No announcement yet.

Through the keyhole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I transcribed the first half to make it easier to read and search. I'm posting that here in hope it might be helpful to someone else. I don't warrant the accuracy of this, but I don't think I'm far off.

(Post #1 - Cover)
    Case of W.H. Bury
    Inventory of articles found in accused's house
    Prince's St. Dundee

(post #2 - Page 1)
    List of articles [as?] found in the house at 113 Princes Street occupied by William Henry Bury.

There was no grate in the fire place - the ribs of an old grate lying flat on some pieces of brick served to hold the coals burned in the fire place. There was a small rusty fender, a poker, a coal shovel, a kettle, a stew pot, and a wooden box sitting at the fire side. There was a variety of ashes in the fire place. Amongst them were - a number of buttons, hooks and eyes, the steels from a pair of stays, and sundry articles (produced [illegible] box)

The following articles were on the mantel piece: - An empty quart bottle "Edinburgh Ale" on label: four China figure ornaments named "The Wedding Night", "The Last to Bed Puts Out the Light", "When a Man's Married His Troubles Begin", and "Returning at One O'Clock in the Morning": a small piece of bottle

(Post #3 - Page 2)
    bottle: a pocket knife, two blades & white handle: two watch keys: photo of [illegible] and [illegible] in mourning: and a small tin box - empty.

In a wall press at side of fire were - two empty quart bottles, one broken: a tumbler containing dregs of beer: a gill bottle containing dregs of whiskey: two empty pepper boxes: two empty salt dishes: three tables knives: three forks: a dinner spoon: a dessert spoon: two teas poons: two salt spoons: a copper coffee pot: four plates: a bowl: 7 old brushes: and a [illegible] box containing some dominoes.

The following articles were found on top of the box which contained the body [illegible]:- three table covers: five [illegible]: a slip body: a muslin shirt: a pair of woman's drawers: a [illegible]: a mantel piece border: a small tidy and an apron:

The box in which the body was found contained the following things [illegible]:- A dirty shirt, which when removed allow the lower portion of the right

(Post #4 Page 3)
    leg to be seen: the body was securely packed with the after [mentioned?] articles [illegible]: A Bible fly leaves torn out, black cover, with "British and Foreign Bible Society": a small Testament same as Bible: an English Church Common Prayer Book (E. H. Peters on front page): a smaller prayer book: a children's Hymn Book: a book entitled "Child of Jesus" (To Dear Agnes with best love from Vicky, Agnes Davis with best love from Vicky) written on front page in ink and pencil: A hymn book doug's and [illegible]'s: a small copy of Johnston's Dictionary: (Emma Pratt and Arnold [illegible] on it): a book entitled "Orthographical [illegible]" (William Peters 1863): a novel "The Earl's Daughter": another - "Gone": a book entitled "Aunt Phillis' Cabin": (J.M. Smith, [Rumbury?] House, and [illegible] [illegible] written on it): a book entitled "Charcombe Wells - a Tale of Country Life" nearly new: a book entitled "[illegible]'s Travels" Harriet Elliott - a gift by [illegible] Clark - Aug 11th 1867 written on it: an old book without covers "[illegible]
    - Ginger

Comment

Trinkets and Trophies

Well I definitely read somewhere it was a blood stained knife, but no mention of a clasp knife.......I will need to investigate this, (or perhaps a member can clarify) as I can't access my info during the renovations?

Anyone have any ideas on why a prostitute needs baby clothes?

Yes, I was wondering about the farthings case also.

Why was a blood-stained belt kept..... as though it was normal? I can't help but believe the 'trinkets' (rings) are 'trophies' ....but what does the belt represent?

Originally posted by Boggles View Post
      I thought you would be the one to notice this. Good question, no idea. A lot of things were second hand (see the books).

No Corum found a long bladed knife, not a clasp knife. There is some talk of it during the inquests. Horse fell down - knife appeared. Route back to Bow.
      Knife was very sharp but blunted. DR Phillips states it could have been the murder weapon but not the one he would have used.

