General Questions Not Yet Answered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

demands

Hello CD. I wonder if the ladies were in a position to make demands? I suppose it was a matter of supply and demand and, unless I miss my guess, the supply outstripped the demand--especially given the large influx of "drabs" into the "work" force. (Geez, I sound like an oeconomist!)

The best.
    LC

Comment

[QUOTE=kwanitaka;105209]
      2-What was the type of sex generally asked for? Was it oral sex? Did this put the victims on their knees so strangling or cutting the throat was easy?

Good question! I've often wondered this myself. Try picturing the logistics of killing the victim remembering that JTR had to prevent a lot of noise. If using the position where the woman is facing away from JTR, probably with her hands leaning against a wall it would be difficult at best. Face-to-face would be better assuming that JTR attacked before she got too close. Once too close he would lose all leverage/power. Oral would seem the most sure way to accomplish his ends.

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post
        Would the men have paid though? I think they'd have wanted their "Pound of flesh"first being destitute as they were I don't think they'd have had much choice about payment
        Belinda, while not an expert on prostitution I do believe that then as now, payment MUST be up front. Think about it: if the punter gets serviced first what's she going to do if he walks away or tells her to sod off afterward? Call the police? She's (ahem) doubly screwed in that case. So, always get the money first would seem to be the cardinal rule of a streetwalker or any callgirl.

I'd add as per the type of sex: my guess would be it's have to be 99.9% the old-fashioned one leg up against the wall coitus: it's fastest, it does the trick(oh, dear) and frankly it's the least messy of sex acts on a street. Kneeling on a frequently wet and always dirty pavement? No way-plus, oral sex was I believe considered more of a "perversion" in the LVP. Not saying no one did it, but these women were part-time prostitutes at best; they wanted the quickest way of getting a few pence for a drink or a bed.
        Last edited by JennyL; 11-15-2009, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JennyL View Post
          Belinda, while not an expert on prostitution I do believe that then as now, payment MUST be up front. Think about it: if the punter gets serviced first what's she going to do if he walks away or tells her to sod off afterward? Call the police? She's (ahem) doubly screwed in that case. So, always get the money first would seem to be the cardinal rule of a streetwalker or any callgirl.
          I think alot of prostitutes did and do get "Screwed over" when a customer dosn't pay. Lynn put it better than I did. The customer could easily have found somebody more accomodating.They had to take the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by JennyL View Post
            I'd add as per the type of sex: my guess would be it's have to be 99.9% the old-fashioned one leg up against the wall coitus: it's fastest, it does the trick(oh, dear) and frankly it's the least messy of sex acts on a street. Kneeling on a frequently wet and always dirty pavement? No way-plus, oral sex was I believe considered more of a "perversion" in the LVP. Not saying no one did it, but these women were part-time prostitutes at best; they wanted the quickest way of getting a few pence for a drink or a bed.
            Hi JennyL,

Points to ponder: I can't say that I believe that there is really much new in the human sexuality in the past few thousand years, only differences in the way cultures deal with it. Oral sex may well have been considered a perversion in Victorian London, but that would only serve as a reason that some men would seek the services as a prostitute as that particular act would likely be unavailable at home. Please remember that these women were far past their prime (Kelly excepted) and were in desperate circumstances. Given their profession they can't have had much self respect. Their interest is strictly in the money. Any "unusual" or "perverted" requests would only be played for a larger fee. Whether JTR used oral sex as a ploy to put the victims in a more vulnerable position I don't claim to know but it does seem logical because any other position that I can think of would afford them the chance to scream and would also likely be noisy as far as a scuffle goes.

Sincerely,

Celticsun

Comment

Given their profession they can't have had much self respect.

I have to disagree with you there. They may have had to sell their bodies.That does not mean they had to sell their souls.

Comment

Given their profession they can't have had much self respect.

I have to disagree with you there. They may have had to sell their bodies.That does not mean they had to sell their souls.
                I'll stand my ground on this one. Picture it in today's terms. A woman enters a man's car and performs a sex act. He may be 80 years old, may weigh 400 lbs, may not have bathed in a couple of weeks. It doesn't matter because she needs to feed her habit. That it something that would weigh heavily on her soul and in very short order. Don't romanticize prostitution.

Comment

Originally posted by celticsun View Post
                  I'll stand my ground on this one. Picture it in today's terms. A woman enters a man's car and performs a sex act. He may be 80 years old, may weigh 400 lbs, may not have bathed in a couple of weeks. It doesn't matter because she needs to feed her habit. That it something that would weigh heavily on her soul and in very short order. Don't romanticize prostitution.
                  I'm not romatcising it.You have no right to say they had no self respect because they had to Prostitute themselves to get money.This is Victorian England we are talking about.What were they supposed to do. Go on the Dole?

Comment

I'm not romatcising it.You have no right to say they had no self respect because they had to Prostitute themselves to get money.This is Victorian England we are talking about.What were they supposed to do. Go on the Dole?
                    I'm trying to disagree without being disagreeable. Please do not think that I am without sympathy for these women. I certainly do realize their plight and do have sympathy for them. It seems to me that they life dealt them more than could handle and they turned to alcohol to dull the pain. Prostitution is a dirty, nasty business, however, and one that is bound to negatively affect one's self respect.

Comment

I'm trying to disagree without being disagreeable. Please do not think that I am without sympathy for these women. I certainly do realize their plight and do have sympathy for them. It seems to me that they life dealt them more than could handle and they turned to alcohol to dull the pain. Prostitution is a dirty, nasty business, however, and one that is bound to negatively affect one's self respect.
                      It certainly is. Do you think it affects the self respect of the men who pay for these womens services?

No supply without demand

Comment

It certainly is. Do you think it affects the self respect of the men who pay for these womens services?

No supply without demand
                        I don't think that the men who pay for these services have much self respect to begin with. Or empathy, for that matter.
                        Last edited by celticsun; 11-15-2009, 08:59 AM.

Comment

I don't think that the men who pay for these services have much self respect to begin with. Or empathy, for that matter.
                          Neither do I

Comment

Neither do I
                            Good talking to you Belinda, but it's sleep time for now. Perhaps we can try to make some sense of George Hutchinson next time.

Comment

Good talking to you Belinda, but it's sleep time for now. Perhaps we can try to make some sense of George Hutchinson next time.
                              That would certainly keep us occupied

Comment

There aren't many 80 year olds who weigh 400lbs.

Comment

Working...
                                X