BBC1 Ripper Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC1 Ripper Street

I'm not the type that does any research themselves but I do check in here and jtrforums sometimes to read the latest. I don't post much as I don't have much to say.
    I keep up with BBC drama via email and rss. I noticed an announcement from the press office earlier. Couldn't find it mentioned anywhere else here.

Tiger Aspect Productions and co-producer Lookout Point have been commissioned by Danny Cohen, Controller BBC One and Ben Stephenson, Controller Drama Commissioning, to make 8-part drama series, Ripper Street for BBC One.

Created by writer Richard Warlow (Mistresses, Waking The Dead), Ripper Street is an extraordinary new drama set in the East End of London in 1889, during the aftermath of the "Ripper" murders. The action centres around the notorious H Division – the police precinct from hell – which is charged with keeping order in the chaotic streets of Whitechapel.

Ripper Street explores the lives of characters trying to recover from the Ripper's legacy, from crimes that have not only irretrievably altered their lives, but the very fabric of their city. At the drama's heart our detectives try to bring a little light into the dark world they inhabit.

Danny Cohen, Controller, BBC One, says: "Ripper Street is a gripping new drama for BBC One. Set against the backdrop of a fevered historical London, I believe it has the quality and intensity to be a hit with BBC One viewers."

Ripper Street will be executive produced for Tiger Aspect by Will Gould and Head of Drama Greg Brenman and for Lookout Point by Simon Vaughan (Parade's End, Titanic). Polly Hill will executive produce for the BBC. Shooting commences in spring 2012.

Greg Brenman says: "We are so excited about Ripper Street and believe that Richard Warlow is creating a period show that respects its moment in history whilst also achieving a thoroughly modern, entertaining and visceral piece of entertainment."

Simon Vaughan adds: "The Ripper case was the first ever mass-media man hunt and is known literally all over the world. We are producing a British drama with global ambitions and we are already having conversations with a number of US and international broadcasters who recognise the in built branding of the title."
    MO
    These are not clues, Fred.
    It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
    They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
    And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
    We will not.

Hello Ozzy,

Thank you for this information. I will be especially interested in this because of the following promotional comments..

Created by writer Richard Warlow (Mistresses, Waking The Dead), Ripper Street is an extraordinary new drama set in the East End of London in 1889, during the aftermath of the "Ripper" murders. The action centres around the notorious H Division – the police precinct from hell – which is charged with keeping order in the chaotic streets of Whitechapel.

Ripper Street explores the lives of characters trying to recover from the Ripper's legacy, from crimes that have not only irretrievably altered their lives, but the very fabric of their city. At the drama's heart our detectives try to bring a little light into the dark world they inhabit.
    "The police precinct from hell" is an interesting comment...perhaps I am (wrongly) a little wary of it.

"...the lives of characters trying to recover from the Ripper's legacy, from crimes that have not only irretrievably altered their lives..." suggests that they will finally try to re-create the real feelings of the people living there. From personal family knowledge, I hope that there isn't too much artistic licence involved.. and if they really want to tell the world what the people of the area went through, I hope they hit the right chord.

It also suggests we are going to get the policemen on the beat at the centre of it all. Well then they are going to have to balance this very carefully. Because the influx of non-local policemen, many in plain clothes, had an effect on the local population...,and the many scenarios in and around Whitechapel.

I sincerely hope the researchers of this series have done their homework properly and asked the right questions of the right people. If they have, then there is a superb possibility in this. If they haven't I will be personally very disappointed indeed.

kindly

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

Thanks for posting this interesting news.

I still can't quite believe that the BBC executive described a drama set in the aftermath of the Ripper murders as a "visceral piece of entertainment," though ...

Comment

Hello Chris,

An example of promotion doggerel? I do hope not. In which case it does not bode well. I fear an "Eastenders" scenario rising.

kindly

Phil
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

I think I have identified the Ripper.

Comment

Hello Robert,

No.. can't be him.. he appeared as a policeman in a tv series..

kindly

Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Well, if it was Bean he has the right to remain silent, Phil.

Comment

Hello Robert,

Indeed. Visions of that turkey at Christmas, hunting the watch he lost inside it whilst stuffing the beast, and ending up wearing it on his head.. somehow tell me that he may have been noticed in Whitechapel!

kindly

Phil
                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

If it's half as good as Casualty 1909 it'll be well worth watching. If it's twice as good as the normal Ripper fodder, I'll go and grout the bathroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post
                    If it's half as good as Casualty 1909 it'll be well worth watching. If it's twice as good as the normal Ripper fodder, I'll go and grout the bathroom.
                    It's posts like this that make me wish there was a 'like' button on casebook. Totally agree.
                    best,

claire

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      Thanks for posting this interesting news.

I still can't quite believe that the BBC executive described a drama set in the aftermath of the Ripper murders as a "visceral piece of entertainment," though ...

Archaic

Comment

Another article on the proposed series!

Comment

Ideas For A Better Name?

The name 'Ripper Street' doesn't grab me... seems like the writers could have come up with something much more catchy and interesting. Are they designating one particular street as being "Ripper Street'; perhaps Commercial Road or Whitechapel High Street? (Sorry, I can't recall what street H-Division headquarters was on.) I guess they want to avoid using 'Whitechapel' in the title, since there was already a series by that title.

Anyone have any suggestions for a better name for this series?

Here's a couple I thought of off the top of my head:

'H-Division'

'Do As You Like Street'

'The Rookery'

(I think I like 'The Rookery' best.)

Cheers,
                          Archaic

Comment

I agree, "Ripper Street" sounds awful. It sounds like a confounded soap opera.

Comment

'In Ripper Street'

Robert, the name 'Ripper Street' reminds me of that famous scene in the BBC's 'Brideshead Revisited' where Charles Ryder (Jeremy Irons) is stuck at home during the college holidays because he's spent all his pocket money.

There's that wonderful scene where Charles valiantly attempts to survive an excruciatingly dull dinner at home alone with his crusty old father, Sir John Gielgud, who's very formal and old-fashioned and pretends to be unable to comprehend the idea that a young man might somehow have run through all his spending money ahead of schedule. He pretends he believes his son is staying home and dining with him from choice...It's so awkward and funny! Charles is hoping against hope that if he plays along his father will take pity on him and front him some cash.

But when Gielgud finally grasps the alien concept that his son is flat broke, instead of offering monetary assistance he unsympathetically casts about for the properly archaic phrase to describe his son's embarrassing situation:
                              "Shall we say you are hard up? Penurious? Distressed? Embarrassed? Stoney broke? On the rocks? In Queer Street? - Your cousin Melchior was imprudent with his investments and got into a very queer street - worked his passage to Australia before the mast."

Maybe when you're flat-broke in Whitechapel, you're 'in Ripper Street'?

Archaic
                              Last edited by Archaic; 09-15-2011, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X