So it is not the same knife that (for instance) Corney States in the trial notes that Bury slept with under his pillow. Clasp knife = pen knife - i see two of these in his house.

Good shout Nemo was wondering who was the first to notice this. Inferior metal (possibly bronze?) Locked up with the blood stained items. Cant say they were Chapmans of course but you know...

Tell me more please

Comment

Hi Boggles

Sir Henry Smith stated the following in his memoirs...

After the second crime I sent word to Sir Charles Warren that I had discovered a man very likely to be the man wanted. He certainly had all the qualifications requisite. He had been a medical student ; he had been in a lunatic asylum ; he spent all his time with women of loose character, whom he bilked by giving them polished farthings instead of sovereigns, two of these farthings having been found in the pocket of the murdered woman. Sir Charles failed to find him. I thought he was likely to be in Rupert Street, Haymarket. I sent up two men, and there he was ; but, polished farthings and all, he proved an alibi without the shadow of doubt.

IIRC there were other mentions of the polished farthing ruse which was supposed to be the method by which the Ripper enticed his victims into the murder location

Obviously a sovereign would not be necessary for any of the victims though it was fair comment on the farthings mentioned in the Chapman case because it appears one or two were considered to have been polished

It is interesting that Smith considers the polished farthing ruse to be one specific to medical students interacting with prostitutes

A West End phenomenon no doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Mrsperfect View Post
          Anyone have any ideas on why a prostitute needs baby clothes?
          Mrsperfect, William Beadle writes that the baby items "were the keepsakes of her dead child" (2009, page 253).
          “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

William Bury, Victorian Murderer
          http://www.williambury.org

Comment

Thanks Ginger, one of these i can help with.

photo of [illegible] and [illegible] in mourning

Aged female

A lot of it is illegible even from the photocopy i have. If anyone wants to look at anything closer let me know and i can do a close up.

Comment

More trinkets

Inventory of items found on Bury when he was arrested.

Also i attach some more details of bloodstained items found in his house. These were Belt and Handkerchief I mentioned earlier. As these were included as exhibits for the trial more information may be found out about them in the trial notes, which Mrsperfect has uploaded in her thread on the life of william bury
              Attached Files

Comment

Just some background info to above padlocked case and Bury sporting rings.

I got this from here:
                http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=1077&page=5
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Wyatt

I had forgotten that!

Regards

Eileen

Originally posted by Wyatt Earp View Post
                  Mrsperfect, William Beadle writes that the baby items "were the keepsakes of her dead child" (2009, page 253).

Comment

Inventory

Hi all...as good as I can get it, a transcription of the inventory - there are a couple of illegibilities and an area of doubt (all marked) - I've checked out the book titles wherever possible and these are all the ones available in thev LVP...hope it's helpful as a reference

List of articles &c found in the house at 113 Princes St occupied by William Henry Bury.
                    There was no grate in the fire place - the ribs of an old grate lying flat on some pieces of bricks served to hold the coals burned in the fire place. There was a small rusty fender, a poker, a coal shovel, a kettle, a stew pot and a wooden box sitting at the fire side. There was a variety of ashes in the fire place amongst them were - a number of buttons, hooks & eyes, the steels of a pair of stays, and sundry articles (produced in cigar box).
                    The following articles were on the mantel piece: - An empty quart bottle "Edinburgh Ale" on label: four China figure ornaments named "The Wedding Night", "The Last to Bed Puts Out the Light", "When a man's married his troubles begin", and "Returning at one o'clock in the morning": a small scent bottle

(pagebreak)

bottle: a pocket knife, two blades & white handle: two watch keys: photo of an aged female in mournings: and a small tin box - empty.

In a wall press at side of fire were - two empty quart bottles, one broken: a tumbler containing dregs of beer: a gill bottle containing dregs of whiskey: two empty pepper boxes: two empty salt dishes: three table knives: three forks: a dinner spoon: a desert spoon: two teaspoons: two salt spoons: a copper coffee pot: four plates: a bowl: 7 old brushes: and a cigar box containing some dominoes.

