Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE JACK THE RIPPER LOCATION PHOTOGRAPHS : Dutfield's Yard and the Whitby Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norma,

Well I agree that writers need to be paid,how would they live otherwise? With a begging bowl?

LOL I've been there, too, and when younger there were always navvy jobs to get through tight spots. In fact, I was actually told I showed a certain aptitude digging ditches--not sure if that was a compliment.

Don.
    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Originally posted by John Winsett View Post
      Holy Cow, I'm sorry I brought this whole thing up! Let me clarify my point before it gets too far out of hand. I supported Phillip on his plans to publish and get compensated for his work. Who wouldn't. My problem is the whole reason for the book is the Dutfield's photo. Now I don't know about the rest of you but I live in the US and it costs a pretty penny to get things shipped here. So when I shell out money for a product I expect it to be somewhat of a fair deal. In this case it's not. The book itself is terrific and full of great pics and info but the DF pic in my opinion was presented poorly because of an ego/parnoia concerning money. It must be money or else the pic would not have been split. If you look at the last page of the book with all the folks posing and phillip holding the DF pic, look at the pic and then look at the DF pic in the book and tell me which you would've preferred. After looking over the book again I've decided to keep it and will probably order phillips other book too. I mean no ill will towards Phillip and hope he gets more than 3% on his works. I also hope he will rectify the situation later and post a complete, unmolested pic on his website soon for all to study and enjoy. I hope Phillip and everyone sees my point but if not.......

John
      Hi John,

I see your point....but my problem with Philip's book is different.
      It's about the content... of my letterbox.
      I check it daily...no book.
      Although I've ordered it for more than 2 weeks.

Amitiés,
      David

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
        Sweat on boys and girls
        I gave my book to this site years ago, without copyright, or split pages, and I have watched many purloin that material without a single objection.
        There is a wider picture here, and that is the simple truth.
        Some are not big enough for that simplicity.
        Unbelievable. No, genuinely unbelievable.

Im still waiting on a refund on your book then AP. Seeing as I bought a copy of it, then you put it on line for free. Many, many years after it was first published, and I many be wrong, when it was out of print.

Now what were we saying about ego?

John,

You are entiled to your opinion. I think we are all in agreement with that.

Norma, Don,

I think a lot of people must realise that sometimes an authors make financial sacrifices in order to obtain the information we all enjoy.

Mere articles for Ripperologist, for which contributors are not paid, have information in them which have had to be purchased from the suppiler, and who pays for that?

Monty
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I thank you for your generosity to our shared field of endeavor. On behalf of future students, I give a special thanks. Well Done Sir. Respectfully Dave
          We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

While I don't begrudge anyone's profiting from their discovery of an historic artifact such as the Dutfield's Yard photo, I do think the deliberate splitting of the photo between two pages of the book is cheap and dishonest. Whatever the author's stated motive may be, the end result is to cheat buyers of the book out of what they paid for and have every right to expect - an unfettered and unadulterated view of the subject photo. Such an action goes beyond paranoia and ego. It betrays a deeper character defect usually described as an "anal personality," where power is gained by the act of denial. I think Mr. Winsett, and any other buyer of this book, has every right to feel cheated. The author should be ashamed of himself, and potential buyers of this book - and any future book - should be forewarned.
            Last edited by Dr. John Watson; 01-21-2010, 11:26 AM. Reason: added phrase
            "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
            Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

Some of these posts speak for themselves and I have no need to comment. It will be clear to everyone to make what they wish of the statements within.

However, for the few who have made me hang my head in shame at my unmitigated evil in having a publisher that placed a tiny section from a photo right up to the spine so I can make a fortune and show the photo filling up a double page instead of half a page, daring to make details visible, here's your little extra. Don't all wet yourselves.

Click image for larger version

Name:	069.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	658434

I have to say, it changes my whole perception of the case.

For those who claim it is ego and paranoia I say to you two words : Andrew Cook.

I've nothing more to choose to say on the subject. Those who've never met me, who openly say they know nothing about me, continue with your theorising. Then, when you've calmed down, feel free to go back to your theorising elsewhere on the site. Theories have never interested me.

PHILIP
              Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by John Winsett View Post
                Just as you couldn't experience the horror of MJK's pic if it was split paged, you can't experience your pic because of what you did.
                It's been out of print for years, ... but I'm surprised you don't own a copy!

Misspelled title, and all!

Comment

Well that's OK. Apparently the point was lost on both of you. Too bad. I'll make due I guess but I'll know who is upright and honest when it comes to this site now. Yeah that's a dig so live with it.

Comment

I can't see what people are moaning about. The book isn't just about the Dutfields Yard there are loads of other never before seen photographs in the book, if people bought it just for the Dutfields Yard photo than more fool them. And considering Philip's experience with one of his Whitby photos it's not surprising he's being cautious with the Dutfields Yard one. And frankly even if the book didn't contain the Dutfields Yard photo it would have been worth the price just for the Whitby photos.

Rob

Comment

No wonder I'm visiting these boards less and less.

Phil fortuitously came into the posession of the photo (as he did with the Whitby collection). After being very guarded and doing tons of research to make sure he had the real deal (with flak in the meantime), he puts it out in a format HE feels apropriate. i.e. a book.

Now it's in a book, people are bemoaning the fact that it hasn't been done in a way that suits them. Have these people ever shared anything with the rest of the field, or are they these f**king 'I want it on a plate' idiots?

That's what I think. Bollocks - it's now in the public domain and if you don't like the way it was presented then tough. YOU didn't discover it, but there it is. Get over it.

(Sorry, my tablets are beginning to wear off).

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                        I can't see what people are moaning about. The book isn't just about the Dutfields Yard there are loads of other never before seen photographs in the book, ...... And frankly even if the book didn't contain the Dutfields Yard photo it would have been worth the price just for the Whitby photos.

Rob
                        If the Whitby photos were of such great importance and of equal value, why weren't they all split down the middle as well?

Let all Oz be agreed;
                        I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

After seeing post number 81 I conclude we're looking for a very tall, thin man.

No wonder they called her Long Liz.

Comment

Originally posted by Septic Blue View Post
                            It's been out of print for years, ... but I'm surprised you don't own a copy!

Misspelled title, and all!
                            The 1981 Star paperback of Don's book has the MJK photo split across the pages. It never bothered me, it still had the same effect.

Comment

One out of three John's agree - Philip's book rocks!

Regarding AP Wolf...well, I don't regard AP Wolf.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Some people are never satisfied

I really don't understand why someone would make so much of a flack about a very interesting and well written and researched book.
                                I think the book is great and I, for one, appreciate all the fine work and research Philip has put into this book.
                                Buying the photo and going through what he did to authenticate the area in question was a labour of love in itself and Philip should be commended not villified for all of his hard work.
                                I was very happy with the content of his book and went on to purchase a second copy of it for a friend who is himself an author and could appreciate everything that went into it.
                                He also thought the book was well done and well researched and thought the photographs were presented in the best possible way.
                                Well done, Philip. Take no notice of people who have no appreciation for all the work you have done.

Comment

Working...
                                X