Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page 1 - Mitre Sq drawing, the white one with the X - is this marking one of the victims, and if so which one...and if so, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Someone was murdered there and nobody saw it, heard it, walked up on it for real?

I can't get my head around that one.

A bit further down, Petticoat Lane pic

holy COW that's a lot of people! Wow. I'd probably go postal just to make some breathing room! :O

I'm sure someone has asked long before now and forgive me but I'm not reading 223 pages to find out - are there any photos of the exact locations closer up (as opposed to 3 blocks down the street) that give a better idea or visual of the surrounding area...drawings don't help much for me. I'd rather see some realism if anything is available.

Thanks!

Comment

• Go to the online photo archive on this site. You'll find photos of all the murder spots (except for Dutfield's Yard, which will have illustrations nevertheless. That's another story).

Yes, if you do a little reading from even the most basic of books you'll find that the Eddowes murder was fairly daring. However, when you read about the locations of the murders of Martha Tabram and Annie Chapman, you'll see that it was far from the most brazen.

PHILIP
      Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• karensa, you'll find a trawl through all 223 pages {taken a bit at a time, naturally...} to be a thoroughly worthwhile excercise. It's a delight.
        "If you listen to the tills you can hear the bells toll. You can hear what a state we're in".

Comment

• Originally posted by The English Gardener View Post
          karensa, you'll find a trawl through all 223 pages {taken a bit at a time, naturally...} to be a thoroughly worthwhile excercise. It's a delight.
          Hear hear. it really is worth looking through the lot. once you start, it's quite difficult to stop

Comment

• I don't know if this has come up before. It isn't in the photo archive so I thought I'd post it.

IPSWICH JOURNAL JULY 19th 1889
            Attached Files

Comment

• Wonderful!

Originally posted by Andrew Firth View Post
              A few new photos from in and around the east end, taken this weekend.

The old Shoreditch station building on Code Street.
              [ATTACH]6999[/ATTACH]

An alternative view of the Gunthorpe Street archway.
              [ATTACH]7000[/ATTACH]

Hanbury Street with bollard.
              [ATTACH]7001[/ATTACH]

An arty one of Mitre Square.
              [ATTACH]7002[/ATTACH]

General view of the Pedley Street arch.
              [ATTACH]7003[/ATTACH]

All the best
              Andrew
              These photos are a godsend to those of us across the pond who just can't get to London anytime soon. The photos taken with the great new cameras are just wonderful. Please put more of them up when you have a chance, especially of the murder sites and the surrounding streets and buildings which haven't yet changed (!). Thanks, ghoulstonstreet
              Last edited by ghoulstonstreet; 11-27-2009, 12:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghoulstonstreet View Post
                These photos are a godsend to those of us across the pond who just can't get to London anytime soon. The photos taken with the great new cameras are just wonderful. Please put more of them up when you have a chance, especially of the murder sites and the surrounding streets and buildings which haven't yet changed (!). Thanks, ghoulstonstreet
                Your welcome ghoulstonstreet! I'm pleased to be one of the many people posting photographs here on this particular thread, providing a service for those outside of the UK.

Whilst I won't be taking pictures in the east end again until new years eve, I do have a few here from November 2003, which I don't think I've posted before.

A low level shot of the board school in Durward Street from next to the murder site of Mary Ann Nichols.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Durward Street 2003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	658091

A spot of messing about with a laser pen in Mitre Square.

Name:	Mitre Sq Laser Pen 2003.jpg
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	658092

Passing traffic in front of the Ten Bells.

Name:	The Ten Bells 2003.jpg
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	658093

All the best
                Andrew

Comment

• UK Urban Exploration Forums

This is perhaps a bit off-topic as it doesn't specifically relate to the East End of London, but there are many interesting photos of historic (and usually derelict) buildings here:

Comment

• Wonderful stuff Andrew-Love the Ten Bells and the laser pen ('orribly ripped up!) in Mitre Sq x
                    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Taken about 1pm today - nice light out - went in The Ten Bells but packed so didnt stay...wandered through Brick Lane market looking for Christmas presents, nothing but fake watches and cheap womens clothes........came away with only these pics of the ever-magnificent ChristChurch.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Great pics Adam
                        Great light in No 1
                        Love the Christmas wreaths in No 2 -especially the little anti-nick cages'!!

......I can always do with a bit of 'cheap womens clothes' though- never know you may get a bargain!!
                        Last edited by Suzi; 12-06-2009, 08:12 PM.
                        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• 18th & 19th C. London Slang

For Paddy Goose-

I just came across this entry for 'Paddy's Goose' in an 1870's dictionary- yeah, I read weird stuff, I know:

"Paddy's Goose, the sign of the White Swan, a noted flash public-house in the east of London, supposed to be Paddy's idea of a Goose. "

(They're always making fun of us Irish...)

Also several delightful uses of the word 'Whitechapel' as a derogatory term:

"Whitechapel", anything mean or paltry.

Potting one's opponent at billiards is often known as "Whitechapel play."

"Whitechapel or Westminster Brougham", a costermonger's donkey-barrow.

"Whitechapel fortune", a clean gown and a pair of pattens.

NOTE: This last one is a double slam, as 'pattens' are old-fashioned protective street-shoes made with wooden soles mounted upon incredibly high metal rings. Pattens almost look like fetish-wear, but are designed for walking through the worst filth that could pour down a city street, including human and animal waste.

Pattens had been worn since the Middle Ages, and were common well into the 19th C. until displaced by affordable rubber galoshes
                          and the wonders of modern plumbing.

Best regards, Archaic
                          Last edited by Archaic; 12-10-2009, 08:32 AM.

Comment

• Just looking at those recent Christchurch photos, and asking an ignorant question from the northern U.S.- is London free of snow right now?

Comment

• As a followup to my last question, I can't help but notice that these pictures of Christchurch in December show green leaves still on the trees. Just what is the weather like in England right now?

Comment

• Snow settling in London is rare these days at any time. Snow in DECEMBER? Almost unheard of.

PHILIP
                                Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Working...
                                X