Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Bridewell 48 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Bridewell 1 hour and 15 minutes ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by c.d. 2 hours ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by c.d. 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (31 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (6 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - (5 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (5 posts)
General Discussion: Do you think it will be solved? - (3 posts)
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Doctors and Coroners

Old 03-09-2015, 08:05 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosella View Post
Very interesting, Natasha. I wonder where he is in the 1891 Census and the ones following?
I forgot to mention Hebbert was in Nottingham by April 1891. They're down as 'Hobbert'!

I am not DJA. He's called Dave.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:41 AM
Casebook Supporter

At this rate he'll be The Hobbit.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:34 AM
Chief Inspector

Insomnia is a one way street to hallucinations. It isn't a case of he might get it. It's when. Plenty of examples of people suffering from hallucinations killing themselves accidentally by jumping off something high. People who have survived claim they just felt invincible at the time, not that they wanted to hurt themselves.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:44 AM
Commisioner

Hallo,

I realize that this may seem like a crazy idea to many, but has Dr Bond ever been considered as a suspect? Or if not directly involved as someone who could have been part of a wider conspiracy? Clearly he had medical knowledge and his opinions, that none of the 1888 murders demonstrated even a basic level of anatomical knowledge, seemed to be at variance with just about every other medical professional, i.e. Dr Phillips. Wasn't he also involved with the Thames Torso murders investigation? I mention that because it has recently been argued, on a another thread, that there is a possible link with the Torso and JtR murders.

And, of course, he committed suicide. I realize there is a simple explanation for this, but it obviously isn't unheard of for serial killers to ultimately take their own lives.

I also realize, of course, that he was a respected medical man, but I don't see why anyone should be ruled out just on that basis: Harold Shipman was also a highly respected medical professional at one time, as presumably was Dr Neill Cream. And, considering the number of suspects who have come under suspicion, why should medical professionals be given less consideration than, say, artists, businessmen, royals, or barristers?

I'm not suggesting that there is anything like significant evidence against him, but of course that applies to most suspects! I'm merely interested whether he has previously been considered or whether anyone considers him to be remotely credible as a suspect.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:49 AM
Commisioner

Oops!

Edit of duplicated post!

Last edited by John G : 03-14-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:07 PM
Commisioner

According to a newspaper report the suicide was a sudden act.

"Shortly before seven the next morning (June 6), the nurse attending the doctor left the apartment for a moment. No sooner was the attendant's back turned, than the doctor got out of bed, and, wearing only his night clothing, threw himself out of the window. He fell a distance of fifty feet, alighting upon his head in the area. It is thought that when help first arrived the unfortunate gentleman was not dead, but he died on the way to Westminster Hospital"
Penny Illustrated Paper, 15 June, 1901.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:26 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
Hallo,

I realize that this may seem like a crazy idea to many, but has Dr Bond ever been considered as a suspect? Or if not directly involved as someone who could have been part of a wider conspiracy? Clearly he had medical knowledge and his opinions, that none of the 1888 murders demonstrated even a basic level of anatomical knowledge, seemed to be at variance with just about every other medical professional, i.e. Dr Phillips. Wasn't he also involved with the Thames Torso murders investigation? I mention that because it has recently been argued, on a another thread, that there is a possible link with the Torso and JtR murders.

And, of course, he committed suicide. I realize there is a simple explanation for this, but it obviously isn't unheard of for serial killers to ultimately take their own lives.

I also realize, of course, that he was a respected medical man, but I don't see why anyone should be ruled out just on that basis: Harold Shipman was also a highly respected medical professional at one time, as presumably was Dr Neill Cream. And, considering the number of suspects who have come under suspicion, why should medical professionals be given less consideration than, say, artists, businessmen, royals, or barristers?

I'm not suggesting that there is anything like significant evidence against him, but of course that applies to most suspects! I'm merely interested whether he has previously been considered or whether anyone considers him to be remotely credible as a suspect.
It's definitely possible someone that someone connected to mortuary or medical examiner was involved but it doesn't seem like there's much to indicate such. The anatomical knowledge yes but ripper & torso both showed an ability to sneak in and out of places unseen like the whitehall vault and pinchin arch and hanbury so it's more likely someone with skills as a burglar which I don't see a medical examiner like bond having.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:15 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
Insomnia is a one way street to hallucinations. It isn't a case of he might get it. It's when. Plenty of examples of people suffering from hallucinations killing themselves accidentally by jumping off something high. People who have survived claim they just felt invincible at the time, not that they wanted to hurt themselves.

I wonder how he coped with possible hallucinations after having to examine the murdered victims.

If they were severe enough, could they instruct him to commit crimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
Hallo,

I was thinking when I started this thread that perhaps Bond Knew something important in the ripper case and was silenced, and that there was something suspicious about Hebbert. But it would be interesting to investigate Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
According to a newspaper report the suicide was a sudden act.

"Shortly before seven the next morning (June 6), the nurse attending the doctor left the apartment for a moment. No sooner was the attendant's back turned, than the doctor got out of bed, and, wearing only his night clothing, threw himself out of the window. He fell a distance of fifty feet, alighting upon his head in the area. It is thought that when help first arrived the unfortunate gentleman was not dead, but he died on the way to Westminster Hospital"
Penny Illustrated Paper, 15 June, 1901.
Thanks for this article.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:10 AM
Chief Inspector

I agree with surgeon and ripperologist Nick Warren that because of the definite medical knowledge in the Torso case, Bond was expecting something similar like full amputation and full decapitation but only saw partial attempts.

However since JtR wasn't moving his victims, there was no need to chop them into discreet packages. Bonds powers of observation are not so good given we have the photographs to compare his words with. She was wearing a chemise. He said naked for example.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:22 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
I agree with surgeon and ripperologist Nick Warren that because of the definite medical knowledge in the Torso case, Bond was expecting something similar like full amputation and full decapitation but only saw partial attempts.

However since JtR wasn't moving his victims, there was no need to chop them into discreet packages. Bonds powers of observation are not so good given we have the photographs to compare his words with. She was wearing a chemise. He said naked for example.
Hi Batman,

I personally think that all of Dr Bond's opinions should be treated with some caution. Although the police seemed to have confidence in him he was the only one of five surgeons who believed Rose Myletts death was accidental, the others concluding she'd been murdered. The coroner, Wynne Baxter was pretty scathing, and dismissive of Bond's evidence