Who Else Lived At No.27?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Else Lived At No.27?

There seems to be quite a detailed record of who lived at 29, Hanbury Street, numbering about seventeen in total, some of whom testified at the Chapman inquest. Is there a record still in existence of who, Cadosch apart, lived at No.27? Both the 1881 & 1891 census are too far apart to be meaningful, but I'm sure details of who lived at both properties would have been taken as a matter of course. I'm pretty sure Cadosch's father & step-mother also lived there, because Paul Cadosch had been in poor health for some years and actually died there in the last quarter of 1890. Can anyone fill in the gaps on this?
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

... and No. 31?

I've been wondering about possible witnesses in the neighbouring houses who did not get invited to the inquest or interviewed by the press.

Especially 27 was pretty close to the crime scene. Think of the people cashing in pennies from the sight-seers.

Comment

who, Cadosch apart, lived at No.27?
      This is something that interests me a great deal..

Do we even know in which rooms (I mean on which floor) Cadosch lived ? No bearing on anything of course..but it's nice to get a good picture of the circumstances surrounding Cadosch.
      http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
        There seems to be quite a detailed record of who lived at 29, Hanbury Street, numbering about seventeen in total, some of whom testified at the Chapman inquest. Is there a record still in existence of who, Cadosch apart, lived at No.27? Both the 1881 & 1891 census are too far apart to be meaningful, but I'm sure details of who lived at both properties would have been taken as a matter of course. I'm pretty sure Cadosch's father & step-mother also lived there, because Paul Cadosch had been in poor health for some years and actually died there in the last quarter of 1890. Can anyone fill in the gaps on this?
        I was just reading a paragraph in Jack the ripper and black magic, by Spiro Dimolianis, took a break and read this. I can't say if this happened at 29, but it did happen somewhere on Hanbury Street to someone living evidently close by.

"Suicides in Whitechapel"

"Information was conveyed to the coroner for North-East Middlesex to-day that a weaver named Joseph Sodeaux, living in Hanbury Street, Spitalfields, had hanged himself. He had been very despondent since the suicide of his wife, who had hanged herself in the same way. The revolting murders and mutilations in the neighborhood preyed on her mind, and she was afraid to go out, and when the woman Chapman was murdered a few doors away Mrs. Sodeaux took her own life".

The notation at the end of this says the information came from the Belfast News-Letter, January 8, 1889.

Comment

Sodeaux:

General discussion about anything Ripper related that does not fall into a specific sub-category. On topic-Ripper related posts only.

Comment

I wonder that no one thought to accuse this man of being JTR. After all, his wife could've killed herself because her husband was JTR. Would a person really kill themselves because they became afraid to go out of the apartment because there was a killer in the area?

He might've been discovered for who he was by his wife, who couldn't face it, and then after her own demise he couldn't go on, because someone knew who he really was...or something like that.

Yet, no one thought of this, yet Druitt jumps in the Thames and he's 'it'.

Makes me wonder what investigative notes are lost to time. Was this person considered and ruled out. Was there more to Druitt that meets the present reader?

Comment

Mrs Sodeaux was depressed before the death of Annie, that just made it worst. Not wanting to go out is a symptom not a cause.Seriously depressed people commit suicide all the time, its an illness.
              Some people even kill their children while depressed, been a few cases in the papers recently.
              Several factors could have caused Joseph's death apart from his wife's suicide including the decline of the Spitalfields silk industry which was moribund in the 1880s. He could have been in severe financial difficulty.

Miss Marple

Comment

To go back to the original request at the head of this thread, the nearest I have been able to find timewise is the electoral roll for 1890.
                The section includes both 29 and 27 hanbury Street. I stress that this is from the Electoral Roll and so does not list all residents but only those registered to vote.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                  Mrs Sodeaux was depressed before the death of Annie, that just made it worst. Not wanting to go out is a symptom not a cause.Seriously depressed people commit suicide all the time, its an illness.
                  Some people even kill their children while depressed, been a few cases in the papers recently.
                  Several factors could have caused Joseph's death apart from his wife's suicide including the decline of the Spitalfields silk industry which was moribund in the 1880s. He could have been in severe financial difficulty.

Miss Marple
                  It's not like I don't know depression is real. With all the coverage of depression these days you'd have to live under a rock not to know the current ideas on depression.

The point I was making was did anyone investigate this person, considering he lived on Hanbury street and since another suicide prompted an investigation why not look more closely at a suicide of a man who lived in the area of one of the murders.

The list of those who lived in the area is great. Thank you. I bet all of those people were looked into. Sodeaux is not on the list I see.

Comment

Third Reform Act

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                    To go back to the original request at the head of this thread, the nearest I have been able to find timewise is the electoral roll for 1890.
                    The section includes both 29 and 27 hanbury Street. I stress that this is from the Electoral Roll and so does not list all residents but only those registered to vote.
                    The Representation of the People Act 1884 gave the vote to all male householders paying an annual rent of more than £10 or owning land worth more than that amount. It's interesting that Paul Cadosch qualified, despite having been made bankrupt 9 years previously. What did each man have at 27, Hanbury Street? One room? Two at the most I would have thought?

Regards, Bridewell.
                    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

One other slim chance of finding people, is to put the address into a newspaper search engine. It might throw up the odd mention of someone who was a criminal/victim of crime.

Comment

Working...
                      X