Druitt's Suicide Note

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Druitt's Suicide Note

Druitt left a suicide note to his brother, William, with the following words:

"Since Friday I felt that I was going to be like mother, and the best thing for me was to die."

According to all sources I have come across so far, that's what it says. However, the reason I was curious about the suicide note is because when perusing Casebook articles, the background art is sometimes the handwriting of these words, and the word "die" is underlined.

My question, therefore, is this: Is that background art from the actual suicide note? Is that Montague Druitt's handwriting that we can see? In which case this note, or at least a photograph or photocopy, seems to be preserved, and I applaud whatever Casebook researcher got hold of it.

And a follow-up question: how come, try as I might, I am unable to find an image of this note anywhere?

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    Druitt left a suicide note to his brother, William, with the following words:

"Since Friday I felt that I was going to be like mother, and the best thing for me was to die."

According to all sources I have come across so far, that's what it says. However, the reason I was curious about the suicide note is because when perusing Casebook articles, the background art is sometimes the handwriting of these words, and the word "die" is underlined.

My question, therefore, is this: Is that background art from the actual suicide note? Is that Montague Druitt's handwriting that we can see? In which case this note, or at least a photograph or photocopy, seems to be preserved, and I applaud whatever Casebook researcher got hold of it.

And a follow-up question: how come, try as I might, I am unable to find an image of this note anywhere?
    Always seemed to me that his reason for suicide was a bit odd. All the mental instability in his family was on the female side. And in ladies "of a certain age". Was he really worried about turning menopausal?

Cheers
    C4

Comment

William Druitt had no problem letting it be known at the inquest that mother was in the nut house which had a massive social stigma in those days so why did he reveal that unless of course he was trying to use that as the reason Monty topped himself.
      Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

What I find particularly intriguing about the note itself is that he says, "since Friday". How many days between that Friday and the suicide note, I wonder, and what might have happened on Friday that should make think that he was going to "be like mother"? Right as rain on Thursday, and on Friday a downward spiral towards suicide?

Comment

Hi,

Trying to look insde the mind of a suicide (or perhaps anyone else for that matter) is really an impossibility. What happened on that Friday could easily have been what someone else could have looked upon as a trivial issue. But the state of Montegue's mind could have raised it a an impossible height.Which sadly ended his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post

The suicide note has not survived. No paperwork relevant to Druitt's suicide has survived beyond the brief press accounts.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
              The suicide note has not survived. No paperwork relevant to Druitt's suicide has survived beyond the brief press accounts.
              Thank you for that information. I thought it odd that his note would have been deemed worthy of preservation for such a long time. But the background art I spoke of, which shows the words written by hand, are they then simply a re-rendering of the note? The writing style looked authentic enough to this layman's eyes.

Comment

We dont know the precise wording of the alleged suicide note. Reports state only that the note was to the effect of the words quoted.
                David Andersen
                Author of 'BLOOD HARVEST'
                (My Hunt for Jack The Ripper)

Comment

Originally posted by David Andersen View Post
                  We dont know the precise wording of the alleged suicide note. Reports state only that the note was to the effect of the words quoted.
                  correct.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                  X