Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "One day men will look back...

......and say that I gave birth to the twentieth century."-JtR

This quote was attributed to JtR in the movie From Hell. Does it appear in any of the many letters sent to the police at the time? i have not seen it anywhere.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Hi Abby,

THe line is from the movie, but it was inspiredby several dialogues that the killer, Gull, makes in the original Graphic Novel. Like you, I have also read the Ripper notes looking to see if it was in there and I haven't found it, but there are tons to look through. So, who knows, but I don't think so.
    I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Originally posted by JTRSickert View Post
      Hi Abby,

THe line is from the movie, but it was inspiredby several dialogues that the killer, Gull, makes in the original Graphic Novel. Like you, I have also read the Ripper notes looking to see if it was in there and I haven't found it, but there are tons to look through. So, who knows, but I don't think so.
      Thanks JTRS
      I did not know that-I nevr saw the graphic novel.
      I have Stewart Evan's book Letters from Hell and have read most of the letters in the book, but have not yet seen it.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Abby, are you implying something quasi factual was in From Hell? Dave
        Last edited by protohistorian; 11-10-2010, 10:34 PM. Reason: xpelink
        We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

The only place I have seen that line is in From Hell:
          Sir William Gull: Below the skin of history are London's veins. These symbols, the mitre, the pentacle star — even someone as ignorant and degenerate as you can sense that they course with energy and meaning. I am that meaning. I am that energy. One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th century.

Frederick Abberline: You're not going to see the 20th century!

I think it's just artistic licence. I don't believe that the line appears anywhere in the known documents and letters.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
            The only place I have seen that line is in From Hell:
            Sir William Gull: Below the skin of history are London's veins. These symbols, the mitre, the pentacle star — even someone as ignorant and degenerate as you can sense that they course with energy and meaning. I am that meaning. I am that energy. One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th century.

Frederick Abberline: You're not going to see the 20th century!

I think it's just artistic licence. I don't believe that the line appears anywhere in the known documents and letters.
            Thanks GM

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
              Thanks JTRS
              I did not know that-I nevr saw the graphic novel.
              I have Stewart Evan's book Letters from Hell and have read most of the letters in the book, but have not yet seen it.
              The graphic novel is fab, Abby ! I have two young teenage sons who absoloutly refuse to pick up a book and read, so I've developed a habit of going to the library and getting a wide selection of books that I think might interest them -then I leave the books lying around in their room, nick the cord for the computer screen, tell them that I'm going to bed early (the telly is in my bedroom), and forbid them to keep the light on ("it's an early night -there's school tomorrow !") -of course they discover the pleasure of reading quietly 'in secret' under the covers. They don't admit doing it -but I find the books under their beds and in their backpacks.

I try and choose a couple of 'graphic novels' because they're not 'off-putting' chunks of text, but not pure comic books either.

'From Hell' was one of the best, because not only it had suitably gothic and smoggy 'murder' to appeal to boys, but it also situates the events in 1888 in
              terms of what was happening in the world at the time, and London in particular. It has much in common with Dan Ackroyd's novels (infact, you've given given me the idea to look for 'Dan Leno and the Limehouse Golam' in French -they being computer mad).

The book is a load of 'hokum in the end (the old Steven Knight version of the Whitechapel murders -and of course the Johnny Depp film) -but it does weave in a lot of facts...wanting to check them led me to Casebook..and my boys did read it avidly.
              Attached Files
              http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post
                The graphic novel is fab, Abby ! I have two young teenage sons who absoloutly refuse to pick up a book and read, so I've developed a habit of going to the library and getting a wide selection of books that I think might interest them -then I leave the books lying around in their room, nick the cord for the computer screen, tell them that I'm going to bed early (the telly is in my bedroom), and forbid them to keep the light on ("it's an early night -there's school tomorrow !") -of course they discover the pleasure of reading quietly 'in secret' under the covers. They don't admit doing it -but I find the books under their beds and in their backpacks.

