Diary to Ripper letter handwriting comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diary to Ripper letter handwriting comparison

Not sure how this is going to come out but I wanted to post this as an example of how the common idea that the diary's handwriting is not like any of the ripper letters is simply not true.

I'm afraid I have had to compress the image and, as such, I have a nasty feeling that it will be too small for you to make an informed descision. However, I will try it and, if it isn't any good, I am more than willing to send the larger' original version, via email, to anyone who so wishes. I have already sent a copy to Robert Smith, the owner of the diary.

The letters and words taken from the diary are bracketed in red or have arrows pointing from them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	670835

Hi Temp, can you please tell us which letter this is and the date of the letter?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom!

As far as I am aware, the letter (actually I believe it's a postcard, sorry) was dated the 22nd November 1888, and was either - depending on which source you go with - posted in the Stoke Newington area, or was found disgarded in Stoke Newington. If memory serves me correct (it has been a long time since I last saw it), it has a catalouge Ref. of MEPO 3/142 f.27

I hope that helps.

Tempus
      Last edited by Tempus omnia revelat; 04-26-2012, 05:58 PM.

Comment

MEPO 3/142 f.27

Hello Time. Are you saying that the author of MEPO 3/142 f.27 is the same chap who hoaxed the diary then?

I daresay Caroline will be interested in this one.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
          Hello Time. Are you saying that the author of MEPO 3/142 f.27 is the same chap who hoaxed the diary then?

Cheers.
          LC
          thats one way of looking at it......any reason why this particular one has been used as an example or is it just for demonstration purpose Tempus ?

Comment

The diary is not a hoax, I'm afraid, Lynn. There is absolutely no tangible evidence to suggest that it is. In fact, all the evidence that has been presented up to now points in the other direction.

Whoever wrote the diary - and I believe it was James - also wrote this postcard.

Kind regards,

Tempus

Comment

Hello, Tempus.
              Some of your comparisons look pretty good e.g. "again" and "soon". However, the signature, '"Jack the Ripper"' is quite different from the one in the alleged journal and, overall, the handwritings do not appear a match to me.

Best wishes,
              Steve.
              Last edited by Steven Russell; 04-26-2012, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Hi Jason!

I chose this one as it is the easiest of the ones I have found to show comparisons on the postcard/letter itself. I do have other letters which I am confident cross over the handwriting of James and the diarist (including the often maligned 17th September letter - which, again, has no evidence against it being genuine), but they are far to large to download here.

However, as I say, I am willing to send people comparisons that I have created through email contact.

Tempus
                Last edited by Tempus omnia revelat; 04-26-2012, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Hi Tempus,

May we see the address side of the postcard?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Simon
                  Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Hi simon!

That is one of the things I am aiming to do. As far as I am aware, the reverse side has never been photographed (for some strange reason). It may be to do with the way it sits in the file (the PRO are, quite rightly, strict about taken items out of the files). However, I have permission to photograph one of the other letters with infrared film, so I will ask if I am able to photograph the reverse of this one at the same time. If I can, I will post it here.

Kind regards,

Tempus

Comment

Hi Tempus,

Much appreciated.

Regards,

Simon
                      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Good work, tempus.

I've read most of the JM case and am yet to see any real solid proof that he's not the ripper. This evidence only means more detective work is necessary.

Comment

hoax

Hello Time. Thanks.

"all the evidence that has been presented up to now points in the other direction. "

Do you have an example of that? I know of no real evidence that the diary is genuine. Although it may be a very old hoax.

I also know of no evidence to suggest that Maybrick either:

1. Killed anyone.

2. Was violent.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

onus

Hello Kaz.

"I've read most of the JM case and am yet to see any real solid proof that he's not the ripper."

But isn't the onus on the assertor of the positive thesis?

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                              Hello Kaz.

"I've read most of the JM case and am yet to see any real solid proof that he's not the ripper."

But isn't the onus on the assertor of the positive thesis?

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Working...
                              X