No announcement yet.

Mitre Square 3D TEST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Monty. Yes I was half aware that the K&T sign was out in at a later time but I was using Jake's Mitre Square design as a basis. Also The K&T sign sort of feels iconic and seems to fit.

Talking of authenticity, it is hard to know what is or isn't correct when doing something like this. I expect Jake also used 'artistic license' when fitting out his idea of the square. This is why I'd like users of this forum/website to guide me. If something looks wrong then it would be great to be told so I can work out how to fix it. Pictures are a God-send.

Working on the Kearley & Tonge building that faces the entrance to Mitre Square tonight. Also Trying to get the lighting and shadows better.
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

Hi Richard,

The reason Jake kept it in our article was because of that, its an iconic image.

The signage came after K&T bought the empty premises between Pearces home and the warehouse in 98 I believe. Around the same time they bought No3 itself and put the signage on around that time.

Jake worked by over laying various maps. When doing this he found out that Foster was 5 feet out on his plans of the square.

I then had to find every photo I can, even asking Stewart Evans who kindly showed us some images from his own collection, just to get brick textures. I recall Jakes excitement at finding an unseen photo. Not because it was new but because it showed a lental at Horners which he hadn't seen.

That is the precision of Mr Luukanen.

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Richard,

Absolutely stunning. Looks like a lot of work, although I am not familiar with computer graphics.

Were the cobblestone streets bent or angled down like that?

Straight across from where Catherine Eddowes lay are two barriers blocking I'm guessing horse drawing vehicles from going down a very dark narrow alley.

I suppose I'm not the first to think that is the direction in which Jack left the scene?

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
          Richard,

Absolutely stunning. Looks like a lot of work, although I am not familiar with computer graphics.

Straight across from where Catherine Eddowes lay are two barriers blocking I'm guessing horse drawing vehicles from going down a very dark narrow alley.

I suppose I'm not the first to think that is the direction in which Jack left the scene?
          The bollards were indeed there to stop Barrowboys taking the barrows through to Orange Market.

Monty
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Richard,

Thank you Beowulf for your kind comments.

The 'camber' or arched surface to Mitre street (in my render) is wrong. I think there should be a shallow camber but not as pronounced or blocky as I've got at the moment. Rest assured it will be fixed as I progress.

Comment

directions from Mitre sq

Hello Barbara.

"I suppose I'm not the first to think that is the direction in which Jack left the scene?"

Actually, you may find theorists who contend that "Jack" escaped through any one of three passages. Here is my rule of thumb (for what little it is worth) for escape.

1. If "Jack" went through Church Passage, he smacked into PC Harvey.

2. If "Jack" went through St. James Passage, he smacked into Blenkingsop.

3. If "Jack" went through Mitre st, he smacked into PC Watkins.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
                That's really fantastic Richard and a brilliant concept for a website. The site looks really good too

Giving people the opportunity to walk around the crime scenes in real time is excellent

It'll be great to have all the scenes in the future

The Unity program seems to work exceptionally well - IIRC Jake mentioned a possibility of importing his layouts into Unity or a similar progam

Great work Richard - keep it up
                A few years back I suggested to a member to film the Ripperwalk then to upload it to a website. Make it interactive so people could take the "tour" from anywhere in the world at any time of day. For a modest fee of course.

Seems like an idea that could make some money to me.

Great rendering of the square by the way Richard.
                Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                  Hello Barbara.

"I suppose I'm not the first to think that is the direction in which Jack left the scene?"

Actually, you may find theorists who contend that "Jack" escaped through any one of three passages. Here is my rule of thumb (for what little it is worth) for escape.

Cheers.
                  LC
                  No, I love that information!

What IS the little windy passage that is blocked off by what I'm sure is a modern two posts? Where does it go? Gee, those little mysterious windy streets in London are pretty interesting, I'd love to go down one, is that one still there, does it still look like that? In NY that would be a ticket to a mugging If it still looks like that is it dangerous these days?

AND Richard, will you be leaving those there? I was thinking you are recreating 1888, and yes I do realize you are not done and these might be already a planned removal.

Comment

Thanks one and all for the great feedback and positive comments.

I've not done much 'building' tonight as I got involved with 'light-mapping' the square which basically means adding shadows and environmental lighting etc. All I've managed to light-map so far is Horner's & Co. (Church passage) and... a barrel!

I was just testing to see how things come out when light-mapping. The test of a single building (Horner's) took 12 minutes to render, so I'm guesstimating that a full light-mapping of the square will take 1 hour+ Therefore I won't bother to light-map until the square is pretty much complete. BUT at least from the test we can see that a bit of light and shadow (even low quality) really helps flesh out the scene.

I've removed the large Kearly & Tonge sign and added a basic Williams & Co. sign to the front of Williams & Co.s' building (adjacent to Taylor's).

Thanks
                    R

Comment

Hello Barbara.

Cheers.
                      LC
                      One more thing. Well, then of course, as usual with JTR he is like a phantom, how DID he get out? Should Richard include a sleeping Bobby?

Anyone ever wonder if he went through a window?

Comment

choices

Hello Barbara. Thanks.

"how DID he get out?'

What are the options? There are 3.

"Should Richard include a sleeping Bobby?"

Why not? Or wide awake, if he prefers.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

No, I love that information!

What IS the little windy passage that is blocked off by what I'm sure is a modern two posts? Where does it go? Gee, those little mysterious windy streets in London are pretty interesting, I'd love to go down one, is that one still there, does it still look like that? In NY that would be a ticket to a mugging If it still looks like that is it dangerous these days?

AND Richard, will you be leaving those there? I was thinking you are recreating 1888, and yes I do realize you are not done and these might be already a planned removal.
                          Beowulf, by 'two posts' do you mean the bollards? If so then the passage is Church Passage which leads to Duke Street. The Bollards may be a little too modern but can easily be changed/redesigned. However they were there in 1888 so will stay BUT you will have the chance to walk down both passages and out on to Duke street (from Church passage) and into James Place (from St James Passage) once I get that far!

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
                            Beowulf, by 'two posts' do you mean the bollards? If so then the passage is Church Passage which leads to Duke Street. The Bollards may be a little too modern but can easily be changed/redesigned. However they were there in 1888 so will stay BUT you will have the chance to walk down both passages and out on to Duke street (from Church passage) and into James Place (from St James Passage) once I get that far!
                            Yes, evidently they are bollards (I looked it up on images).

This is beautiful work, Richard. I look forward to walking down the passages, how exciting!

Comment

Or...

Hello Barbara.

Cheers.
                              LC
                              Hi Lynn,

Or one of the three wasn't where he said he was, when he said he was. I think I'd rule out Mitre Street as it would involve exiting west when (assuming the apron piece indicates direction of travel) he intended to head north-east.

Regards, Bridewell.
                              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Bromley

Hello Bridewell. Thanks.

"Or one of the three wasn't where he said he was, when he said he was."

Well, I certainly can't disagree with that.

"I think I'd rule out Mitre Street as it would involve exiting west when (assuming the apron piece indicates direction of travel) he intended to head north-east."

But see Gavin Bromley's excellent 2-part piece on this notion.

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X