Rippercast Primer Podcast - Police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul

The french Policing methods were referred to, even Vidcoq was liaised with by Peel during the early days of the Met.

A Police School was set up and based at Wellington barracks before moving on to Peel House and then Hendon which covered all aspects of police work.

Thanks for the kind words Jon and Dave. I must confess, I've not listened to it yet.

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
      I posted this on another thread, but I'd like to repeat that I loved this episode. Neil and Neil and Ally did a great job. I've always wanted to listen to a Jack the Ripper podcast and Ally has come to the rescue.

Thanks to all involved.

JM

Thanks for that Jon, it means a lot coming from you. I don't think anyone can fully appreciate the amount of work you've done producing 50+ episodes.

Originally posted by Cogidubnus
      I particularly enjoyed the bit where Neil was going to enjoy a pull on his Golden Virginia too!

All the best

Dave
      That may well be the tagline to every podcast I ever do, for all eternity, whether Neil is on it or not.

Let all Oz be agreed;
      I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Grand Work

Very interesting, well done to all, many thanks.

Comment

Thanks to all involved. It was interesting.
          These are not clues, Fred.
          It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
          They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
          And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
          We will not.

Comment

Photographs of Criminals

At the time of the Whitechapel murders Scotland Yard had a collection of more than 38,000 photographs of criminals taken at the time of their discharge. These photographs dated back to 1862. They were contained in properly classified albums containing 6,000 photographs in each. There were also smaller albums, containing 500 portraits ('mug-shots') in each, for speedy reference and containing the particulars of each case and physical peculiarities and marks of the criminals. In these photographs the criminals were in ordinary dress and shown with the hands up to reveal if any fingers were missing (a common injury in the Victorian industrial age).
            SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
              At the time of the Whitechapel murders Scotland Yard had a collection of more than 38,000 photographs of criminals taken at the time of their discharge. These photographs dated back to 1862. They were contained in properly classified albums containing 6,000 photographs in each. There were also smaller albums, containing 500 portraits ('mug-shots') in each, for speedy reference and containing the particulars of each case and physical peculiarities and marks of the criminals. In these photographs the criminals were in ordinary dress and shown with the hands up to reveal if any fingers were missing (a common injury in the Victorian industrial age).
              Hello Stewart,

Thank you for this information which I found most interesting.

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

Note to self...move your microphone back.

Apologies.

Monty
                Monty

Comment

For what Neil? I noticed nothing amiss and it was a very informative and interesting podcast

All the best

Dave

Comment

really enjoyed it!
                    “be just and fear not”

Comment

Thank you.

Honestly speaking, it was great to kick back and listen to Mr S.

Monty
                      Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                        Note to self...move your microphone back.

Apologies.

Monty
                        LOL.. I did manage to remove half or so! What's left is the ones I couldn't remove without making Neil sound like Mr. Roboto or clipping his words as well. One of these days, I'll be tech adept, I swear. I am currently reading tutorials on multi-track recording in group Skype calls, so hopefully it won't be an issue any more. (but I wouldn't hold your breath counting on that ... I swear it's more complicated than rocket science. And I've only found one person who claims its possible. )
                        Last edited by Ally; 08-03-2013, 12:27 PM.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                        I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

After recording the show, I use an app called Levelator to even out all of the voices.

JM

Comment

An excellent podcast, Ally, and it has become one of my favorites. Wish it had gone a lot longer!

One thing that I do wish had been included is a rundown on the personalities and the command structure at the time- as it stands, a bunch of names (Watson, Anderson, Munroe, etc) are thrown out without information on how they actually relate to the case. I also wish there had been more on the history of the London police force, and how the City and Metro Police were set up and how they related to one another. Another thing I would have liked to have been included would have been information about forensic abilities at the time, and the process of how bodies were handled and indentified. The legal processes would have been interesting, also- rules of evidence, how juries were handled.

[I now, that all this extra information would have extended the podcast another hour or more, but that's what I wanted!]

Comment

Working...
                            X