No announcement yet.

Help! Travel to US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, when you are driving, and you see a sign that says "last rest stop 50 miles," it means you are going to past the last set of public restrooms (toilets) specifically for people driving on the highways, not the last set of restrooms, period. There will be gas stations, truck stops, and fast food places before the next 50 miles, almost with certainty, unless your map shows a 50 mile bridge (a good reason to have a paper map).

Americans take a dim view of peeing off the side of the road. We understand emergencies, but the police may ask you what's up anyway. There are generally so many places to pull over, that unless you have a bladder infection, you should be fine (and I get a lot of bladder infections, and always manage to make it to a public restroom).

I really don't know what the convention is in Britain, but I know some people from France and Germany (those two countries, specifically), who have gotten into trouble for public urination in pretty secluded areas, mainly because they argued with the state police, or park rangers, or whoever, who told them to move along, by insulting America and its stupid laws.

Comment

Here is a cute little restaurant in New Orleans, there are lovely pictures on the site and the menu is pretty good.

...and it's haunted (atmosphere)
      Last edited by Beowulf; 07-29-2013, 04:54 AM. Reason: change of url

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
        Here is a cute little restaurant in New Orleans, there are lovely pictures on the site and the menu is pretty good.

...and it's haunted (atmosphere)
        Thanks, Beowulf. I'm going to New Orleans next week and may just take the wife here. We try to go to New Orleans every other year (having been married there during Mardi Gras - another story) but we've never eaten at this place.

I recommend the 25 cent martinis during weekday lunch at Commander's Palace. Of course lunch for two will end up costing 80 bucks but somehow that seems reasonable after you each have three martinis. Good deal!

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
          Thanks, Beowulf. I'm going to New Orleans next week and may just take the wife here. We try to go to New Orleans every other year (having been married there during Mardi Gras - another story) but we've never eaten at this place.

I recommend the 25 cent martinis during weekday lunch at Commander's Palace. Of course lunch for two will end up costing 80 bucks but somehow that seems reasonable after you each have three martinis. Good deal!
          The, uh...'coffee's' look pretty good. Wish I could join you!

Comment

Has anyone warned you about "Tilapia" yet? Or is the same in Britain?
            The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Hello you all!

I am planning a trip to Canada and starting a thread with requests about it soon.

Maybe I will pay a visit to their souther neighbours too. Is it worth it?

All the best
              j.r-ahde
              "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
                Hello you all!

I am planning a trip to Canada and starting a thread with requests about it soon.

Maybe I will pay a visit to their souther neighbours too. Is it worth it?

All the best
                j.r-ahde
                No; it's not worth it. There's absolutely nothing to see in the whole of the United States.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Actually Ally, there's the Desert of Maine, which has a tour. A long time ago, there used to be a camel, but they had to get rid of it because it bit and spit at everybody. Now they only have a couple of camel statues and a gift shop.

http://www.desertofmaine.com/

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave O View Post
                    Actually Ally, there's the Desert of Maine, which has a tour. A long time ago, there used to be a camel, but they had to get rid of it because it bit and spit at everybody. Now they only have a couple of camel statues and a gift shop.

http://www.desertofmaine.com/

Dave
                    A tour of the United States on a spitting and biting camel, yike! That must've been a rough one.

Comment

• We have some lovely mystery spots. And fantastic roadside attractions. Like why everyone in this country hasn't been to Weekie Watchee I will never know.
                      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ally View Post
                        No; it's not worth it. There's absolutely nothing to see in the whole of the United States.
                        Well, if he meant "immediately" south, like Montana, or Northern Minnesota, no, not that much. There's Niagara Falls, but I don't know that you can see anything on the US side you can't see on the Canadian side. I haven't actually been there, though, so I don't know. If you can be coaxed as far as New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, or something, that's different. Try not to come in the winter.

Comment

• Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
                          Well, if he meant "immediately" south, like Montana, or Northern Minnesota, no, not that much.
                          Yes of course, not that much. Glacier National Park, Big Sky... YELLOWSTONE, why who in the world would ever want to spend a few hours hiking/viewing some of the most spectacular scenery in the world. Montana, piffle. Hardly worth being a state.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                          I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

• Main Attraction

The main attraction for me to travel into the United States would be to see Ally again.
                            SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

• What a smoothie!

Dave

Comment

• Old...

Worse still I'm an old smoothie...

However, Ally would never be impressed by a smoothie, I'm afraid that it's genuine affection.
                                SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Working...
                                X