Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Torso Killings: torso maps - by RockySullivan 11 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by Sam Flynn 42 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - by Sam Flynn 53 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by RockySullivan 60 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - by Phil Carter 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (39 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - (19 posts)
General Discussion: Masonic and the number 39. - (7 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (7 posts)
Research Related: Henry Kelly - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Old 05-20-2015, 08:51 AM
Superintendent

Steven Kraft, Jr., also known as “Steve or Stevie” by friends and family, was an 11-year-old who attended Hull Elementary School in Benton Township, MI. He vanished days after he completed a 5-day suspension for defending himself in a fight with another student. He was described as a good student and this suspension was his first due to a “bully”.

On the evening of February 15, 2001 Steve left his Benton Township home to walk his two dogs. When he didn’t return home for dinner his parents decided to wait a little bit longer before going out to search for him. It didn’t take too long before one of the two dogs came home by himself. He appeared excited and jumpy and led the parents to a nearby pond but when dive-teams searched the pond they didn’t find anything of significance. The other dog was found shortly after at a Blue Creek which is a local creek a mile a half north from Steven's home.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:19 AM
Superintendent

Jason Jolkowski's disappearance is mindblowing. Jason was a 19 year old kid who vanished into thin air in June 13, 2001. He was called into work early but because his car was being repaired he arranged for a colleague to pick him up at a nearby school. This was about eight blocks away from Jason's home. Jason never made it to the school and has never been seen since.

The last sighting of Jason was from his younger brother who saw Jason carrying the trash cans in at 10.45 am. This sighting was also confirmed by one of the neighbours. There are no other sightings of Jason past this and there are no other clues. At some point during the short walk to the meeting point he vanished. It's a complete dead-end.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:06 PM
Assistant Commissioner

How about this for vanishing into thin air?

Late in 1978 Fred Valentich was flying a small aircraft across the Bass Strait between Tasmania and the Australian mainland. He sent a r/t message to Melbourne ATC asking if they had any image on their screens of a 'large aircraft' with four very bright lights showing. He was told there was no aircraft in the area other than his. Shortly afterwards, he radio'd that the 'large aircraft' was approaching him from due east, and that 'it seems to be playing some sort of game, flying at a speed I can't estimate....it is now flying past me....coming right at me now....it has a long shape....it looks sort of metallic....it is now right on top of me'.

Valentich then radio'd that his engine was faltering, and he informed Melbourne ATC that he would proceed to King Island, and that the unknown aircraft was now 'right on top of me'. Melbourne ATC radio-operator then heard a loud grinding noise on the radio that lasted for 17 seconds, then the radio from Valentich's aircraft went dead. No trace of him or his aircraft was ever found. Valentich's father said that if his son's aircraft had simply had engine trouble and gone down in the sea, then why was his son reporting the sighting of another aircraft hovering over him?

Not the only aircraft that disappeared without trace over the Bass strait.

Graham

Last edited by Graham : 06-02-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
How about this for vanishing into thin air?

Late in 1978 Fred Valentich was flying a small aircraft across the Bass Strait between Tasmania and the Australian mainland. He sent a r/t message to Melbourne ATC asking if they had any image on their screens of a 'large aircraft' with four very bright lights showing. He was told there was no aircraft in the area other than his. Shortly afterwards, he radio'd that the 'large aircraft' was approaching him from due east, and that 'it seems to be playing some sort of game, flying at a speed I can't estimate....it is now flying past me....coming right at me now....it has a long shape....it looks sort of metallic....it is now right on top of me'.

Valentich then radio'd that his engine was faltering, and he informed Melbourne ATC that he would proceed to King Island, and that the unknown aircraft was now 'right on top of me'. Melbourne ATC radio-operator then heard a loud grinding noise on the radio that lasted for 17 seconds, then the radio from Valentich's aircraft went dead. No trace of him or his aircraft was ever found. Valentich's father said that if his son's aircraft had simply had engine trouble and gone down in the sea, then why was his son reporting the sighting of another aircraft hovering over him?

Not the only aircraft that disappeared without trace over the Bass strait.

Graham
Plenty of planes gone missing over the straight.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Certainly have, Gut. Fred Valentich was, however, a trained pilot with many hours to his credit. And I believe the Bass Strait is only about 125 miles of open sea.

I believe that a Tiger Moth aircraft went missing a few years before Valentich,
but that this was put down to possible sabotage by proponents of a hydroelectric scheme that the occupants of the Tiger Moth were opposed to. Is that really how Australians go about things they don't agree with???

I've also read that its reputation as a 'death trap' of the Australian-built Bristol Beaufort twin-engined bomber was down to the number of these aircraft that went missing over the Bass Strait during WW2. However, I believe that the Strait was used for very low-level bombing and torpedo-dropping exercises, the most dangerous to the crews of all airborne attacks.

Graham
Old 06-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Commisioner

Yeah probably under 150 miles depending on just where you are gong two and from, but pretty wild conditions at times, you should cross it on the water wow, some of the worst conditions I've ever sailed.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Another weird aviation-related disappearance was over Lake Superior in 1953 when a USAAF Scorpion aircraft was scrambled to intercept an un-recognised aircraft coming in across the Lake from Canada. The USAAF claimed that the unknown aircraft was an RCAF C-47 (Dakota) but the RCAF denied that such an aircraft was airborne anywhere near Lake Superior on that day. For reasons not known to me, this is known as the Kinross Incident, and apparently much loved by UFOlogists.

Graham
Old 06-02-2015, 02:38 PM
Superintendent

Amy Lynn Bradley's disappearance is quite a high profile missing persons case. The consensus seems to be that she was kidnapped from the ship and sold into human trafficking, but I've never bought into this theory. A 20-something year old American woman abducted from a cruise-ship who according to various eyewitnesses has been flaunted about by her captors several times since. 'Sex trafficking' just seems to be the go-to explanation every time a young woman goes missing. I think she either had an accident and fell overboard or someone on the ship attacked her and tossed her over the side when he was done.

That said, the picture of the prostitute that was uncovered on an adult services site does bear a strong resemblance to her - http://i.imgur.com/p1LHDVn.jpg
Old 06-02-2015, 08:17 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Another weird aviation-related disappearance was over Lake Superior in 1953 when a USAAF Scorpion aircraft was scrambled to intercept an un-recognised aircraft coming in across the Lake from Canada. The USAAF claimed that the unknown aircraft was an RCAF C-47 (Dakota) but the RCAF denied that such an aircraft was airborne anywhere near Lake Superior on that day. For reasons not known to me, this is known as the Kinross Incident, and apparently much loved by UFOlogists.
"Kinross" comes from the fact that the F-89C involved was based at Kinross AFB in Michigan. It's also called the "Moncla case", after the name of the pilot, Felix Moncla.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:31 PM
Superintendent

Don't know if people have been keeping up, but it looks like the Lyon sisters case has been solved. Lloyd Welch has been indicted in the deaths of the two girls who disappeared 40 years ago. Their remains have yet to be discovered.

This gives hope that other cold cases from this time can still be solved.