.
      Iconoclast
      Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

hardly matters whether you live 10 yds from Battlecrease...or you are tappin' out yer tat from the 10 Bells or Timbuctoo
        I've literally never once claimed that my proximity to Battlecrease mattered one iota, though, lol.

Ike seems to be using that as a diversion tactic, and not a very good one.

My mention of my proximity was mentioned in relation to the fact that I've always had an interest in this subject, specifically Maybrick, because I've grown up with the story about his murder and then was around to see all of the nonsense about the diary. That's literally all I meant, but when people have an agenda, they tend to go about doing things in a very odd way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post
          No.

Not because I couldn't but rather because I don't have many years left to me and it would take a few of them to trawl through the volumes on this Casebook to answer a question you have posed, not I.

And also because none of it is in any debate - which is what I meant: By pointing us to a book that had some of the details of the case, we would just point you to all the others that have some or all of the points.

You haven't uncovered some great mystery by finding a book which we've all heard of because your gold was mined by others many times over so it ain't that special.
          As I mentioned previously, I've been reading these threads for far longer than you'd believe. I've never seen any mention of these books popping up anywhere.

This is why I've asked you to point them out, if you're certain that they're there, then you surely must have an idea of who posted them, or a general time when it was brought up.

I've never once claimed to have uncovered anything special. As with everything else in this case, there is nothing special about it. None of the obviously glaring errors in the diary are special, they're merely obvious to anyone willing to exercise logic and simple common sense.

When you have people trying to make up stories about how another random pub or cafe in Liverpool was likely known as the "Poste House" then it's plain to see that simple logic and common sense has gone out of the window to chase a flying pig.

Comment

I've literally never once claimed that my proximity to Battlecrease mattered one iota, though, lol.

My mention of my proximity was mentioned in relation to the fact that I've always had an interest in this subject, specifically Maybrick, because I've grown up with the story about his murder and then was around to see all of the nonsense about the diary. That's literally all I meant, but when people have an agenda, they tend to go about doing things in a very odd way.
            No worries Mike...I'm not mithered whether you live IN Battlecrease or near it..
            Nor am I mithered whether Ike thinks that new posters should be regarded as someone who has walked into their comfy living room sat on the sofa an' f *rted
            Forums are like that..I accept it, once you have accepted it...and come to realise that someone you never met, nor are likely to meet thinks you're a woolly haired scouser, or a "Norvern Mankey" or whatever..doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things...you simply settle down and fight your corner..or look at it as the laughable tat it actually is...

Comment

You have to be joking! Even a blind beggar [like my murder link there?] could see how much it's pricked you. And how much you're bleeding as a consequence!
              Iconoclast

Comment

Andy,

Best post I've read for ages on here (and I include my brilliant ones).

Ike
                Well of course it is......I'm from Yorkshire....Mikes from west of the Pennines...
                My posts are bound to carry more weight cos of the amount of Cricket County Championships won

Comment

You have to be joking! Even a blind beggar [like my murder link there?] could see how much it's pricked you. And how much you're bleeding as a consequence!
                  Being a man who is paid to throw drunken yobs out of sporting events, I'd say you'd have to do a lot better to "prick" me, Ike, lol.

Comment

Well of course it is......I'm from Yorkshire....Mikes from west of the Pennines...
                    My posts are bound to carry more weight cos of the amount of Cricket County Championships won
                    I love it!

Shame you aren't a Maybrickian, Andy - we need some solid stock like you Yorkshire lads in our team (when I say 'our team', there's only me and Spyglass and he's been on holiday in Ibiza for about two months).

Personally, I'm from a great deal further north than even you lads which sadly means we're crap at cricket.

And football come to that ...
                    Iconoclast

Comment

Being a man who is paid to throw drunken yobs out of sporting events, I'd say you'd have to do a lot better to "prick" me, Ike, lol.
                      As I said, calm down, calm down ...
                      Iconoclast

Comment

No worries Mike...I'm not mithered whether you live IN Battlecrease or near it..
                        Nor am I mithered whether Ike thinks that new posters should be regarded as someone who has walked into their comfy living room sat on the sofa an' f *rted
                        Forums are like that..I accept it, once you have accepted it...and come to realise that someone you never met, nor are likely to meet thinks you're a woolly haired scouser, or a "Norvern Mankey" or whatever..doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things...you simply settle down and fight your corner..or look at it as the laughable tat it actually is...
                        Having read this weird forum for years, and being a member on the International Sceptics Forum (another weird one!) among a couple of others, means that I generally don't take much to heart.

That doesn't mean I'm not going to point and laugh, though! I have a finger and a sense of humour.

Comment

As I said, calm down, calm down ...
                          If I were any more calm, I'd be seeping through the hard-wood floor! It's Saturday afternoon and I'm off work for a change, I can't complain.

Comment

Shame you aren't a Maybrickian.
                            You don't believe Maybrick was the Ripper anymore than I do.

Comment

I've got no issues with people wanting to author books on any subject, but the issue arises when those people have a preferred route for their subject to take, as they then become obsessed with making those pieces fit despite having square pegs and round holes.

Nothing against Ripper authors, but I can't really put much stock into those with preferred suspect unless they're willing to change their mind on certain things and accept facts, as opposed to ignoring logic in favour of sticking with their favourite suspects simply because they've spent time and money writing about them. It's insincere and fraudulent.
                              Well thats the time you have a look for yourself Mike..Its all on here, in the papers...
                              You find the round holes and the square pegs and try and sort them out..
                              I fully understand the fact that members of long standing on here, members who are more knowledgeable than such as me, throw their hands up in despair when I post..."Van Gogh then was it?".....
                              Do I care?...not a jot, I carry on...
                              "Ahhh Sickert then eh?"
                              Someone will always rise to it and post...."Its not Sickert... because...

There you go...you learned summatt
                              I started a thread ages ago called "D'Onston for dummies" where the less acquainted with the facts could ask daft questions....and the "Intellegensia" could answer..or not,,,,,
                              about the 3rd post in someone said..."Why do you think its D'onston"

Comment

If I were any more calm, I'd be seeping through the hard-wood floor! It's Saturday afternoon and I'm off work for a change, I can't complain.
                                That'll be because there's no sport on (the footy season being over) ...
                                Iconoclast

Comment

Working...
                                X