Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Louisa and Diddles: a specific category...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louisa and Diddles: a specific category...

Hi all,

as we are well aware of, witnesses are of various types. There are those who have seen something (Long, Lawende, etc), those who have heard something (Cadosch)...and those who have "felt" something...such as...Diddles and Louisa Reeves!

From the Echo, 17 August:

"Something was going to happen.

A statement was made this afternoon by Louisa Reeves, the wife of the dock labourer who first discovered the body [of Martha Tabram, of course] (...).Mrs Reeves explains that screams of "Murder" she heard early in the night must have proceeded from George Street, and could not possibly have been heard by her if they had proceeded from the dying woman.
    Strange to say, Mr and Mrs Reeves woke up several times under an apprehension that something was about to happen. Not a scream was heard by them when they aroused from their slumber, for Mr Reeves went to his door and listened.
    "I could not say why", remarked Mrs Reeves today, "but I knew something was about to happen out of the ordinary, for me and my old man were never so much disturbed before, though we almost nightly hear the cries of "Murder" and "Police". We pay no attention to them whatever.(...) But that night was a dreadful one. (...) We weren't awoke by screams, but there was something we could not understand, that seemed to tell us that trouble was at hand."

This suspicious statement tends to confirm Tom Wescott's observations about the supposed silence surrouding Tabram's murder (see his article "The Silence of Violence" in dissertations).
    In fact, it suggests that the Reeves, just like the Hewitts, have perhaps heard something of the murder, although they're insistent that they have not.

In short, Louisa chose to be a Diddles-like witness rather than a Cadosch-like one, for reasons well explained by Tom Wescott.

But let me add that I find (remotely) possible that Mrs Reeves "felt" something, after all... Who knows?
    Anyway, interesting articles here.

Amitiés,
    David

And what do I see in the advertisement on the left of the screen?

A black cat! True!

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Some more beers, my dear, and I open a thread : "Was Diddles black?"

Many of us, however, trust Diddles more than Bond - about the time of MK's murder...

Now the question is about the supposed silence in Tabram's case.
      If Mrs Reeves' words betray vague remorses, as in the case of the Hewitts, according to Tom Wescott, then the murder was far from noiseless. The Reeves lived on the 2nd floor, not only 12 feet away from the crime scene.

Amitiés
      David

Comment

Blimey!!!!!!!!

Amazing.... BUT in the meantime check out some original witness photos....

'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
          Amazing.... BUT in the meantime check out some original witness photos....

Hi Suzi,

now we possess serious evidences that the Reeves were actually a pair of cats.
          It's a bit sad to observe that cats could have a roof, while so many were homeless or struggling for their doss money.

Being a cat, John Reeves is likely to have lied saying he was a dock-labourer.

I understand that this new finding may shock some ripperologists.

Amitiés,
          David

Comment

Working...
          X