No announcement yet.

29 Hanburry street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have had 29 Hanbury Street coming down around January 1970. I presume Ramsey got it from Trumans Magazine as I think the photos he reproduced of the demolition are from there.

Rob

Comment

Hi Rob,

Didn't someone (maybe on the old pre-crash site) post some accurate info as to when Hanbury Street came down?

This is of direct interest to me, as (and sorry to repeat myself here) I actually grabbed the door-knob of No 29 and bottled out about opening it, as I felt someone was still living there. I can never quite nail the date of that particular visit to the East End, but I'd have said 1969 or 1970. Certainly before I was married in July 1971.

Does anyone know the date of the James Mason film of 29 Hanbury Street?

Cheers,

Graham
      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post

Does anyone know the date of the James Mason film of 29 Hanbury Street?
        1967, Graham.

Comment

Graham, apparently 1967.

Goldfish in public toilets, meths drinkers, Italian caffs ... Bob Stanley on an extraordinary documentary that captures the seamy underbelly of 1960s London.

She wouldn't have let you in - you're not as suave as James Mason.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
            Hi Rob,

Didn't someone (maybe on the old pre-crash site) post some accurate info as to when Hanbury Street came down?

Graham
            Hi Graham

I don't think you can get much more accurate than what John said a few posts back. The first week in March 1970.

Rob

Comment

Thanks, fellas.

My memory's very vague of that particular day, but it was stinking hot, I can remember that. Also, I don't think there was much in the way of buildings either side of No 29 (but can't be certain), but the 'Brill' barber's sign was still in place. Sadly, until digital photography was thought up, I never owned a camera, much to my regret...

One rather nasty thing I can add (and I'm sure it's been mentioned before) is that "cat's meat" in those days was the boiled remnants of slaughtered horses...the pong must have been absolutely dreadful. Not quite the same as the little tins of delicious-looking 'sea-food platter' my own dear puss Joolz is partial to...providing it's served to him on a nice clean saucer with a little bowl of a decent Chablis to...no, I'm going off on one now.

Cheers,

Graham
              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Hi Graham,
                did the place seem as spooky as it does in photos?
                I wonder how many people from Casebook actually ever visited 29 Hanbury Street?

Comment

I believe the cat's meat shop was owned by Samuel Stockton, Harriet Hardiman's brother who was a cats meat man at various stages in his life. The cats meat vendors would work their own patch so I wonder if there was ever any violence as a result of competition?

Comment

Working...
                  X