I try and choose a couple of 'graphic novels' because they're not 'off-putting' chunks of text, but not pure comic books either.

'From Hell' was one of the best, because not only it had suitably gothic and smoggy 'murder' to appeal to boys, but it also situates the events in 1888 in
                terms of what was happening in the world at the time, and London in particular. It has much in common with Dan Ackroyd's novels (infact, you've given given me the idea to look for 'Dan Leno and the Limehouse Golam' in French -they being computer mad).

The book is a load of 'hokum in the end (the old Steven Knight version of the Whitechapel murders -and of course the Johnny Depp film) -but it does weave in a lot of facts...wanting to check them led me to Casebook..and my boys did read it avidly.
                Thanks Ruby.

Dan Ackroyd the comic/actor? i did not know he wrote any novels?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                  Thanks Ruby.

Dan Ackroyd the comic/actor? i did not know he wrote any novels?
                  I mean PETER Ackroyd of course -and the lapsus talls you that I'm a Blues Sister ? (probably).

Comment

Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post
                    I mean PETER Ackroyd of course -and the lapsus tells you that I'm a Blues Sister ? (probably).
                    ..and my eldest son is named Louis (Louie) for a reason..
                    (it's been a long day at work..)
                    (and even that I mean John Belushi in Animal House..I'm too tired to Casebook tonight !!!!!).
                    Last edited by Rubyretro; 11-10-2010, 11:51 PM.

Comment

I read the "From Hell" graphic novel recently and don't recall the line about "giving birth to the 20th Century" anywhere in it. But it does show that Gull is able to have visions of the 20th Century. In the graphic novel, while killing Mary Kelly, Gull suddenly finds himself in, instead of Kelly's shabby room, a 20th Century high-tech office, where people use computers and wear fancy clothing. Then Gull goes on a semi-coherent rant about those people being soulless heathens "playing joylessly with their toys," being "numbed by their century," being "given marvels when they are beyond all wonders," etc. Then Gull says something seems to indicate that he believes he is responsible for the 20th Century: "See me! Wake up and look upon me! I am come amongst you. I am with you always!"

As to why the 2001 movie "From Hell" uses the line about giving birth to the 20th Century, I'm guessing maybe the filmmaker thought this was something found in those JTR letters, as some have believed.

Comment

There's a bit of foreshadowing in the "From Hell" graphic novel at the end, too, as Gull's spirit supposedly flies about and appears to people who will later be serial killers in their own rights. Of course, I like the very end, in Ireland, the best...
                        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                        ---------------
                        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                        ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                          There's a bit of foreshadowing in the "From Hell" graphic novel at the end, too, as Gull's spirit supposedly flies about and appears to people who will later be serial killers in their own rights. Of course, I like the very end, in Ireland, the best...
                          The best thing I like about the graphic novel is the drawing style. There are many flashbacks, subjective thoughts visualized, and other dazzling ways of presentation. The opening scene of Chapter 2 is wonderful, showing complete darkness at first and gradually revealing a psychopathic young Gull. That long scene of Gull explaining classic architecture and history to Netley is memorable as well. The writing is pretty good too. But those interested in the facts of the murders might be put off by the wild royal theories that are a rehash of Stephen Knight's Final Solution. The book includes an appendix of author Alan Moore detailing how he used the facts of the murders to create his fiction. But his explanations indicate he didn't understand the facts very well to begin with, as few people ever do. This was before Philip Sudgen's wonderful book that cleaned up a lot of myths and misinformation, after all.

Comment

The line came from Alan Moore. He discusses it, amongst other things in an interview about "From Hell".
                            dustymiller
                            aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                              The line came from Alan Moore. He discusses it, amongst other things in an interview about "From Hell".
                              Is the line in the graphic novel too? If so, can you or anyone show me where it is? I have the book right in front of me but can't find where it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X