Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Scene of the Crimes: distances between kills.odd - by albie 3 minutes ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Rob1n 32 minutes ago.
Bury, W.H.: William Bury website - by Harry D 54 minutes ago.
Bury, W.H.: William Bury website - by Busy Beaver 3 hours ago.
General Discussion: JTR's profession - by Busy Beaver 4 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: George Hutchinson Shadowing Sarah Lewis' Statement - by Trevor Marriott 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Mary Jane Kelly: George Hutchinson Shadowing Sarah Lewis' Statement - (17 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Help On Some Details - (10 posts)
Bury, W.H.: William Bury website - (8 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (5 posts)
General Discussion: JTR's profession - (2 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Old 02-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Commisioner

I believe that pocket is generally called a watch pocket in America and I have some pants that have this compartment and I have a watch to wear in it on rare occasions.

Curare has also been mentioned as a possible poison.

Stan Reid
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Sergeant

A weird aspect of the case for me was the removal of tags from the deceased's clothing, or the removal of most of them anyway. The tie had the nameof Keane written on it i think.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Sergeant

This case is incredibly fascinating.

One thing that gave me a shiver, for some reason, was the copy of The Rubaiyat from which the cut-out words came being found by a man in the back of his unlocked car - and another uncut copy found on the same day, by another man in the back of his unlocked car. Curiouser and curiouser!

A dead man, an unsolvable code, a mystery woman, a bastard child, a book of poems... It's like a Dan Brown novel. Only - not that badly written.

I had to blink at a footnote in the Wikipedia article on the case:

The taxidermist who made the plaster cast testified at the inquest that he assumed the Somerton man had been in the habit of wearing high-heeled pointed shoes as both physical traits were found predominantly in women. Police had earlier investigated if he had been a stockman in Queensland based on the same traits.

I imagined a bunch of drovers mincing about in stiletto heels, a la Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

Have any of you who were looking into this found/surmised anything?
Old 07-31-2011, 08:10 AM
Chief Inspector

Earlier this year I purchased a copy of the book,'The unknown man',from the ex detective who wrote it.I also,at his suggestion,emailed my views to him after I had read the book.Although the top toxicologists could find no evidence of poison,the view that he was poisoned still prevails.It is not my view.As to the code written on the page of the Tamun Shud book,it is revealed in the book that the pencilled words had faded considerably,and my suggeston is that it was too old to have any relation to the man's presence at Somerton.I still have the conviction that the man was or had been a sailor.I have put out one or two messages on the internet as to missing sailors from ships off the eastern states of Australian ports during late 1948,but so far no luck.To anyone who may be interested,I believe an exhaustive search through Australian Customs and Immigration authorities,and also British shipping companies and shipping unions might produce a list of missing seamen.Health and age prevents my doing any worthwhile research.The book 'The unknown man'can be puschased from the author.It is written by a person who knew his job,gives valuable information not available from any other source,and is well worth the price of purchase
Old 07-31-2011, 09:27 AM
Sergeant

Thank you, Harry. I'll try to hunt up a copy.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Chief Inspector

Ausgirl,
You can only buy direct from the author.Both his home address and email address is available on the net.
Regards.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Chief Inspector

A recent article in an Adelaide,Australia newspaper,suggests that the identity of the man found dead on the beach at Somerton, South Australia,in 1948,may have been solved.A woman searching through photos and documents belonging to her father,discovered an American seaman's identity card, number 58757,issued to a H.C.Reynolds,of British nationality,aged 18.The date 28 February 1918 is stamped in the aged section.A photo of Reynolds is printed on the card.A professor of Anthropological and Comparitive Anotomy,respected as an expert in the field,has reportedly declared the photo on the seaman's identity card matches that of the dead man,and that it is of the same person.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Sergeant

The original post mentions Omar Khayyam’s ‘The Rubaiyat’

This has a connection with the Titanic because it was said that a rare copy was on the ship when it went down.

(Just thought I'd mention it)
Old 11-26-2011, 04:17 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
Jason,
Some time ago I did make mention of the Somerton man on these boards.I live in Adelaide,and quite recently the case was aired in the local paper,'The Advertiser'.I have studied the case,and there are some avenues,if followed ,might yet produce results.One particular mistake when reproducing the code,is to suggest that all of it was written in block capitals.My impression is that the last three letters are in script,signifying that he added his signature at the end of a message.G.A.B.
I'll email it if you are interested.I go along with the first impressions of the police that the man was a sailor.
Regards.
I saw that over on Websleuths Harry and was going to mention it here but my cookies got disenabled. Where's the beef though?

Stan Reid
Old 11-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Cadet

This is a classic case, there are also some peculiar unsolved murders which surround the Rubyiat and this case as well.

Joseph George Saul Haim Marshall, younger brother of Chief Minister of Singapore David Saul Marshall, was discovered dead poisoned with barbiturates. Next to his body lay a first edition copy of the Rubaiyat, which those words Taman Shud had been cut from. Thirteen days after the inquest into his death the only witnesses to Mr Marshall’s suspicious death, Gwenneth Dorothy Graham, turned up dead herself, drowned, face down in a bath with her wrists slashed open.

There's the peculiar business of Keith Mangnoson and his son.