Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Varqm 12 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Varqm 27 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere was Jack the Ripper - by Herlock Sholmes 1 hour and 24 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - by Herlock Sholmes 1 hour and 25 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - by Yabs 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Wickerman 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere was Jack the Ripper - (40 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (13 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (10 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - (9 posts)
General Discussion: What Would an "Investigation" Consist of? - (2 posts)
Rippercast: Colin Wilson: Jack the Ripper Conference in Ipswich, 1996 - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 09-14-2017, 08:33 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
A few pages ago you was asking about the Will and its reliability (was it really penned by James) but now you're willing to conclude its PROOF we have different styles of handwriting?

Your arguments are not nearly as strong as you think they're.
I think it was Graham or John who said what I initially told you, that there are more than one example, and the examples we have did not match. You responded to that by saying you'd have to dig the book out of the loft. Your memory is shoddy, Kaz.

I'm still waiting for even one decent piece of evidence for it being the real deal. I think I see those cows coming home.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:37 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J. G. View Post
I think it was Graham or John who said what I initially told you, that there are more than one example, and the examples we have did not match. You responded to that by saying you'd have to dig the book out of the loft. Your memory is shoddy, Kaz.

I'm still waiting for even one decent piece of evidence for it being the real deal. I think I see those cows coming home.

Nope, been in the loft, couldn't find my copy. Have ordered a new one on ebay.

Theres also a signature of James's from a ship he travelled on, have you seen it? Looks very similar, has the squiggle underneath?
Old 09-14-2017, 08:41 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Nope, been in the loft, couldn't find my copy. Have ordered a new one on ebay.

Theres also a signature of James's from a ship he travelled on, have you seen it? Looks very similar, has the squiggle underneath?
The thing is, Kaz, there's a gulf of difference between similar and the same.

There are many ways to write, but we tend to notice that a lot of people carry the same little flares and nuances.

This is why we have an entire science devoted to the study of such handwriting, to eliminate the similar from the exact.

Basically, you can't look at a piece of writing and go "well it looks similar", because that's how you get fooled into purchasing expensive autographs and signed memorabilia that aren't genuine.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:43 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
How Caz?

Why not email them directly to Dave?

Monty
Sorry, Monty, but what's your interest in this?

Keith has already handed the notes over for anyone who is willing or able to put them up on casebook and I understand they are being put up on jtrforums tomorrow.

I'm not sure why anyone expects him to do any more than that and I don't know what his workload is like at the moment.

Love,

Caz
X

Old 09-14-2017, 08:44 AM
Detective

Quote:
The thing is, Kaz, there's a gulf of difference between similar and the same.

There are many ways to write, but we tend to notice that a lot of people carry the same little flares and nuances.

This is why we have an entire science devoted to the study of such handwriting, to eliminate the similar from the exact.

Basically, you can't look at a piece of writing and go "well it looks similar", because that's how you get fooled into purchasing expensive autographs and signed memorabilia that aren't genuine.

Sure.

The main summation is thanks to the will, which hasn't been proven 100% to be from James's hand.

What books have you read regarding the diary?

You ask ALOT of questions, strikes me you don't know the details nearly well enough to hold such a strong (aggressive) opinion.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:48 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Sure.

The main summation is thanks to the will, which hasn't been proven 100% to be from James.

What books have you read regarding the diary?

You ask ALOT of questions, strikes me you don't know the details nearly well enough to hold such a strong (aggressive) opinion.
No, there is also a letter, which I believe is from America(?) IIRC.

You seem more interested in the idea that the handwriting on the will/letter may not me James's, but totally accept that the dubious diary was his, bit odd.

Don't you worry yourself about what I've read, Kaz. You keep insinuating that I don't know the details, yet you seem unable to tell me what I'm supposed to be incorrect on. That's frankly hilarious.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:49 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
Sorry, Monty, but what's your interest in this?

Keith has already handed the notes over for anyone who is willing or able to put them up on casebook and I understand they are being put up on jtrforums tomorrow.

I'm not sure why anyone expects him to do any more than that and I don't know what his workload is like at the moment.

Love,

Caz
X
Apologies Caz, as someone who has been interested in Ripperology since the age of 12, I naturally assumed an interest in all things connected.

I didn't realise Keith offered them to Casebook. I assume, yet again, these were offered to Spry, yes?

And I'm slightly surprised Ripperologist has not taken up this offer, what with them being a respected publication and free.

Monty

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Last edited by Monty : 09-14-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:49 AM
Detective

Quote:
No, there is also a letter, which I believe is from America(?) IIRC.

You seem more interested in the idea that the handwriting on the will/letter may not me James's, but totally accept that the dubious diary was his, bit odd.

Don't you worry yourself about what I've read, Kaz. You keep insinuating that I don't know the details, yet you seem unable to tell me what I'm supposed to be incorrect on. That's frankly hilarious.

Thats the thing, Mike, you DON'T know the full details.

You haven't read roberts new book.

Keep digging though, you'll get the answers you don't want to read soon enough..I'm sure.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:52 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Thats the thing, Mike, you DON'T know the full details.

You haven't read roberts new book.

Keep digging though, you'll get the answers you don't want to read soon enough..I'm sure.

Have you read it, Kaz? I only ask because you don't seem to be able to quote any of it, despite claiming that all of these errors are explained away.

You're definitely the type of person who would jump at the chance to shut those blasted naysayers up, yet you're unable to do so, and me thinks it has something to do with the lack of rebuttal.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:54 AM
Detective

Quote:
Have you read it, Kaz? I only ask because you don't seem to be able to quote any of it, despite claiming that all of these errors are explained away.

You're definitely the type of person who would jump at the chance to shut those blasted naysayers up, yet you're unable to do so, and me thinks it has something to do with the lack of rebuttal.

The fact that you've disrepected so many open minded posters on here (like myself) I take more satisfaction from you SQUIRMING for those answers... you being the #1 fan an all...