Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Trevor Marriott 4 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 19 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Trevor Marriott 27 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 39 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 43 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Trevor Marriott 56 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (26 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (22 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (22 posts)
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (13 posts)
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - (3 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Lechmere/Cross, Charles

Old 07-14-2017, 02:15 AM
Inactive

[quote=Fisherman;421880]

Quote:
To YOU it is not convincing.

To those who know legal matters and who are aware how qualified a queens councellor and barrister is when it comes to judging the viability of a court case, Iīm sure itīs a different stroy altogether. They will realize that Scobie knew what he was talking about.
Have you heard about the pilots doing sucessfull surgery on their patients?

Have you heard about the surgeons flying planes all over the world?

Have you heard about the queens councellors and barristers writing history?

Pierre
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:15 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Actually its the axis around which a small hard core of people have argued for a good many years and achieved very little.

steve
You are welcome to that interpretation. I see it very differently. And so do hundreds of people out on the net who are commenting on the theory.

If you close your eyes and ears, it should not bother you, though.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:16 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
In case anyone is confused I misread Fisherman's post, it happens.
I am big enough to admit my mistakes, as always. Hopefully before others point them out to me.

For such I apologize.

So a better last line would have been:

"that certainly does indicate an ability to read and comprehend."

Steve
THERE we go!

As for you always being big enough to admit your mistakes, I simply disagree. I find you admit the ones you cannot possibly deny, but keep the lid tightly on a number of other matters. Plus I think that we may not be best suited ourselves to judge how big we are.

Or small.

Last edited by Fisherman : 07-14-2017 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:20 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
Thanks for your wise words, Patrick. And I'm sure I'll very much enjoy being a happy warrior! I'm also certain that I'll never change Christer's mind, because he's gone too far down the road with his passionate commitment to the Lechmere suspect cause. Unfortunately, as with anyone else who's totally committed to a single suspect, in those circumstances objectivity goes totally out of the window.
If you can lead that on, you stand a fair chance of people thinking that I am a fanatic with no ability to judge matters correctly.

Then again, if they read what the two of us argue, you are toast, John.

If you find the risk worth taking, so be it.

Last edited by Fisherman : 07-14-2017 at 02:35 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:21 AM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
THERE we go!

As for you always being big enough to admit your mistakes, I simply disagree. I fond you admit the ones you cannot possibly deny, but keep the lid tightly on a number of other matters. Plus I think that we may not be best suited ourselves to judge how big we are.

Or small.
The victims of Jack the Ripper were very small.

Pierre
Old 07-14-2017, 02:34 AM
Commisioner

John G: We I'm certainly not a huge fan of Trevor Marriott, or his suspect for that matter. But yes, I would acknowledge that on occasion I've been as guilty as anyone in using inflammatory language, although overwhelmingly in response to similar language used against me, and even of submitting posts which lack objectivity.

Okay, so whilst you sometimes are justifiedly annoyed and cannot hold back an inflammatory comment, it applies that you are nevertheless the better part in the exchanges you participate in on this score. Is that correct?

Although, that said there's nothing wrong with being passionate about the subject. And yes, I'll acknowledge that your an experienced and knowledgeable poster, and some of your posts are undoubtedly of the highest quality.

Thanks for that. And I will willingly concede that I not some, but many times express myself in a way that is not consistent with well-behaved posting. I loose my patience, quite simply, and just like you, I think that this is to a degree justifiable. For example, I have repeatedly over the last few days been subjected to the statement on my behalf that I think doctors infallible. It is a stupid thing to say, and I absolutely loathe it. And so, when the cup is filled and this crap runs over the brim, I find it VERY hard to keep silent about it, especially since I am convinced that some posters say this not because they think this is my actual position but instead for the sheer hell of it.
Thatīs the problem with public boards - you are forced to rub shoulders with people who are not here for reasons of interest and honesty only.
In the end, it is never a good thing to loose your temper. I do it in periods nowadays, it seems, and I would rather not.
But thatīs more to say that I am likely to regret some things in the future too, and less to say that I will never do it again.

That said, I change my mind all the time on the issues, even in respect of arguments I've previously passionately held, such as Stride and Kelly being definite Ripper victims. The problem, however, is that once you commit yourself totally to a particular suspect you effectively box yourself in, even to the point where you end up defending the almost indefensible.

Pick ONE such thing on my behalf, and I will in the coolest and calmest way possible show you why I (probably) disagree. I do not think I have ever defended almost indefensible matters in favour of the theory I subscribe to, so I am genuinely curious about whether you are speaking about me here.
I think you can be very keen on a suspect and stay inquisitive and reasonably unbiased nevertheless. And I think that arguing the opposite is absolutely disastrous, because it would mean that no suspect that cannot be proven as the killer would be one suggested in a respectable fahsion. They would all be doomed to denial, no questions asked.
Maybe the inherent danger about that approach is not obvious to everybody. It should be, though.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:39 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy Goose View Post
The axis of Ripperology is Fisherman and his alt-Greek Chorus who come here every day to post about this?

How can the rest of us ever thank you guys enough.

Paddy
I can think of a thousand ways that would be better than the party I am being treated to as of now, Paddy.

By the way, I said that the Lechmere theory forms a large part of the axis that ripperology has revolved around the last few years, Paddy. I never said that I am the axis.

But it is perfectly in line with how the discussion normally goes.

Last edited by Fisherman : 07-14-2017 at 03:00 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:41 AM
Inactive

[quote=Pierre;421884]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post

Pierre
Have you heard about the historians investigating and solving crimes? Nope me neither.

Maybe that's something a Pretend Historian could do, though. Over to you, Pierre.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:54 AM
Inactive

[quote=Henry Flower;421891]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

Have you heard about the historians investigating and solving crimes? Nope me neither.

Maybe that's something a Pretend Historian could do, though. Over to you, Pierre.
Did you see what I wrote, Henry?
Old 07-14-2017, 02:56 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

Pierre
Actually

Yes
Yes
And
Yes.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.