Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Periodicals: Upcoming Article - by TomTomKent 2 hours ago.
Periodicals: Upcoming Article - by TomTomKent 2 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by NickB 3 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: George Hutchinson Shadowing Sarah Lewis' Statement - by Darryl Kenyon 4 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: George Hutchinson Shadowing Sarah Lewis' Statement - by Wickerman 6 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: George Hutchinson Shadowing Sarah Lewis' Statement - by Wickerman 6 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Mary Jane Kelly: George Hutchinson Shadowing Sarah Lewis' Statement - (7 posts)
Periodicals: Upcoming Article - (6 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Help On Some Details - (4 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (3 posts)
Casebook Announcements: Server Switching and Reprogramming.. - (1 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Most accurate reconstruction (Graphic Warning) - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries > A6 Murders

Old 12-21-2018, 10:18 AM
Sergeant

No, it must have happened quite soon.

On 15-Sep-61 Nudds said in his first statement: "I have been shown an entry in the register dated 21 August signed J.Ryan, 72 Wood Lane, Kingsbury who was allocated room 24. I remember this booking quite well."

It may be because Nudds remembered it anyway that the police thought there was no point in continuing to attempt the concealment. Although I'm sure he could have 'unremembered' it if asked!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:05 AM
Sergeant

Merry Christmas everyone and a Happy New Year

Delboy
Old 12-24-2018, 09:19 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Merry Christmas everyone and a Happy New Year

Delboy
Same here Ho Ho Ho!
Old 01-18-2019, 04:52 AM
Sergeant

Alfie,

Looking back at previous pages I notice that in post 4795 you came to the conclusion that the police had tampered with the hotel records. So Mansfield's claims appear to confirm what you had already suspected.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:58 PM
Detective

Thanks Nick.

On holiday in NZ at the moment so haven't access to books, notes etc for the next five weeks.

Happy New Year to you and other A6 regulars.
Old Today, 10:25 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Looking back at previous pages I notice that in post 4795 you came to the conclusion that the police had tampered with the hotel records. So Mansfield's claims appear to confirm what you had already suspected.
With reference to further wrongdoing and misbehaviour on the part of the police the following should be well heeded...

Baden [Bill] Skitt, ex Chief Constable of Hertfordshire, was appointed in 1996 as one of the original commissioners of the recently set up Criminal Cases Review Commission. One of the suspected miscarriages of justice cases he investigated was the case of James Hanratty. During the course of his investigation he discovered that on April 5th 1962, the day after Hanratty's execution, Kenneth Oxford went to the archives, signed for and received the Vienna Hotel register. A very strange thing to do just one day after Hanratty was hanged. This register was never returned to the archives and when Skitt came to question Oxford about it and ask him the reason why it was never returned, Oxford just replied that he couldn't remember. Unbelievable !

Now the obvious question that must be asked is what was so important about the contents of the Vienna Hotel register that it was deemed necessary, just one day after Hanratty's judicial murder, to take the trouble of going to the archives, collecting it and ensuring it's non-return ? We are left merely to speculate about Oxfraud's, oops I mean Oxford's unacceptable behaviour.

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]
Old Today, 11:46 AM
Assistant Commissioner

I've taken time off from the A6 Case, so forgive me if my memory's not so good - not for the first time I've lent my A6 books to a friend and must get them back!

IIRC, Woffinden said that the Vienna Hotel records, presumably including the register, was in police hands for 9 days, as of 11 September 1961, after the Vienna became of interest to them . It was then, presumably, returned to the hotel, as it would be required for taxation purposes and so forth. The Vienna Hotel at 158 Sutherland Avenue traded until around 1980, perhaps a little later (it is now townhouses). If the register was, as is claimed, in the police archives on April 5th 1962, just when was it placed there? Did the police at some time between ca. 20 September 1961 and 5 April 1962 take it back into their possession again? If so, why? I feel certain that had the register not been returned to the hotel, then Woffinden would have commented.

Maybe there's a simple explanation, but it sounds a bit fishy to me.

Graham
Old Today, 06:14 PM
Sergeant

If the Register was taken away by Oxford presumably it was because the police were complicit in scoring out Mr Bell’s name in the Diary for 22-Aug-61, to support the false claim in Nudds Second Statement that Bell had cancelled his booking, and Oxford was trying to hide the fact that Bell had signed the register as having stayed that night.

If this was the intention it failed because Foot reported that Bell had signed the Register. If Oxford had taken it away, presumably Foot got his information about it from the court proceedings.

It is incredulous how, knowing that Bell had signed the Register, Foot placed any faith in the Second Statement - which also contradicted Foot’s own account of how Alphon booked in: "On Tuesday the 22nd, in the evening, he had booked in at the Vienna Hotel through the Broadway House Hotel ...”