1888 Dr. Bond Biography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1888 Dr. Bond Biography

Here's a biography of Thomas Bond from a book called 'Contemporary Medical Men' that was published the same year as the Ripper Murders, 1888. (It was published before the Ripper Murders occurred.)

It's an interesting short bio and includes a nice portrait of Bond as well as mention of some of the earlier high-profile criminal cases Bond was involved with.

I looked to see if any other Ripper-related names were covered but his was the only one I recognized.

Here is the link in case anyone's interested:
    Leyland- Contemporary Medical Men:

Best regards, Archaic
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Archaic; 03-31-2010, 11:21 PM.

Thanks a lot for posting this Archaic.I will study it later but scanning through it looks most interesting.
    A point of interest for me,personally, is that when I was researching stuff on Klosowski /Chapman I discovered that the Polish system for training to become a surgeon began with a 5 year apprenticeship to a local surgeon with the progression to a hospital course at the end of it---almost exactly similar to the one in the UK up until the mid 1850's -just as the article states.In the UK the hospital course usually lasted for one year,whereas in Poland it appeared to last for a shorter period and progress by a sequence of short courses followed by exams and increasing status, as each module was successfully achieved.chapman by the way,appears to have reached the status of a junior surgeon from being simply an "assistant surgeon".

Dr Bond"s route is fascinating.Clearly as the medical training became more exam based,by the mid 1850"s , he went on to study medicine more theoretically and at a higher level.

Great to see you back,

Norma

Comment

Hello Archaic,

Thank you for posting this. Very nice post. This shows a small sample of Bond's handwriting. Has anyone a copy of his so-called 'Post Mortem report' to compare the writing with, as it has been claimed to have been written by his assistant, Hebbert, perchance?

best wishes

Phil
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
      Accountability? ....

Comment

Bond Obituary from Medical Journal

Hi, guys; you're very welcome.

I have this rather short Bond obituary notice as well.
        It was printed in the June 13, 1901 medical journal 'The Medical News.'
        I found same notice (worded exactly the same) in several other medical journals too.

Best regards, Archaic
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Folks
          Nice find Arch. I particularly like the sketch of Bond.

Phil, the quality isn’t great but I’ve attached a couple of photos of Bond’s reports which I hope will be adequate for general comparison. The first is the first page of Bond on Kelly (MEPO 3/3153 f.12). The second is the last page of Bond on McKenzie (MEPO 3/140 f.262).

Best Wishes
          Alex
          Attached Files
          But for me, in my impenetrable mantle, the safety was complete. Think of it – I did not even exist!
          (HJFSotC – SCoDJaMH – RLS, 1886)

https://www.amazon.com/author/alexchisholm
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/e/B006JFY5TC

Comment

Hi Alex. I like that sketch of Bond too, it's very well done.

Thanks for those copies of Bond's reports.

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

Bond's Reports, Handwriting & 'The Echo' Nov. 10, 1888

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
              This shows a small sample of Bond's handwriting. Has anyone a copy of his so-called 'Post Mortem report' to compare the writing with, as it has been claimed to have been written by his assistant, Hebbert, perchance?

best wishes, Phil
              Hi, all. I thought it might be helpful to put a link here to Phil's previous thread re: 'The Echo' of Nov. 10, 1888, because in that thread Phil explains his reasons for wanting to see more samples of Bond's handwriting. Among other questions, there is a question as to whether Dr.Hebbert might actually have penned some of Dr. Bond's inquest papers.

Alex has kindly posted some of the handwritten inquest papers here for the sake of comparison.

'The Echo' 10/10/88, Dr. Bond, Inquest Papers, etc. Thread:
              General discussion about anything Ripper related that does not fall into a specific sub-category. On topic-Ripper related posts only.

Best regards, Archaic
              Last edited by Archaic; 04-03-2010, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Has anybody wondered about Robert Anderson"s handwriting with regards to these curious anomalies?
                Perhaps it was Anderson himself ?
                He was after all a bit of a dab hand at it to judge from his 1910 "confessions" about making things up for The Times about Parnell in 1887,only twelve months before.

Comment

Hello all,

Alex, many thanks for your copy of a sheet from the "Bond" papers..most helpful indeed.

Archaic, thank you for the cross reference, it may prove extremely useful!

Norma, now that is something I tried to find via the 1901 census, but sadly Mr Anderson, and his family, are not "at home" and cannot find them at all.

Perhaps others can help?

best wishes

Phil
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                  Accountability? ....

Comment

Hi Phil,
                    Stewart Evans has kindly posted information which largely clears the matter up-or at least it does to some extent.It still seems strange the Echo stated so emphatically that both doctors were agreed when apparently they differed over several crucial matters, such as time of death, nature of injuries etc.But then we do not have Dr Phillip"s Inquest Report to throw more light on this.
                    Best,
                    Norma

Comment

Hi Norma,

I believe Stewart's point about the inaccuracies in the early press reports about Kelly's murder should be well considered. Since Kelly's murder scene was in a more controlled evironment, the police essentially locked down the place. Until some official information was given later (and not much of that) the press were relying on second hand sources any in many cases rumors in an effort to get a story out.

I have been recently reading about the "Zodiac murders" in California and the police, in one case, deliberately fed false information to the press to see if the killer would respond.

In essence, I think Abberline and Co. had learned some hard lessons by the time of Kelly's murder and adjusted their strategy accordingly in an effort to control info that, in their mind, might impeed the investigation... Hence a likely explaination for their reaction to Hutchinson's story once the press got wind of it.

PS- Archaic, I am most pleased to see you back on board. Missed those little tidbits you were always able to find and you sensible insight. Maybe a little common "horse sense" is necessary. LOL.
                      Last edited by Hunter; 04-03-2010, 08:07 PM.
                      Best Wishes,
                      Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Working...
                      X