All Roads Lead to Dorset St.,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Batman View Post
    Then we have the journalists finding out later where the shed was and it looks like that it is this front from of #26 owned by McCarthy.
    I'm pretty sure that, if something was referred to as a "shed", it meant precisely that. McCarthy's "shed" wasn't a shed at all, but a room inside a building. If there's any truth in the story of the "Shed Lady", it almost certainly didn't involve the front room of 26 Dorset Street. There must have been other, proper sheds in the vicinity, after all.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      I'm pretty sure that, if something was referred to as a "shed", it meant precisely that. McCarthy's "shed" wasn't a shed at all, but a room inside a building. If there's any truth in the story of the "Shed Lady", it almost certainly didn't involve the front room of 26 Dorset Street. There must have been other, proper sheds in the vicinity, after all.
      ‘the nightly refuge of some ten to twenty houseless creatures who are without the means of paying for their beds'.

That's the shed. Full of ten to twenty of them. All the witnesses are saying is that she was sometimes one of those.

'Shed ladies', plural.

It's obviously the front room of 26 Dorset St., because the journalists at the time pretty much identified it as being that very place.

They did all the work for us.
      Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

There is a fair chance the "shed" was the stables owned by Fred and Sam Ball next door at 24 and 25 Dorset Street.

Stride and Kidney seemed to be living at 38 Dorset Street prior to her murder.
        Furnished rooms owned by John McCarthy.

Bowyer lived at 37 and there was a coal dealership at 39. All owned by McCarthy.
        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Stride is only known to have been in Dorset Street in 1885, three years before the murders. She seems to have spent much of her remaining time in and around St George in the East where, significantly I think, she met her end. .
          Stride was living with Kidney up until 12 days before her death
          Kidney lived at 38 Dorset street

This desperation to attempt to put distance between the victims I have always found odd
          They all lived or had lived within a few doors of each other .They frequented the same pubs ....and virtually lived in them .
          Pubs were tiny and most still are, these are not night clubs .
          I was in the ten bells on Sunday .... most of it is taken up by the bar .
          The horn of plenty would have been tiny , probably the size of someone's parlour
          Of course they were well acquainted with each other .It would be ridiculous to think otherwise
          You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Originally posted by packers stem View Post
            Stride was living with Kidney up until 12 days before her death
            Kidney lived at 38 Dorset street

This desperation to attempt to put distance between the victims I have always found odd
            They all lived or had lived within a few doors of each other .They frequented the same pubs ....and virtually lived in them .
            Pubs were tiny and most still are, these are not night clubs .
            I was in the ten bells on Sunday .... most of it is taken up by the bar .
            The horn of plenty would have been tiny , probably the size of someone's parlour
            Of course they were well acquainted with each other .It would be ridiculous to think otherwise
            Kidney and Stride lived in Devonshire street, off the Commercial Road prior to Stride leaving him I believe.

Comment

This shed is mentioned in the Daily Telegraph, in describing the layout of No.26.

"It has seven rooms, the first-floor front, facing Dorset-street, being over a shed or warehouse used for the storage of costers' barrows."
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
                Kidney and Stride lived in Devonshire street, off the Commercial Road prior to Stride leaving him I believe.
                Kidney gave gave his address as 38 Dorset Street at the inquest .
                She was living with him until "Tuesday week"

Comment

Kidney gave gave his address as 38 Dorset Street at the inquest .
                  She was living with him until "Tuesday week"
                  Crossinghams other Doss House, same side as Miller's Court?

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
                    Crossinghams other Doss House, same side as Miller's Court?
                    Definitely same side
                    Dorset street was numbered sequentially
                    So Chapman and Nichols at 35 were on the same side also .
                    Was the Horn of plenty in between McCarthy and 35 ?

Comment

Definitely same side
                      Dorset street was numbered sequentially
                      So Chapman and Nichols at 35 were on the same side also .
                      Was the Horn of plenty in between McCarthy and 35 ?
                      The Horn of plenty was on the corner of Crispin Street. No. 38 was McCarthy's, a shop on the ground floor and rooms above, next door but one to the Horn.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                        The Horn of plenty was on the corner of Crispin Street. No. 38 was McCarthy's, a shop on the ground floor and rooms above, next door but one to the Horn.
                        Thanks

Comment

Looks like my Tattslotto numbers for next week are .......

25 26 30 33 35 38 and 30 as supp.
                          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

It would make sense as the last time he saw Stride was in Commercial Street, as he was returning from work. I wonder how long they had been in Dorset street?

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                              This shed is mentioned in the Daily Telegraph, in describing the layout of No.26.

"It has seven rooms, the first-floor front, facing Dorset-street, being over a shed or warehouse used for the storage of costers' barrows."
                              https://www.casebook.org/press_repor.../dt881110.html
                              Yes, but that's a description of McCarthy's place in connection with the Kelly murder. And good luck fitting 20 or so unfortunates in a front room containing costermongers barrows and God knows what else.

Also, I find it somewhat unlikely that a businessman like McCarthy would leave his stockroom, effectively his house, open as a "drop-in centre" for rough sleepers.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post
                                It's obviously the front room of 26 Dorset St., because the journalists at the time pretty much identified it as being that very place.
                                Not in connection with the Eddowes murder, they didn't. Even in her case, the unidentified shed only seems to appear in one sentence, in one early report, in one newspaper. And the notion that the front room of #26 was the ONLY "shed" in Dorset Street - or "off" Dorset Street - is rather hard to believe.
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Working...
                                X