Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If You Could Have a Beer with Anyone in History Who Would It Be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    Son house said he was mediocre at best, disappeared for a couple of weeks and when he came back was the best guitarist in the world.
    I have every know recording of Johnson....and it's good stuff.. but he was FAR from the best...at the same time Django Reinhardt was doing things people still cant do (and with less fingers!!!!).. I have the complete recordings of Django as well....some of it is truly mind blowing.... I know very different styles of music... but just for pure technique.. no contest.....I have been playing since I was 6 years old....I love trying to figure out what people are doing....

Charley Patton, Tommy Johnson, and Eddie Lang I also put above Robert Johnson as pure guitarists, as well as Django.. but just a personal opinion..

Steadmund Brand
    Last edited by Steadmund Brand; 08-24-2017, 06:35 AM.
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
      I have every know recording of Johnson....and it's good stuff.. but he was FAR from the best...at the same time Django Reinhardt was doing things people still cant do (and with less fingers!!!!).. I have the complete recordings of Django as well....some of it is truly mind blowing.... I know very different styles of music... but just for pure technique.. no contest.....I have been playing since I was 6 years old....I love trying to figure out what people are doing....

Charley Patton, Tommy Johnson, and Eddie Lang I also put above Robert Johnson as pure guitarists, as well as Django.. but just a personal opinion..

Steadmund Brand
      Hi Stead
      LOL! I was going to mention Django, because IMHO he was at least as good, if not better than Johnson. both fascinating charactors.

Tying Django in with the favorite movies-one of my favorite Woody Allen movies is Sweet and Low down where Sean Pen plays a jazz guitarist. Hes always bragging "Im the best guitarist in the world....well except for that gypsy guitar player Django Rhinehart" and he fainted when he met him. HAHA. great movie!

Comment

I love that film.....flew a bit under the radar... but maybe just because I am a guitar geek I fell in love with it

Steadmund Brand
        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Do any of you guitar fans know Australias own Tommy Emmanuel, twice voted the World's best Accoustic guitarist by guitar magazine? A really nice bloke to boot,
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
            I was going to mention Django, because IMHO he was at least as good, if not better than Johnson
            Django would have made an economical drinking partner. A finger-measure of spirits would have been much cheaper than usual
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

A friend of mine's cat was named Django... I never counted her toes, though.

Comment

Manitas de Plata
                Bill Nelson
                Jimmy Page
                Jimi Hendrix
                Richie Blackmore
                Mick Taylor
                BB King
                Peter Green
                Gary Moore
                Wally Whyton

Comment

Mick Taylor? Why him? And Bill Nelson is just too eclectic.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    Manitas de Plata
                    Bill Nelson
                    Jimmy Page
                    Jimi Hendrix
                    Richie Blackmore
                    Mick Taylor
                    BB King
                    Peter Green
                    Gary Moore
                    Wally Whyton
                    I'd get Julian Bream to jam with them. Although he became famous as a classical guitarist/lutenist, his roots were in jazz, and Django Reinhardt was a huge inspiration for him.

Julian Bream plays jazz in an after hours jam session at his flat in Bolton Gardens, as a young man. The Gypsy Jazz of Django Reinhardt was the music that Br...

And here's Bream playing one of the loveliest (classical) guitar pieces I know, the Schottische-Chôro by Heitor Villa-Lobos:

Last edited by Sam Flynn; 08-24-2017, 03:04 PM.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                      Do any of you guitar fans know Australias own Tommy Emmanuel, twice voted the World's best Accoustic guitarist by guitar magazine? A really nice bloke to boot,
                      Bit of a coincidence there GUT. I was at a friends flat today. He's a guitarist mainly into the blues. I like the blues but am more toward rock and prog rock. He stuck a dvd on of Tommy Emmanuel playing live. Pretty jaw-dropping stuff. Guitar/percussion combined. I'm not a musician but this guys a seriously good guitarist. I'm sure that he's played at a club that I go to regularly (I may be wrong though) but he's not in the current gig guide which extends to early next year. I'll go and see him if he turns up in future.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

This isn't bad!

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                          Bit of a coincidence there GUT. I was at a friends flat today. He's a guitarist mainly into the blues. I like the blues but am more toward rock and prog rock. He stuck a dvd on of Tommy Emmanuel playing live. Pretty jaw-dropping stuff. Guitar/percussion combined. I'm not a musician but this guys a seriously good guitarist. I'm sure that he's played at a club that I go to regularly (I may be wrong though) but he's not in the current gig guide which extends to early next year. I'll go and see him if he turns up in future.
                          Met him a few times, even before he became famous, but yeah he is the real thing, can't play electric worth much, but a great acoustic guitarist.
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                            Paul Gilbert, Haydn Symphony No 88

Paul Gilbert performing the "Haydn Symphony No. 88" Live at Hale College in Perth, Western Australia on March 3rd, 2007
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                              Mick Taylor? Why him? And Bill Nelson is just too eclectic.
                              BILL NELSON!!!!!! the most underrated guitar player of ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

too bad he took all those years off from playing the guitar... but, hey an artist can do what he likes....glad he is playing again.... heard he is having some health issues.. I wish him well....I wish I could find a way to get in contact with him.... if ANYONE knows of a way.. please message me!!

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                                .I wish I could find a way to get in contact with him.... if ANYONE knows of a way.. please message me!!
                                This might be worth a go ... on Twitter

Bill Nelson@BillNelsonMusic

Comment

Working...
                                X