The following articles were found on top of the box which contained the body viz :- three table covers: five tidies: a slip body: a muslin skirt: a pair of woman's drawers: a curtain: a mantel piece border: a small tidy and an apron:

The box in which the body was found contained the following things viz :- A dirty sheet, which when removed allowed the lower portion of the right

(pagebreak)

leg to be seen: the body was securely packed with the after mentioned articles viz : A Bible fly leaves torn out, black covers, with "British and Foreign Bible Society": a small Testament same as Bible: an English Church Common Prayer Book (E. H. Peters on front page): a smaller prayer book: a children's Hymn Book: a book entitled "Child of Jesus" (To Dear Agnes with best love from Vicky, Agnes Davis with best love from Vicky) written on front page in ink and pencil: A hymn book “Songs and Solos”: a small copy of Johnston's Dictionary: (Emma Pratt 9 Arnold Road Bow E on it): a book entitled "Orthographical Exercises" (“William Peters 1863”): a novel "The Earl's Daughter": another - "Gone": a book entitled "Aunt Phillis's Cabin": (J.M. Smith, Rumbury House, and Mrs Martin written on it): a book entitled "Charcombe Wells - a Tale of Country Life" nearly new: a book entitled "Belzoni's Travels" Harriet Elliott - a gift by Mrs Clark - Aug 11th 1867 written on it: an old book without covers " Chapter 1

(pagebreak)

1 “Robin’s Home”: an old Dictionary: a Bible (“British and Foreign Bible Society Centenary of Sunday Schools 1880” printed on cover in gold) a book entitled “The Heiress against her will”: “Natural History” (To Miss Laura Ann Winser (?) from her friends the Rev Albert Badger and Miss Badger 21st August 1863 written in it) a novel “The Leaguer of Lathom”: “Church Hymns with Tunes”: a small Common Prayer Book: a novel “The Constable of France”: “First Book of Arithmetic”: a hymn book without covers: a novel “A Loaf for Life”: a small Litany “ [illegible] Ellen Elliott a gift from her brother George 1868”): “Views of Southend on Sea”: a small atlas: a novel “The Dead Heart”: a novel “Red Coats and Borderers”: a copy of “The Dundee Advertiser” for February 1st 1889: some periodicals such as Tit-Bits, Ally Sloper’s Half Holiday: &c: 3 umbrellas 2 lady’s and a gents’: the ribs of five umbrellas: a pair of lady’s cloth shoes: a pair of gent’s chamois leather slippers: a woman’s ulster (produced) an

(pagebreak)

an old black skirt: six pairs of stockings: a bundle of baby’s stockings: two pairs of baby’s shoes: 8 baby’s dresses: and a quantity of baby’s underclothing all worn but clean.
                    Lying in the bottom of the box under the body was:-
                    A black skirt and an old torn petticoat.
                    Lying in a bundle on the floor as if taken out of the box to make room for the body were:-
                    Five shirts, 2 linen sheets, two white table covers (one has W.P.4 on a corner), 9 tidies; a worsted shawl: a towel: two white curtains and a red one: an old linen sheet: 2 pairs of woman’s drawers: 2 chemises: 2 white petticoats: a slip body: 3 pillow slips: a piece of window blind: a window screen: a pair of linen cuffs: and some white rags:
                    Lying on window sill:-
                    A bag containing 68 farthings: a bag with 2 cups, a saucer, a sugar bowl and 2 scent bottles: 2 hair brushes: a comb: a table knife; and a pen knife.

