Cross The Ripper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross The Ripper?

A Poll to establish current opinion on Charles Cross here on Casebook.

Innocent witness unfortunate enough to be caught up in the Nicholls case? Ordinary man on his way to work who just didn't want to get involved? OR - devious and fast-thinking killer?

Is the search for Jack the Ripper over at last?

You decide.

This is an anonymous poll. Anybody wanting to state the reasons for their opinion can do so, of course.

Happy Voting!
    Very likely
    8.64%
    Possible
    22.22%
    Improbable
    25.93%
    Highly unlikely
    43.21%

Hi Sally,

How do we vote? I'm not seeing the usual poll format.

Regards, Bridewell.

Just come back in and it's there now. Sorry
    Last edited by Bridewell; 06-28-2012, 11:58 AM. Reason: Update
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Hi Colin - it should be up now.

Comment

Ah, another one of your polls, Sally. Tell me, how does "possible" and "unlikely" rule each other out? And could not "highly unlikely" still be "possible"? That´s a three step difference and the same outcome...?

Anyway, I´m sure this scientifically grounded and well formulated poll will tell us whether there is any need for further research or not. It´s fully up to your usual standards, at any rate.

The best,
        Fisherman

Comment

Fish. Don't waste your time trying to discredit an opinion poll. Really.

In point of fact, all the options are 'possible'. There are no absolutes included. That would be simplistic. If anybody feels absolutely certain that the answer should be a categoric 'Yes' or 'No' then I hope they will say so.

I don't have anything else to say about it. It's an opinion poll; the results are out of my hands.

Comment

Rippers, etc.

Hello Sally. From my humble perspective, it may have been more interesting had it been couched in terms of "Polly's slayer" rather than "the Ripper."

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
              Hello Sally. From my humble perspective, it may have been more interesting had it been couched in terms of "Polly's slayer" rather than "the Ripper."

Cheers.
              LC
              Hi Lynn - I think that would be a different poll - this one being to see whether people think Cross make a good Ripper or not; have we had a 'single or multiple Ripper' poll yet?

I'm sure there'd be some takers for it

Comment

As no book or lengthy write up of the whole case against Cross has been presented it is a little premature for such a poll - as I have no doubt the originator is quite aware.
                I suspect this is merely an endeavour to enable certain posters to pooh-pooh any suggestion hat Cross may have done it by reference to a unrepresentative poll based on piecemeal evidence.
                It is a little tragic to see historical discussion reduced to opinion polls.

Comment

Lechmere - get a grip. Most people have better things to do with their time than score points on an internet forum. Really.

Its just a bit of fun.

Comment

better case scenario

Hello Sally. Thanks. My point was that one can make a better case for Cross as slayer of Polly. In the same way, one can make a better case for Toppy or Barnett as a killer of MJK than for 4 more.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Hi Lechmere. Sally has actually been quite sympathetic and supportive of the research into Cross, Fisherman's essay, etc. I'm sure you've misjudged her motives.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

high class poll

Hello Lechmere. That's what I thought when I saw the old "Stride done by Jack" poll. The Jacksters (now, how's that for a new coinage?) came out on top, about 65%--give or take.

Scientific? Hardly. Accurate? Well, it showed that 65% of those who studied the case AND who responded to polls (heh-heh) thought Liz belonged.

Same here. Accurate? Nah. Is research complete? Hardly. But that depends on you and Christer and Mr. Lucky. Perhaps the numbers will change?

If you had taken a Tabram poll before the Sugden book came out AND before the FBI report, I daresay you would have had few takers. But today, it is chic to include her. And, to be fair, the MET included her way back then.

Does this poll at least relieve tedium? Possibly. I'll leave it to others to decide. Haven't had many polls of late--glad Sally started one.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                          Hi Lechmere. Sally has actually been quite sympathetic and supportive of the research into Cross, Fisherman's essay, etc. I'm sure you've misjudged her motives.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                          Tom

In point of fact I haven't offered any opinion at all on Fisherman's essay. Like others, generally speaking I would like to see some evidence amidst the conjecture. Perhaps the advocates of the Cross theory can find some through further research.

Comment

Hi Sally, I meant you've been supportive of his efforts, not necessarily of his conclusions.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Most people have better things to do with their time than score points on an internet forum. Really.
                              Indeed, Sally.

I expected one or two people to throw a few toys out of the pram once the unpopularity of their theory is brought home to them, but that far from invalidate your thread and the wholly anticipated results it contains.

All the best,
                              Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X