The Mysterious Disappearance of Glenn Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mysterious Disappearance of Glenn Miller

The Mysterious Disappearance of Glenn Miller, from the edited h2g2, the Unconventional Guide to Life, the Universe and Everything

greeting all ,i have always been interested in missing planes ,people who fly off into nowhere & this is one of my favorite mysteries ,so where is Glenn Miller?

Nice one, Doppel! I didn't know there was a Glenn Miller mystery: very interesting. I love whole the 'friendly fire' concept. Not that damn friendly, what?
    Chief Superintendent Brownlow: "Are there any Tension Indicators? Over!"

DI Galloway: "Tension indicators?! They're throwing bloody petrol bombs. Sir."

Comment

Hello Doppelganger!

Originally posted by Doppelganger View Post
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/A2654822

greeting all ,i have always been interested in missing planes ,people who fly off into nowhere & this is one of my favorite mysteries ,so where is Glenn Miller?
      "Heaven,
      he's in heaven..."

All the best
      Jukka
      "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Alton Glenn Miller, noted big-band bandleader and trombonist, born 1904. Went missing over the English Channel in 1944 on his way to Paris from London to perform in the recently-liberated French capital. He never made it there.

I'm of the opinion that his plane was accidently hit by friendly-fire from returning RAF bombers and that it crashed somewhere in the Channel.
        "Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" - Admiral David Farragut.

Comment

Only to resurface years later on Jive Bunny albums at wedding discos
          'Oh Yes,still got the moves son,still got the moves...'

Comment

Hi Jukka,

I love that song! I have a boxed set of music that was popular in the '30s and '40s, and I really love listening to it. I try to imagine my grandparents, and parents listening and dancing to it. They had class in those days.

Best,

Cel
            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Hi Cel,
              Don't forget the line painted down the back of the leg out of gravy browning, to make it look like the ladies were wearing stockings!!...
              That's if they hadn't found a nice young yank to help them out.......
              of the situation.......and the stockings when they got 'em!!!

I love a bit of Glenn Miller...get's you right "In the Mood".

Pennsylvania 65-000!

His music was a true gift,at a time when it was most needed.

Comment

HI Anna,

The women here used eyebrow pencils. So strange!

Did you ever see a documentary in which a modern family tries to live exactly the way a family in London did during the Blitz? I can't remember the name of it but it was quite good. I think there were about 4 episodes. There was an older woman, her daughter and sons, and the husbands who were supposed to be away at war, I think. It really drove it home what the people went through during the war. Not just the bombings but the fact that everything was running out. I can imagine how much relief listening to the radio must have been.

Bougie-wougie? Or is it boogie-woogie?
                "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

I still have my sugar ration stamps. That didn't end until late 1946.
                  This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

I have to say I'm surprised there hasn't been the kind of search for Glenn Miller there has been for Amelia Earhart. He was arguably more famous than she was, and disappeared in much the same way. Someone should try to find Miller's plane.
                    "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

Hi Cel

I think the programme you are talking about is "The 1940's House". There was a series of them,where the programmes were set in different decades.
                      I loved that programme..and I agree,it does bring it all home to you.
                      Have you seen some programmes or films on a series called "Dad's Army"?
                      Which is set in a fictitional seaside town called Warmington on Sea,during the Second World War... it's about the Home Guard,who were a group of men who were exempt from signing up.I think you'd love it..

I bet it took them ages to get those lines straight,up the backs of their legs.
                      Mind you,I suppose it got easier the more times they attempted it!!

I think it's Boogie Woogie???
                      Boogie Woogie bugle boy of Company B!!....unless others know different?

Just thinking about the 50's music,makes me wanna Jive,Cel.

Catch you later,
                      ANNA.

Comment

Dont tell 'im Pike.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Pirate

Comment

Re finding Glenn Miller's plane, the writer and aviator Saint-Exupery's plane went down off the coast of France in 1944, and bits of it were only recently discovered - by chance, if I remember correctly, by a fisherman.

Comment

Boogie-Woogie. That's how it's spelt. And yes, the show is called The 1940s House. I only watched the first few episodes, I wish I could have finished watching it. It was incredibly interesting. And fun, too.
                            "Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" - Admiral David Farragut.

Comment

Glenn Miller's music always reminds me of the severe austerity of post-war Britain, of an unnecessarily-strict upbringing, Two-Way Family Favourites of a Sunday lunchtime, and eternal thanks to Bob Dylan and to whoever introduced me to the Blues in the 1960's....

Cheers,

Graham
                              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Working...
                              X