Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: Most Ridiculous Theory - by Sam Flynn 7 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Most Ridiculous Theory - by Harry D 11 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Most Ridiculous Theory - by caz 24 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Most Ridiculous Theory - by caz 45 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 8 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Most Ridiculous Theory - by Michael W Richards 1 hour and 9 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - (27 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Most Ridiculous Theory - (8 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - (3 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (2 posts)
Non-Fiction: Jack and the Thames Torso Murders: A New Ripper? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > From Hell (Lusk) Letter

Old 12-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Sergeant

It could be meant to be Irish or even Yorkshire. We talk of 't'other' as well! Although I am not sure about the 'Mishter' bit.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:27 PM
Sergeant

For sure, t'other could pertain to a lot of places--but it was the 'Sor,' and the Mishter (well, could be someone three sheets to the wind, too) looked a bit Irish to me.

claire
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:01 AM
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Lestrade View Post
Wastelandr,
Thank you for the kind support, Sir.
Ma'am, and you're welcome! Perhaps computers are a hinderance as much as a help to spelling.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippin Joan View Post
I've said before that I see Jack as someone who loved his knife and cutting things up.
Wastlandr,
My apologies. The computer is a hindrance to vision. I'm sure I'd never make that error in person.

Wastlandr & Pippin Joan,
I'd totally missed it but now that you've pointed it out, the knife obsession is nagging at me. The 'knif' is not just a tool -he talks about it with the warmth and enthusiasm a man usually reserves for a favorite dog. It's almost as if he anthropomorhizes it. Or does it represent to him his evil side -his 'Mr. Hyde'? (That is, if any of the letters are genuine.) I'm sure it has great significance- I'm just not sure what it is.
Hmmm... Perhaps Mr. Holmes...
Old 12-17-2008, 01:43 AM
Cadet

Excellent observations, Inspector. Agreed on what you said - that JTR talked about his knife with warmth and enthusiasm. The link with a Jekyll/Hyde personality would fit with the idea that JTR was insane with an urge for killing at times overwhelming him.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:16 AM
perrymason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Lestrade View Post
Wastlandr,
Wastlandr & Pippin Joan,
I'd totally missed it but now that you've pointed it out, the knife obsession is nagging at me. The 'knif' is not just a tool -he talks about it with the warmth and enthusiasm a man usually reserves for a favorite dog. It's almost as if he anthropomorhizes it. Or does it represent to him his evil side -his 'Mr. Hyde'? (That is, if any of the letters are genuine.) I'm sure it has great significance- I'm just not sure what it is.
Hmmm... Perhaps Mr. Holmes...
When you factor in that this letter appeared with an anatomical sample that was suggestive of the one taken from Kate, and that he offers to share that which he took with his "knif"...his friend as you say...and someday even the "knif" itself...I think you may be seeing a man who is experiencing Isolation at new levels...and wants to have someone understand him.

Thats why for me, this communication is one of very few real possibilities....its not a scare letter, its a share letter. I would think the killer may have felt alone on the planet at that time, with everyone hating and despising this bloody killer. I dont put much stock in the "funny little games", or "I need more blood" letters, I dont think he felt any need to taunt the pursuers...and if Lusk did receive that from Jack, he doesnt taunt or intimidate him.

Best regards
Old 12-17-2008, 05:43 AM
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrymason View Post
Thats why for me, this communication is one of very few real possibilities....its not a scare letter, its a share letter.
That makes a lot of sense. It seems that JTR would be proud of his work, and this could have been his "Daddy, look what I did!" moment.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:10 PM
perrymason

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewastelandr View Post
That makes a lot of sense. It seems that JTR would be proud of his work, and this could have been his "Daddy, look what I did!" moment.
Perhaps, that may be the driver, or... just by the offering of something that is connected directly to a murder he is seeking to have someone who shares some of his guilt....symbolically of course. Just potentially having an actual piece of Kate in his house links Lusk forever to Jacks crime in Mitre Square in terms of the investigation.

In that sense, he gives Lusk immortality as well, quite a gesture when you think of it in those terms.

Its the fact that he even writes a suggestion that Lusk can eat the piece of kidney he sends that hints at some kind of communion with him....like that would have ever happened. He must know that it wouldnt be eaten, but he says thats why he sent it.

Maybe Jack doesnt harbour hard feelings towards the Vigilantees, maybe he sees himself as a kind of one.

Best regards
Old 12-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrymason View Post
In that sense, he gives Lusk immortality as well, quite a gesture when you think of it in those terms.
Very interesting thought. I hadn't thought of it like that. Like he is somewhat incriminating Lusk by giving him a link to the crime.

It is interesting that Jack suggests he may send his "knif" if Lusk will only "wait a little longer." Does that suggest JTR is going to turn in his knife once his killing spree is over?
Old 02-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Shelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
In his report of 6th November 1888 Chief Inspector Donald Swanson transcribed the 'From hell' or 'Lusk Letter' and I don't recall that this transcription has been published before. So out of interest, here it is -

Attachment 1792

HO 144/221/A49301C f 193
The letter clearly says ' Sir ' not ' Sor ' it's just the way the writer has written his ' R '. Judging by some pen strokes down, he was thinking about what was in his own pants i'll guess ( somewhere between 18 yrs old & 24 yrs old male), you know Prostitutes and all...A little hoaxer on all accounts. When Fido made mention about his knowledge on Irish slang and theatres etc, there were also a lot of Irish female immigrants just getting off the boat and straight into prostitution as well. Chapman, Eddowes and Nichols amongst others just needed to make some money to get by and the ' Oldest profession ' always brought that....So not a single trip to the local DSS for those women.