Albert Cadosch -A Secret Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albert Cadosch -A Secret Life

I've started this thread for the benefit of those who don't subscribe to Ripperologist. Until recently nothing was known of the history of Albert Cadosch subsequent to the 1891 census when he is shown as living, with Alice and their children, at 44, Stanwell Street, Colchester.

Sometime between April 1891 and April 1893 Cadosch either walked out on Alice or was shown the door. In April 1893 an Albert Cadosch, supposedly aged only 23, married an Elizabeth Stobart at St Andrews Roman Catholic Church on Worswick Street, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. He was working as a 'Hawker', claimed to be a 'Bachelor' and lived at 224, Pilgrim Street. The Albert Cadosch who gave evidence at the Chapman inquest would have been almost ten years older than this. The details provided of the bridegroom's father are revealing though. The 'true' Albert Cadosch had a father named Paul who died in 1890 and who had been, in his more affluent years, a 'Glass Merchant'. The Newcastle bridegroom's father is shown as "Paul Cadosch deceased" & his 'Rank or Profession' as "Glass and China Merchant". This Albert Cadosch has no recorded history prior to April 1893. The 'true' Albert Cadosch had none after April 1891. They are one and the same. Albert Cadosch was a bigamist. He died in March 1896 in a Newcastle infirmary of what amounts to massive heart failure. He was 3 months short of his 36th birthday, but his age is recorded, in the death register, as 28. A son, also Albert, survived his father by only a few months.

Bottom line: When it suited his purpose, Albert Cadosch told lies - and did so convincingly. Make of that what you will.

Regards, Bridewell.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
    I've started this thread for the benefit of those who don't subscribe to Ripperologist. Until recently nothing was known of the history of Albert Cadosch subsequent to the 1891 census when he is shown as living, with Alice and their children, at 44, Stanwell Street, Colchester.

Sometime between April 1891 and April 1893 Cadosch either walked out on Alice or was shown the door. In April 1893 an Albert Cadosch, supposedly aged only 23, married an Elizabeth Stobart at St Andrews Roman Catholic Church on Worswick Street, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. He was working as a 'Hawker', claimed to be a 'Bachelor' and lived at 224, Pilgrim Street. The Albert Cadosch who gave evidence at the Chapman inquest would have been almost ten years older than this. The details provided of the bridegroom's father are revealing though. The 'true' Albert Cadosch had a father named Paul who died in 1890 and who had been, in his more affluent years, a 'Glass Merchant'. The Newcastle bridegroom's father is shown as "Paul Cadosch deceased" & his 'Rank or Profession' as "Glass and China Merchant". This Albert Cadosch has no recorded history prior to April 1893. The 'true' Albert Cadosch had none after April 1891. They are one and the same. Albert Cadosch was a bigamist. He died in March 1896 in a Newcastle infirmary of what amounts to massive heart failure. He was 3 months short of his 36th birthday, but his age is recorded, in the death register, as 28. A son, also Albert, survived his father by only a few months.

Bottom line: When it suited his purpose, Albert Cadosch told lies - and did so convincingly. Make of that what you will.

Regards, Bridewell.
    I'm so dying to read this, and Fisherman's article that I paid my 12 issues yesterday....hoping they include the current issue ?!

I haven't received any confirmation yet (worrying), but then I paid by Paypal and they need to take the money from my account.
    http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Hi Colin

Very interesting what you have discovered about Cadosch.

Comment

Hi Bridewell. Very interesting article in Rip. I can imagine the editors would have preferred you would promote the article in order to lure more subscribers their way, instead of giving the store away for free, but whatever. Your pic in the article looks nothing like I expected you to look (except maybe the red eyes!). I thought you'd be a jolly fat old guy, but you look like you could still take a thug down. I was shocked to read you'd been a cop for 30 years. It's not at all obvious from your posts.

Having said that, lying to your woman (which we're all guilty of at some time) and screwing up a murder investigation for no reason, are not particularly relative....are they?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I've read it now, Colin (just got my 1st copy of Ripperologist, and it's gripping stuff !).

I thought that it was excellent.

My only gripe was that I really can't believe Mrs Long's testimony either.

(Did you see Errata's perfect comments on what 'witnesses to believe ' ?)

Mrs Long admitted herself that there were often couples in the street at that time.

The couple that she saw were not doing anything more remarkable than talking, so why should she have remembered Annie (a woman that she didn't know, passed in a few seconds) ?

I don't believe that she did. She may have been honest, but it was wishful thinking.

As for Cadosche ...effectively you have cast doubts on his integrity, and now we have to put a question mark against all he said being innocent truths...

Comment

Hi Colin

On the matter of Cadosch disappearing to Newcastle - I find it hard to accept that it wasn't something that he did under pressure. If he had simply wanted to leave his wife and family, he needn't have gone to the other end of the country to do it. Nor is it simply a matter of a simple deception on his bigamous wedding day - he started a new life in which nobody can have known who he really was - at least, it would appear highly unlikely. Cadosch would have had to maintain he new, younger persona for everyone that he met in his new life. His deception was thus intentional and sustained.

It doesn't seem likely that he left for love - I briefly entertained the idea that perhaps he met his future second wife in Colchester and ran off back to Newcastle with her - trying to give him the benefit of the doubt there. But it seems not. She appears not to have ever left Newcastle and the fact that she and Cadosch were living at different houses in the same street when they married rather suggests to me that they met after he had become established in Newcastle.

So I think the conclusion must tentatively be that he was running from something or someone. I see his actions as dramatic and radical - the product of having little choice. What, we can't easily know of course - it could have been debt, crime - anything. Whatever it was, he presumably felt that he couldn't turn to family or friends for assistance.

Then again, it wasn't the first time he'd moved away for a new start, was it? We know that he moved to Colchester earlier. At a time when most people stayed put, that marks him out as different. Maybe because he had already moved from another country when younger, the idea of relocating was familiar to him.

I'm intrigued also by his mysterious operation shortly prior to the death of Chapman; of which no trace can as yet be found in the record. If he wasn't in the yard because he needed to be, then why? Was it just something he said to elude any awkward questions?

Comment

Impossible to know at this remove, but he may have been lonely living in a strange town, when he met a woman who was looking for a husband. His Newcastle bride remarried about a year after he died.

Comment

Someone ought to explicitly state the bleeding obvious eh Colin?

Cadosch most probably shifted out of the East End in late 1888 or early 1889...

So probably did many others, but...?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post

Dave
                  Exactly so Dave. And then did a runner two or three years later. Makes you wonder, eh?

Comment

Dave
                    A new suspect ? How exciting !

I really hope that Colin finds out some more about him
                    (any suspicious murders in any of the other places that he lived ?)

I certainly hope that he finds a photograph.

Are there any descendants ?

Comment

It would explain how the Ripper struck so quickly and escaped so nimbly : it was a matter of extreme urgency.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        It would explain how the Ripper struck so quickly and escaped so nimbly : it was a matter of extreme urgency.
                        What - you mean a quick slash between.. ahem.. visits to the privy?

Comment

Like **** off a shovel as they say...

Dave

Comment

Like **** off a shovel as they say...

Dave
                            You had to go and say it, didn't you Dave? I dunno...

Comment

Alternatively it could be a slash between slashes...might explain the kidney fixation...

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X