Lechmere's Lodgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lechmere's Lodgers

The 1881 census shows "Chas Allen Lechmer" (31), carman, living at 20 James St., along with his wife Elizabeth (31) and his four children aged between 1 and 7. Also living with the family was Ellen McCarthy (38), a charwoman, and her two children James Alfred (19) and Ellen Catherine (16).

For a psychopath, Charlie certainly worked hard to provide for his family.

Interesting information, Patrick.
    Ellen may have been a widowed sister, also, or simply a lodger.

At any rate, given the small houses of the time, and the long hours a teamster worked, I do not think this supports the notion of Charles being a serial killer.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
      Interesting information, Patrick.
      Ellen may have been a widowed sister, also, or simply a lodger.

At any rate, given the small houses of the time, and the long hours a teamster worked, I do not think this supports the notion of Charles being a serial killer.
      "Lodger' was written on the census form, then crossed out and replaced with 'head'. It looks as if either she or the census misunderstood and then, when they moved on to the children and saw 'relation' to head, crossed it out and wrote 'head'.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
        She wrote 'lodger' was written on the census form, then crossed out and replaced with 'head'.
        Probably because she supported two teen children, so she was a "Head of household"-- I imagine the enumerator told her to d so.
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

Working...
        X