No announcement yet.

List of Ripper movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I knew about the chapter of Donald Rumbelow's book that had the Ripper in popular culture, but didn't know there was a book devoted to the Ripper on film. Dang, I guess that means there's not a market for one anymore. I'll have to look that one up. Oh well, it sounded like a good idea at the time.
    "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by needler View Post
      I know I'm late to the party, as usual, but has anyone mentioned DEADLY ADVICE yet?? 1993 with Jane Horrocks, Imelda Staunton, Brenda Fricker, Jonathon Pryce, Edward Woodward as a rather far-too-robust Major Armstrong, Billie Whitelaw, Hywel Bennett as Dr Crippen, Jonathon Hyde, and Sir John Mills as the best Ripper I've seen in years. You GOTTA see this one!

Judy
      I have just finished watching this. Very cool! I bought it today for $2! JtR was (supposedly) a hair dresser named Alfred?? Whitall or something like that. Sir John Mills was very sweet. Quite a neat black comedy.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyE View Post
        Hi Doctor X (the man with the cure)

Time After Time was on the list. Check the 1979 entry. I would have had to include it. It's one of my favorite Ripper movies. :-)
        I love Time After Time. I know it's not factually accurate but McDowell is fun as Wells and David Warner scared the mess out of me!

Comment

Hi BillyE,
          there is an extensive filmography in Stéphane Bourgoin's "Le Livre Rouge de Jack l'Eventreur".
          If you're interested I can post it.
          It will be quite a long post, I'm afraid, so I'll do it when I have time, perhaps next week.

Celesta has recently refered to "The Ruling Class" with Peter O'Toole. Check the thread "Cult movies" in the pub talk.
          Seems a must.

Amitiés,
          David
          Last edited by DVV; 04-19-2009, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Here is one that I'm not sure is listed anywhere online or in print. in 1986, on the Wonderful World of Disney, there was a comedy/horror movie Bride of Boogedy. It was a sequel to Mr. Boogedy and featured a wax Jack the Ripper that comes to life towards the end (along with Mr. Hyde and some guy who was a victim of cannibals who were also wax) to attack the main protagonists. Incidentally, this was where I first heard the name Jack the Ripper and he didn't even carry a knife.

Comment

Hello, I was wondering if someone on here can answer this question I had:

I've never seen the 1988 miniseries "Jack the Ripper" with Michael Caine, but I do know that it postulates the Royal/Masonic conspiracy with Sir William Gull, John Netley, and so on. However, on Wikipedia, it says that the Royal Prince fathering an illegitimate child is not Gull's motive for killing the women in that particular miniseries. So, what I wanted to ask anyone on here who has seen the miniseries is: Why does Gull start killing women? Is he insane?

Thank you.
              I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

While it does hold some of the aspects of the Royal/Masonic conspiracy theory the Michael Caine mini-series isn't a true R/M conspiracy story. In it Gull is trying to drive himself mad by killing prostitutes, people he think won't be missed, so the sane, rational, Dr. Gull can understand the murderous insane Gull, and in so doing understand insanity so that it can be cured. A completely far-fetched theory, but it's the one the filmmakers chose. In the end it doesn't matter. Ripper movies seem to end on bad notes. They're either pushing a rediculous theory, or are so anti-climactic you feel cheated for the amount of time you invested in watching the movie. That being said there are a lot of great things about this mini-series, and is my favorite Ripper movie.
                "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

Billy,
                  Thank you so much for the answer. I definitely want to check it out now. Sadly, it isn't available on DVD. I know it's on Youtube but it's difficult to sit and watch a long miniseries in front of the computer. LOL

Anyway, thanks again and it's interesting to see Gull as a killer just because he's a psycho rather than a Royal cover-up.
                  I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Actually, if you look on eBay you should be able to find a copy of the Michael Caine "Jack the Ripper" mini-series on DVD on both Region 1 and Region 2. I have a copy on Region 2, but luckily my computer will play it. :-D Anyway, see if you can find it on there.

Comment

How did I miss this?! I've always known I'm a fan of bad television. One of my favorite shows growing up was the historically awful, "Manimal.". It was so bad it only made it to eight episodes. That was back in 1983. Fast forward fifteen years later, another bad tv show from the same creator, Glen Larson, called NightMan. It not only brought back the Manimal character, but had him traveling through time to catch Jack the Ripper. Instead, he brought the Ripper to modern day 1999 America. I believe it was a back-door pilot for a new Manimal series that never took off. The episode, simply called "Manimal", never got into the issue of who the Ripper was, instead focusing on the new version of Manimal. The episode isn't good. It's pretty terrible. I have no idea how this show made it through two seasons. But I love that it tried to bring back one of my favorite shows, and moderately enjoyed the Ripper aspect.
                      Last edited by BillyE; 01-09-2019, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X