(pagebreak)

In an open portmanteau at foot of bed:-
                    A red plush dress: a man’s grey jacket suit (well worn) and a pair of brown socks.
                    Lying on floor at foot of bed:-
                    A Basin: a bowl: two window blinds, and two pairs of mens boots:
                    In large padlocked box:-
                    5 Gent’s ties: a leather belt: a quantity of rags: 5 petticoats: a pair of black kid gloves: a cape: 7 women’s jackets (belonging to dresses): a piece of silk: 4 skirts: a man’s coat: a vest: a pair of grey tweed trousers: a red plush jacket (to match dress in portmanteau): a cravat: a hood: a muff: a silk sash: a pair of womens drawers: a skirt: a tidy: a fur boa: 5 women’s hats: 2 old felt hats: a tile hat: an album: small pair of scissors: 3 pairs of boots: two necklets: 4 Alberts: a sovereign holder: 2 finger rings: pair of sleeve links: some studs: A thimble and two watch keys (These articles of jewelry are of very inferior metal)

(pagebreak)

In the bed:-
                    A black Cashmere, fur lined cloak: A long black cloth jacket: an old [illegible] velvet jacket: a woolen plaid: 3 bed covers: A pair of English blankets: a sheet: 2 pillows and a bolster: a flock mattress and two straw mattresses.
                    All the best

Dave

Comment

So it is not the same knife that (for instance) Corney States in the trial notes that Bury slept with under his pillow. Clasp knife = pen knife - i see two of these in his house.
                      Hmmm...

The LVP seems to be a period of transition as far as descriptions of clasp knives, pen knives etc are concerned...so which knife is described as what may differ by witness...

Traditionally a pen knife was just what it says...a knife for sharpening a pen...as such it had a very small but very sharp triangular blade used for trimming up quill pens...you'd be hard pushed to inflict big-time serious injuries with it...but we're just into the age where the phrase is also beginning to be used for small general purpose pocket clasp knives...

Clasp Knife - Traditionally the larger bulky folding blade knives...but in this period where do you draw the line between the smaller of the species and pen knives as we know them today?

But either way, the knife found following the Stride murder is nether of these...because of the size and shape of the blade it's fairly evidently more of a (non-folding) dagger...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

Thanks, the point I was trying to make (on the small chance you missed it) is as per the tabram murder 2 differnet knife/ blades were used by the killer. A small pointy one penkife/clasp knife/pocket knife and a larger one.

We have qualified evidence that Bury appears to have had some attachment to a Pocket knife/clasp knife of some nature. It dosent rule out that a larger knife was used to mutilate his wife.

from the ada wilson attack (during which incidently bury lived only a couple of streets away and was on the eve of his marriage)

She refused to give the money, and the man at once drew from his pocket a clasp-knife, with which he stabbed her twice in the throat
                        Attached the section regarding the pocket knife / pillow. I am aware many people have weapons to hand in case of burglery, but it must have been something of note for Corney to mention it.
                        Attached Files

Comment

as good as I can get it, a transcription of the inventory
                          Good effort!

what is a tile hat and an albulm?
                          2 old felt hats: a tile hat: an album:

Comment

Hi Boggles

"Tile Hat" is an 18th/19th Century Scottish vernacular term for a stiff or tall hat...it may well date earlier because there is an American usage of similar vintage referring to a tall silk hat (presumably similar to a topper or stovepipe) which is probably an export...

"Album" in this case presumably a scrapbook in which photos, newspaper clippings, stamps or family mementoes etc were mounted...unless of course Bury wrote the Maybrick journal...now that'd be a theory and a half!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Hi Will

Attached the section regarding the pocket knife / pillow. I am aware many people have weapons to hand in case of burglery, but it must have been something of note for Corney to mention it.
                              I'd guess at a reasonably sized clasp knife then, else why would it seem threatening...pity the inventory isn't more precise on this score...any guesses at the missing bits incidentally?

All the best

Dave

Comment

any guesses at the missing bits incidentally?
                                I think the velvet coat on the bed is something-lined but im not sure.
                                Anyway you clearly have a sharp eye Dave so i will be uploading something soon in a couple of days which i cant make head nor tail of and much appreciate any input you can give. I dont think there will be any good clues but then i dont know for sure because i cant read it!

CHeers Boggles

Comment

Working...
                                X