No announcement yet.

HELP: The Farthing 'myth'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the reminder, Wick. I haven't read the story, but I liked the film. It includes many of my favourite character actors, including the Canadian Lou Jacobi. I must watch it again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
      This leaves the question of why this particular piece of information would be kept back. What if the items alluded were not, in fact "polished", but "Polish"
      coins?
      That was not possible, because there was no Poland as an indepentent state with it's own currency in 1888. It was wiped out of the maps almost a century before. You don't think the killer left on the scene a hundred years old coins, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
        Hi Bridewell,

Just for the record, I was not suggesting the coins were there and withheld at the inquest. I stated that it's a demonstrable fact that evidence was withheld at the various WM inquests, so one might argue that. But unless someone can produce an argument for why mention of the coins are missing from all the surviving files, we should conclude there were no coins found with Chapman.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
        Possibly so, though we might wonder why farthings were added to the Chapman murder scene by the press and not at any of the other murder scenes. Though I suppose it might be equally said that other bogus things were added along the way by the press about other aspects of the case.

Thanks

Chris

P.S. Grave Maurice -- thanks for the word that actor Lou Jacobi was Canadian which I had not known. British actor David Kossoff, who I notice was in the film "A Kid for Two Farthings" which I have not seen, was also an excellent actor.
        Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 11-23-2011, 09:48 AM.
        Christopher T. George
        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          So, if her killer gave her two farthings, what did he think that would buy, ...a kiss for two farthings?

(Psst, and the author was Jewish)

You might want to loook up the origin of the saying "A Tanner a touch"
          e

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
            Hi Bridewell,

Just for the record, I was not suggesting the coins were there and withheld at the inquest. I stated that it's a demonstrable fact that evidence was withheld at the various WM inquests, so one might argue that. But unless someone can produce an argument for why mention of the coins are missing from all the surviving files, we should conclude there were no coins found with Chapman.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
            Tom
            It is also a fact that many important questions which should have been asked of the various witnesses were not asked.

Comment

It could have been something like this:

Roughly the same size, weight and colour. Perfect for coining
              “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Working...
              X