Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is There More To Bond's Death Than Meets The Eye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was debate over weather Bond wrote his report on Kelly, some believe it was Hibbert who wrote it. If that's the case then why didn't Bond? Did he dictate to Hibbert? Or was Hibbert the one who actually made the observations and wrote the report?

It is really frustrating that we don't have Baxter's reports, perhaps there is something in there that contradicts 'Bond's' report, after all it wouldn't have been the first time.
    Why was Kelly's inquest closed earlier than it should have been? I'm sure that until all the evidence and findings have been presented they don't shut the case. So why shut it so early?

Comment

In January 1889 Anderson wrote to Monro rather acidly remarking that, in the Rose Mylett (Poplar) case Hibbert had 'unfortunately' in the absence of Bond, taken it upon himself to open a letter from himself to Dr Bond, and had then travelled by himself to do a PM on Rose, without his (Anderson's) knowledge.

(From the Jack the Ripper Sourcebook.)

Although he brushed it off by stating that the next day Bond had verified his assistant's notes, it does make you wonder whether Hibbert was one of the sort of people who take over in trying to be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
        In January 1889 Anderson wrote to Monro rather acidly remarking that, in the Rose Mylett (Poplar) case Hibbert had 'unfortunately' in the absence of Bond, taken it upon himself to open a letter from himself to Dr Bond, and had then travelled by himself to do a PM on Rose, without his (Anderson's) knowledge.

(From the Jack the Ripper Sourcebook.)

Although he brushed it off by stating that the next day Bond had verified his assistant's notes, it does make you wonder whether Hibbert was one of the sort of people who take over in trying to be helpful.
        Helpful, I'm not so sure TBH.

I found this, not sure if it's this is in regards to Bond's assistant but I have an inkling it is:

Echo
        London, U.K.
        18 October 1888
        SPIRITS FOR PAUPERS
        WORKHOUSE MASTERS CENSURED

The Local Government Board and the Holborn Board of Guardians have had a slight quarrel. It arose through the inquiry made by the former Board into the abnormal consumption of wines and spirits at the City-road Workhouse, and the retention of the master of the House. The Local Government Board think the Master should not resign; the Guardians think he should. Not satisfied with the official inquiry they instituted one themselves. A report upon this latter inquiry was submitted at last night's meeting. It stated that during the twelve months ended at Michaelmas thirty-three gallons of gin alone were charged for in the Medical relief Book, which had never been ordered by the doctor or supplied to pauper patients. The Master and the Assistant Master were able to explain fictitious entries in the Medical Relief Book, which was said to have been kept by two inmates, one of whom died nine months ago. "The inaccuracies in the Medical Book," they said, "appeared to have been of so grave a nature and so systematically made that they felt no confidence in the persons responsible for the management of the Workhouse, as beyond a systematic fraud and been committed." Hence they recommended the Guardians to call upon Mr. Daniells and Mr. Hibbert to resign. The recommendation was adopted by ten votes to nine, the figures being challenged by some members.

I wonder what other things he has done, may be well worth looking into.

Comment

Very interesting, Natasha. I wonder where he is in the 1891 Census and the ones following?

Comment

Very interesting, Natasha. I wonder where he is in the 1891 Census and the ones following?
            I had a quick look on ancestry, but couldn't find anything I can link to this Hibbert for sure. Only that there is a Charles Alfred Hibbert born in Pancras, London in 1841. There seems to be no census records for him.

Perhaps someone else can help us here.

Comment

Hi all

If you want to know about Hibbert/Hebbert, Debs is the one to ask (Debra A on this site).

Comment

Hebbert in 1918?

Comment

Oh, yes! Mr Hibbert looks a bit apprehensive!

Could you please point us in some useful directions, Debra? I don't know why I didn't think of you in the first place! (Did Hibbert leave Britain at any time? There seem to be many, many Hibberts in Australia, Canada and the US.)

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post

Hebbert in 1918?
                    Hi Debra,

In the photo of Hibbert/Hebbert (?) you put out, I notice he is wearing a suit, tie, and vest, but there is some kind of wire cord around this throat which looks like part of some earphone type device (like what we'd find on an old transistor radio). It's not plugged into his ears, and the photo is from about 1918, so it has nothing to do with transistor radios. Do you have any idea what it is?

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                      Hi Debra,

In the photo of Hibbert/Hebbert (?) you put out, I notice he is wearing a suit, tie, and vest, but there is some kind of wire cord around this throat which looks like part of some earphone type device (like what we'd find on an old transistor radio). It's not plugged into his ears, and the photo is from about 1918, so it has nothing to do with transistor radios. Do you have any idea what it is?

Jeff
                      I thought it was an eyeglasses lanyard.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Maybe even a monocle.
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Oh, yes! Mr Hibbert looks a bit apprehensive!

Could you please point us in some useful directions, Debra? I don't know why I didn't think of you in the first place! (Did Hibbert leave Britain at any time? There seem to be many, many Hibberts in Australia, Canada and the US.)
                          Yes, Rosella. He went to the US before 1899 (British Medical Registers for 1899 give a c/o address in Boston IIRC) he then went on to Canada where he married his second wife.
                          I posted some details from that marriage certificate on the boards a few years back with a sample of his signature to compare to Dr Bond's notes. It looked very much to me like Hebbert wrote Bond's notes, as concluded by S G Ryan in his articles about Mary Kelly's heart. This would have been standard practice as Hebbert was Dr Bond's assistant and would have taken notes while Bond worked.

Hebbert spent some time as a ships' doctor according to the A to Z before ending up in Australia where he died in 1926. The photograph I posted comes from Merchant Seamans' Records and was in Hebbert's record for 1918. He was described as a Brit surgeon b June 1862. His birthdate was correct in day and month but he'd obviously shaved 5 years off his age-which tallies with later records in Australia I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                            Hi Debra,

Jeff
                            Hi Jeff
                            I think GUT is probably correct-it does look like a spectacle or monacle lanyard. I did wonder at first if it was a hearing aid. One of the early box types that hung around the neck.
                            The correct spelling of his name is Hebbert but the name is so often mis-spelled that one has to be creative when looking for records!

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                              Hi Jeff
                              I think GUT is probably correct-it does look like a spectacle or monacle lanyard. I did wonder at first if it was a hearing aid. One of the early box types that hung around the neck.
                              The correct spelling of his name is Hebbert but the name is so often mis-spelled that one has to be creative when looking for records!
                              I did think of hearing aid, but would not expect it to go around his neck, it looks like it is goes right around.
                              G U T

Comment

Thank you so, so much, Debra.

So he did go off overseas before the next census and I was looking in the A-Z under Hibbert! How stupid! It seems Dr Hebbert was a demonstrator of anatomy at the Westminster Hospital in 1889 and in private practice in Nottingham in 1892. A professor in Montreal, very swank! He didn't marry apparently, and died in Melbourne. A small world!

Comment

Working...
                                X