How were the MJK photos taken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How were the MJK photos taken?

Since Kelly's room was small and cramped, did it pose any problem for the photographer? Would it have been easier to shoot the front-view photo from outside the room through one of the two windows? There was another photo taken from the back of the room. How was that accomplished really? The back of the room was a wall partition that was very close to the bed. That spot offered even less space to put the camera than the front of the room.

We would still need to know the camera(s) that was used. I know of the drawing showing the photog taking a pic using a tripod [MJK1?], but i,ve wondered if the same camera was used on MJK3. It is a more vertical photo than the wide-shot MJK1. Did the cameraman use another camera, or could he have angled his xamera on its side? Could they have changed the aperture?

I,m still under the belief that there is a doorknob in MJK3 with light shining thru the window from behind a ,curtain,.
    Last edited by Robert St Devil; 09-01-2016, 09:13 AM.
    there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Originally posted by YomRippur View Post
      Since Kelly's room was small and cramped, did it pose any problem for the photographer? Would it have been easier to shoot the front-view photo from outside the room through one of the two windows? There was another photo taken from the back of the room. How was that accomplished really? The back of the room was a wall partition that was very close to the bed. That spot offered even less space to put the camera than the front of the room.
      Do you think this sketch was in the press because that is what witnesses saw?

Courtesy of Stewart Evans.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

The bed is too fancy, there are too many pillows and bedding, the room seems far too spacious, and has a plank floor. Plus, the victim's head is positioned somewhat differently.

I think the artist used the ever-popular "artistic license."
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
          The bed is too fancy, there are too many pillows and bedding, the room seems far too spacious, and has a plank floor. Plus, the victim's head is positioned somewhat differently.

I think the artist used the ever-popular "artistic license."
          All true. However, the artist gets right the correct side of the bed the pic was taken from, the mutilated breasts and the placement of Kelly's left arm. I have no idea if the artist witnessed the photograph being taken, but at the very least he had some detailed knowledge of the scene. It could be a sketch from memory; a memory that was less than photographic.

Comment

There was also another larger table by the window where the photographer is standing in this sketch.
            other artists included this table in their sketches of the room.
            I recon the pic was taken through the window

Comment

...There was another photo taken from the back of the room. How was that accomplished really? The back of the room was a wall partition that was very close to the bed. That spot offered even less space to put the camera than the front of the room.
              If you slotted a mirror between the bed and partition wall you could take that shot and possibly not need to move the bed at all. You'd just have to reverse the negative to achieve the positive print.

Comment

The bed was with high probability standing in front of the entrance to the room.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
                  We would still need to know the camera(s) that was used. I know of the drawing showing the photog taking a pic using a tripod [MJK1?], but i,ve wondered if the same camera was used on MJK3. It is a more vertical photo than the wide-shot MJK1. Did the cameraman use another camera, or could he have angled his xamera on its side? Could they have changed the aperture?

I,m still under the belief that there is a doorknob in MJK3 with light shining thru the window from behind a ,curtain,.
                  There are a lot of spots in the photograph. What you believe is a door-knob is with high probability one of the bigger spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                    The bed was with high probability standing in front of the entrance to the room.
                    We don't need to talk about probabilities because we know exactly where the bed was from the evidence of Dr Phillips:

"On the door being opened it knocked against a table, the table I found close to the left-hand side of the bedstead and the bedstead was close up against the wooden partition".

Comment

Quick question, is the base of Mary's bed broken or is the white area that looks like split timber a blemish on the original photograph?
                      If it's broken it looks as though the metal container is actually propping the base up.
                      Which would make the bed very difficult to move.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                        There are a lot of spots in the photograph. What you believe is a door-knob is with high probability one of the bigger spots.
                        No, Pierre, it isn,t, but we,ve been down this path before... except now you are calling it a ,,bigger spot,, but in your original theory, it became a hook on the wall or something similar only after I pointed it out to you.
                        there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Originally posted by Yabs View Post
                          Quick question, is the base of Mary's bed broken or is the white area that looks like split timber a blemish on the original photograph?
                          If it's broken it looks as though the metal container is actually propping the base up.
                          Which would make the bed very difficult to move.
                          Blemish.

Metal container is a multi purpose bath/wash tub.
                          Last edited by DJA; 09-02-2016, 07:34 PM. Reason: Added wash tub.
                          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Was there anything in it?

Comment

Working...
                            X