Stewart Evans and Don Rumbelow on History Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stewart Evans and Don Rumbelow on History Channel

Have just finished watching a programme on JtR, "Mystery Quest" I think was its title on History Channel.
    Both Stewart Evans and Don Rumbelow gave expert accounts of the historical background to the case, as one would expect , and showed due reservation when it came to expressing any certainty about who the killer might have been . I thought the presenter, while well able to grab the attention of the viewer, was actually a bit glib about reckoning Tumblety to be the killer .His use of just one handwriting expert to determine that Tumblety had written the Lusk letter wasa bit over the top.His other points made sense although there is still doubt about whether his assertion that Tumblety owned a collection of organs,let alone that they were classified according to social class,came as a bit of a surprise since this has not yet be proven to be a historical fact.
    Norma
    Last edited by Natalie Severn; 01-25-2010, 01:49 AM. Reason: two commas

just finished watching it and have to say the programme is well summed up by the first poster.
    If anyone missed it its on again in the uk on wednesday evening at 8pm on the history channel(sky channel 529),well worth a watch.

Comment

I didn't care much for it. The guys makes too many assumptions without verifiable concrete proof, only 1 handwriting expert is asked their opinion of the Lusk letter, he wastes time focusing on the Mary Pearcy assumption since she has never been regarded as a Ripper suspect, and most importantly, when you watch the program, the murder of Mary Kelly is not mentioned at all! Her name isn't even in the program. Hmmm, and why is that? Could it have something to do with the possibility that Tumblety was in jail at the time of the Kelly murder. (it's not definite, but it is possible) And, if he was in fact, in jail, then I guess that pretty much throws him out the window as a suspect. Even if it definitively doesn't rule him out, they could have at least mentioned her murder. I was severly disappointed by that.
      I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Hi JTRS,
        I dont think Tumblety was actually in jail on November 9th.He was said to have jumped "bail"---which may or may not have entailed a spell inside.The offence with which he was charged was "relatively" minor.
        Best
        Norma

Comment

Hey Natalie,

I do believe that Tumblety's bail hearing was officially recorded as being on November 16th, however it is possible he got out on bail before that. However, he didn't flee London until after the 16th. But, don't you agree with me though that the program could have at least mentioned the Kelly murder?
          I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Hi JTRS,
            Definitely.In a sense Mary Kelly"s death is of huge importance since it was believed by many at the time [and since] to mark the end of the series.
            The programme seemed to focus on the "likelihood " of Tumblety as the Ripper,while exploring the "unlikelihood" of Mary Pearce being Jill the Ripper!
            Best Wishes
            N

Comment

New programme being made.

Just got back from a couple of days filming a new JTR extravaganza in Maidstone and London. It is being produced by a Canadian company (you should have seen the bill for flying all their kit over).

It will be two hours long and instead of being suspect based uses the format of just having people talking about the Ripper and their views on the killings. Paul Begg, Don Rumbelow, Jeff Leahy, Philip Hutchinson, another chap whose name I didn’t catch, and since there was a spare seat – me!

Somewhere in this universe is a picture of me eating a chip impaled on the end of Don’s Jack the Ripper knife, didn’t have any kidneys I presume. Anyone who hasn’t been to Paul Beggs pub in Maidstone, you don’t know what you are missing. I’ll post a couple of piccy’s later.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hinton View Post
                Paul Begg, Don Rumbelow, Jeff Leahy, Philip Hutchinson, another chap whose name I didn’t catch,
                That was me, Bob! And a great time it was too.

Comment

Apologies

John, I do apologise, I thought it was John but I didn't want to put that in case I was wrong.

I attach some piccys.
                  Attached Files

Comment

The first two are Pauls Pub in Maidstone and the other is the camera crew in this fantastic house in Princelet Street, right in the heart of Ripper country

Comment

A fine day it was to. particularly interested in your demonstration of the Ripper MO carried out on Philip. Many thanks Bob.

Trust the next day went well. Good to meet you at last.

Jeff

Comment

Will this program be broadcast in the US?

Comment

I assume so. It was a Canadian production company.

Comment

Ewwwww....Canadians!

LOL kidding

Comment

never mind amercia,will it be shown in UK Bob?

Comment

Working...
                              X