Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - by TradeName 1 hour and 16 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - by TradeName 2 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - by TradeName 2 hours ago.
Rippercast: Donald Rumbelow at the Cloak & Dagger Club 1999- The Siege of Sidney Street - by jmenges 3 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by MrBarnett 3 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Batman 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (41 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - (3 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Lawrence - (2 posts)
Letters and Communications: I'm not a butcher, I'm not a Yid...... - (1 posts)
Rippercast: Donald Rumbelow at the Cloak & Dagger Club 1999- The Siege of Sidney Street - (1 posts)
General Discussion: Ripper was several people... - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Shades of Whitechapel

Old 05-21-2018, 05:15 AM
Chief Inspector

Prof Wilson presented a tv series where he tried to connect various serial killers with unsolved murders, I seem to recall him saying something similar in that.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:24 AM
Casebook Supporter

Thanks, Joshua. It just struck me as a sweeping, and potentially unhelpful, statement to make. In other words, there surely must be coincidences when we're dealing with serial killers.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 05-21-2018, 06:53 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Thanks, Joshua. It just struck me as a sweeping, and potentially unhelpful, statement to make. In other words, there surely must be coincidences when we're dealing with serial killers.
I think serial killers are just as likely to attract coincidences as anybody else, no more, no less. Meaning that you are correct - we must allow for coincidences in that context too, just as we do otherwise.

A problem only arises if we start getting far too generous in allowing for - or even conjuring up ourselves - coincidences in heaps to explain away what otherwise seems to clearly point in a certain direction.

As an aside, the barrister James Scobie, of Lechmere docu fame, says in the documentary that when coincidences start to mount up in the Lechmere case, it becomes one coincidence too many. And since I have seen material that was not in the docu, I can say that Scobie spoke very critically about how people are too easily taken in by how possibilities open up escape routes.

I think he is very correct in that respect - many of us are way too happy about ourselves on account of our ability to cook up alternative suggestions in order to try and nullify what looks like damning material. It is a good thing to be cautious not to convict on too little, but when this ambition turns to an exercise in accepting coincidences, knee-jerk fashion, then we are doing research, history and logic a disservice.

Believe me, I know about this, since I have personally seen it happen.

Presumably, this is what David Wilson is after too: Let´s not get naive when dealing with serial killers.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:17 AM
Superintendent

Fish, does Sweden know something that we dont?

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...-to-every-home

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Old 05-22-2018, 03:59 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Well, they're not far from Russia, after all. Besides, the Swedes are practical people, and like to be prepared...
---------------
Old 05-22-2018, 10:09 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Sometimes it is a case of certain Swedes knowing what certain non-Swedes don´t know, I think...

On a more serious note, this all falls back on that submarine that was found in the Swedish archipelago of Blekinge some thirty years ago. Russia has not been truly trusted ever since.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:22 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
I think serial killers are just as likely to attract coincidences as anybody else, no more, no less. Meaning that you are correct - we must allow for coincidences in that context too, just as we do otherwise.

A problem only arises if we start getting far too generous in allowing for - or even conjuring up ourselves - coincidences in heaps to explain away what otherwise seems to clearly point in a certain direction.

As an aside, the barrister James Scobie, of Lechmere docu fame, says in the documentary that when coincidences start to mount up in the Lechmere case, it becomes one coincidence too many. And since I have seen material that was not in the docu, I can say that Scobie spoke very critically about how people are too easily taken in by how possibilities open up escape routes.

I think he is very correct in that respect - many of us are way too happy about ourselves on account of our ability to cook up alternative suggestions in order to try and nullify what looks like damning material. It is a good thing to be cautious not to convict on too little, but when this ambition turns to an exercise in accepting coincidences, knee-jerk fashion, then we are doing research, history and logic a disservice.

Believe me, I know about this, since I have personally seen it happen.

Presumably, this is what David Wilson is after too: Let´s not get naive when dealing with serial killers.
By post #13 Fish has managed to work Lechmere into a Dennis Nielsen thread. Is that a personal best?
Old 06-04-2018, 06:41 AM
Cadet

Both Dahmer and Nilsen - whose MOs share remarkable similarities - lived in apartments/flats with no ready access to a garden or suchlike for quick disposal of murdered victims.

There's no evidence Nilsen fed remains to his dog but that he was endeavouring to dispose of body parts out of necessity. He boiled a severed head in a saucepan in order to heat the flesh from the skull, then flush the flesh and leave bones out for refuse collectors. He did not intend to eat the corpse but this sight greeted investigating officers on first entering his flat and leaked to the press. He exhibited necrophilous behaviour that could have led to something like cannibalism - consuming the body so that it is part of him.

Dahmer may have attempted to create in on victim a servile slave in a zombie state, tiring of killing and having to dispose of bodies.

Both were said to assume the role of the "other" with a dead or catatonic victim - which in Nilsen and Dahmer's mind was now them while they played the part of the dominant stranger.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:01 AM
Casebook Supporter

Good post, Fantomas, although I would point out that Nilsen initially DID live in a ground floor flat with easy (and, ISTR, exclusive) access to the back garden, disposing of his first victims there. It was only after he'd moved to new accommodation, with no such easy means of disposal, that he was caught.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 07-13-2018, 07:01 AM
Sergeant

Nilsen burned many body parts in bonfires in the garden of the flat he had in Cricklewood before he has the flat in Cranley Gardens, Muswell Hill, burning tyres at the same time to hide the smell.
I was living in Muswell Hill when Nilsen was there and have heard a very strange story from someone at Highgate Cemetery [ a walkable distance from Cranley Gardens ] that at the time, a bag of strange rotting meat was thrown over the wall at the cemetery, which was deposed of as no one had any idea it could be suspicious.

Miss marple